Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Honda accord 2.4 type S vibration problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 01:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda accord 2.4 type S vibration problem

Hi everyone , I've done a fair amount of searching on this problem I have with my 2005 accord but I've not found a definitive answer so far.

Basically the problem started as a vibration through the front of the car between 60-70 mph ( any where under or above that speed it's been fine ) this sounded like a drive shaft problem to start with in till I noticed it does it in all gears between 2200-3000 rpm but its not as noticeable in anyother gear. The engine feels and sounds fine plus pulls like a train all the way through the rev range so it doesn't sound like a miss fire or hesitation . All the engine mounts seem to be ok and I can't get the engine to move more than 20mm on its mounts by putting it in forward or reverse gears and lifting the clutch.

I've just about run out of ideas so any help on this problem would be greatly appreciated .

I also have another problem with a roaring noise I get while driving , up to 30 mph it's not noticeable but it's at it worse between 35-45mph and gets higher pitched from then on the faster I drive. It sort of sounds like a shot wheel bearing on the front drivers side but it doesn't change pitch at all when the car changes direction or cornering . I've checked for bearing movement but there is none. Just to add to this it only happens when accelerating under load , when cruising at a steady speed or slowing down it doesn't do it at all.

Sorry for such a long first post but these two problems are really starting to spoil my driving pleasure at the moment .

Again any help from someone that has experience of these two problems would be great.

Steve

Last edited by d.o.a; 02-19-2012 at 01:22 AM. Reason: More info
Old 02-19-2012, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda accord 2.4 type S vibration problem

Didn't know the accord has a Type S...
Old 02-19-2012, 11:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by D-JET
Didn't know the accord has a Type S...
The accord type S is fairly popular here in the uk and Europe in both tourer and saloon forms.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

look for something stuck between the exhaust system & the body (rock, etc) my experience with Honda wheel bearings has been that early in the stages of failure diagnosis is difficult.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:49 PM
Trial User

D.O.A. - not sure if you were able to resolve the vibration issue, I recently bought an 04 accord LX that had the same vibrating issue..it was extremely noticeable between 50-60 but also at lower speeds or whenever I accelerated wasn't as obvious...in my case, it was a 2 part solution, first I had to replace the left side (driver) axle (also referred to as half axle)...that was a pretty simple process and u should be able to find instructions on this site...the second part was my front engine mount (which I'm planning on replacing in the next couple of days). Just replacing the axle thought resolved the majority of the vibration...apparently from research on the net this is a common issue with 7th gen accords..
Hope this helps
Old 07-03-2012, 02:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hondamike04
D.O.A. - not sure if you were able to resolve the vibration issue, I recently bought an 04 accord LX that had the same vibrating issue..it was extremely noticeable between 50-60 but also at lower speeds or whenever I accelerated wasn't as obvious...in my case, it was a 2 part solution, first I had to replace the left side (driver) axle (also referred to as half axle)...that was a pretty simple process and u should be able to find instructions on this site...the second part was my front engine mount (which I'm planning on replacing in the next couple of days). Just replacing the axle thought resolved the majority of the vibration...apparently from research on the net this is a common issue with 7th gen accords..
Hope this helps
Hi mate , Sorry it's taken me so long to respond to your post ( It has indeed been very helpful ).

Here's the update on the problem I have .

The roaring noise that I can hear most of the time above say 30 mph or so is purly down to tyre wear caused by the set values of the rear suspension ( fitting new rear tyres has sorted this for now intill they wear again on the inner edges ).

I still have a vibration which is where the whole car shakes mainly between 60-70 mph and a little in any gear at around 2200rpm to 3000rpm , the two problems seem to be linked as that's about the same rev range when traveling between 60-70 mph. I have found that I have movement where my right hand side inner cv joint meets the intermediate shaft ( movement between the splines ). I have shimmed the splines for the moment which has reduced the vibration a fair amount while I lookout for another intermediate shaft ( the inner cv hasn't worn but the intermediate shaft splines have making it possible for the inner cv to wobble on the shaft ).

This only seems to happen on the 2.4 types with 6 speed gearbox for some reason which leads me to another question . Does anyone know if or which USA version of the accord shares the same intermediate shaft ? Because the 2.4 types over here in the uk doesn't share the same shafts with any of the other models.

Honda parts in the uk are very pricy for what they are and I was hoping I could find a replacement in the USA for less.

Any help would be greatly apprecated .