Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

help

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help

i tried searching but couldnt find a correct answer. so many multiple answers.

now i always thought if you have a frozen caliper or a frozen caliper slide/pin it will cause a hard pedal. now today somebody told me frozen caliper/ frozen slide causes low pedal. low pedal would mean the fluid it not compressible because of air. now how does a frozen caliper/ caliper slide give you the same effect as low pedal. I thought it would be hard pedal.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:19 AM
My Name is Nobody

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: help

It can't as far as I know, UNLESS the lines are flexing and they don't flex that much... it's simple hydraulics
Old 05-06-2009, 05:50 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Frozen slide pins will cause a low brake pedal because the caliper body does not slide back to take up the piston stroke after the brakes are applied. This means that the piston retracts all the way back into the caliper each time you lift off the pedal, and as the pads wear down, the piston has to travel a longer and longer distance each time you push the pedal - which requires a lot of fluid to be moved when the pads are low.

It's the same reason why the pedal engagement point goes to the floor after you push the piston back into the caliper when installing brake pads - only in the case of seized slide pins, the caliper body cannot adjust itself so the pedal engagement point never rises.

It has nothing to do with air in the lines.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa250R
Frozen slide pins will cause a low brake pedal because the caliper body does not slide back to take up the piston stroke after the brakes are applied. This means that the piston retracts all the way back into the caliper each time you lift off the pedal, and as the pads wear down, the piston has to travel a longer and longer distance each time you push the pedal - which requires a lot of fluid to be moved when the pads are low.

It's the same reason why the pedal engagement point goes to the floor after you push the piston back into the caliper when installing brake pads - only in the case of seized slide pins, the caliper body cannot adjust itself so the pedal engagement point never rises.

It has nothing to do with air in the lines.

so to sum it up the slide is what help release the pistons just enough to keep the pads from dragging. so your telling me that the pins are frozen the caliper has no choice but to retract itself and force its self all the way back into its bore. if thats right than i understand. how does a frozen caliper act as a low pedal than. wow this is technicial. dont bash me guys im still in school and learning. ive tried researching and whatnot. thanks guys you guys are the best.