Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

guys. seriously guys. v6automatic guys. seriously

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 09:22 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default guys. seriously guys. v6automatic guys. seriously

CHANGE YOUR TRANSMISSION FILTER. ******* TAKE THE WHOLE DUMB *** TRANS HEATER OFF AND INSTALL A MINIVAN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID PASSAGE AND INSTALL A TRANSMISSION COOLER. AND CHANGE YOUR FILTER/FLUID EVERY 20K MILES WITH Z1 trans fluid.

seriously guys. My transmission is shattered filled with metal shavings and my trans filter was a crinkled up turd. Its gotten thousands of miles on it since then cuz ***** foot, trans cooler, and new filter/fluid.

someone sticky this why didn't nva-av6 tell you guys he told me.
The following users liked this post:
Old 03-07-2014, 09:24 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: guys. seriously guys. v6automatic guys. seriously

03-07 btw. I dont know how the next gen transmissions work. P.s. Nva-av6 will swap your automatic out for a manual for 4,000. Thats hella less than the dealership wants for another autotragic and that's just gonna brake again being that its made out of mashed potatos
Old 03-08-2014, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ATF DW-1 fluid.

I'll never buy another Honda automatic. They are time bombs. They make awesome MT cars thought. I love em.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:20 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I bought one since then, the highest trim 90s civic engine w/ auto. Hella easier swapping to stick than the 2000s accord. But the auto is actually strong. Unlike the dumb v6 auto, but yeah the manual 6-6 is nice. New exhaust and a SC is all they need to kick ***.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Huh?
Old 03-09-2014, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is there a membership fee, for the V6 auto haters society? You must be the Grand PooBaa. They stopped making Z1 a while back, by the way.

Last edited by BLKFLSH; 03-09-2014 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:41 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I do infact hate the v6 auto. But I noticed that tons of ppl here had questions about replacing fluid and trying to save their transmissions after they started acting up. And literally no one mentioned the transmission filter, a vital piece. Nor did anyone recommend a transmission cooler. And I dunno when they stopped making it but my dealership sold me 4 bottles a week ago for an element.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:37 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Ill use the 90s auto transmission fluid for my civic, and I only use fluid that the Accord transmission was designed to use. I bought generic fluid for my girlfriend's Kia when we got her axles replaced and guess what? A few days after, her trans started slipping when really cold or really hot. I still haven't put Kia fluid back in BUT I convinced her to open the throttle less and gradually and that's good enough for now.

moral of the story, use the right fluid and CHANGE YOUR DUMB FILTER.. You should probably install a cooler, too, if you drive hard or for long distances.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How do you feel about the 06+ Auto transmissions?

I feel they were upgraded, but can still fail. Even the newer Acura TL's are having transmission troubles with the torque converters.

I wonder how the CVT trans will hold up over time? Honda makes really good Manual transmissions, and poor automatic transmissions. Replacing the filter is good, but the problem is that the materials inside are wearing away. They need to design a transmission that hardly wears.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I think my transmission is about to grenade itself...it makes a pop in between the 1st-2nd gear shift, under hard acceleration that is...i have an 06...praying for some money so I can go get my fluids changed
Old 03-10-2014, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I do a drain and fill (3 quarts) every 15k miles, and changed the filter 3 times so far. When Honda did the "jet kit" recall I started changing the fluid often, to keep it as clean as possible. I'm at 114k miles, and it hasn't slipped yet. I use the new DW-1 Honda fluid. It's been out for a couple years now, I didn't think any dealerships had any Z-1 fluid left. I don't have a cooler.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just wanted to throw out some hate for Hondas manual transmissions as well. Perhaps I got a bad unit, but I had a 6MT go out on my at 160k. 2nd had issues when I bought the car at 32k. Not sure what the previous owner did to it, but if it wasn't babied into 2nd, it had a tendency to grind. By 160k it was grinding and clicking constantly.

Their manuals might be better, but they're not invincible.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:55 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I didnt change my filter because my local dealerships told me "it doesn't exist". By the time it got pulled out around 130k it was crinkled up garbage. If I get on a PC ill post the picture. I had the whole fluid passage taken off, transmission heater too, and I bought the odyssey fluid passage and a generic trans cooler kit. For about a week the car was behaving even worse, but now it slips half as often as it used to.

highly recommend changing the trans filter every couple or few oil change. And installing a cooler. And I hope we all know about the two pressure switches. Anything is better than spending 2,000 for a reman trans. Or the PITA 4,000 6speed swap
Old 03-11-2014, 07:05 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

P.s. I didnt properly vacuum the air out of the transmission lines to the cooler. Just opened the filler hole and added an extra quart. You're suppose to hook the the return line to a vacuum and put the input line into a quart of fluid. Dunno about filling up the new passage but I'm sure acuraline or whatever their site is has a proper write up on the subject
Old 03-12-2014, 04:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by johnnyb588
Just wanted to throw out some hate for Hondas manual transmissions as well. Perhaps I got a bad unit, but I had a 6MT go out on my at 160k. 2nd had issues when I bought the car at 32k. Not sure what the previous owner did to it, but if it wasn't babied into 2nd, it had a tendency to grind. By 160k it was grinding and clicking constantly.

Most of those issues with grinding was because of driver error, and improper break in. I purchased an RSX-S brand new in 05 and I was excited to have such a fun/quick car. I noticed my 3rd was getting notchy.

I took it to the dealer and they changed the fluid at like 10k, everything was fine after that. They told me to pay attention to my shifting when driving fast. Sometimes your hands are faster than your feet.

Luckily my pre-owned Accord 6-6 was owned by an older woman who I'm sure never drove it aggressively when new. It's the smoothest transmission I have every shifted.

No mechanical device is without flaw, even most of the automatic failures are due to driver neglect with fluid, or being uninformed about the filter change. Honda is mostly at fault though because of the poor design.

Narrow passages, poor clutch pack material, poor 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches, no trans cooler from factory. They could have avoided a lot of this. To this day they still have trans problems. The new TL has torque converter issues that have yet to be fixed, they just extend the warranty on them.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by furious94ls
How do you feel about the 06+ Auto transmissions?

I feel they were upgraded, but can still fail. Even the newer Acura TL's are having transmission troubles with the torque converters.

I wonder how the CVT trans will hold up over time? Honda makes really good Manual transmissions, and poor automatic transmissions. Replacing the filter is good, but the problem is that the materials inside are wearing away. They need to design a transmission that hardly wears.
The CVTs should fix all those problems.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:20 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by cdero
Huh?
That member is trying to up his post count, please ignore.

EDIT: Also note that he doesn't know Hondas, the v6 automatics had one failure and that failure was starvation to the 2nd clutch packs. Thats why v6 AT was a major pain.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:20 AM
Fish Twig

Originally Posted by Bakemono36
The CVTs should fix all those problems.
Forget the CVT, look forward to the 8spd DCT trannies.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:22 AM
Fish Twig

Originally Posted by johnnyb588

So you bought a car at 32k and it was second hand and you're saying the 6sp is a failure as well because the second owner didn't know how to shift into 2nd gear or whoever test drove the car failed to drive stick properly? Come on man, its obvious its not hondas fault on that.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:59 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

"the v6 automatics had one failure and that failure was starvation to the 2nd clutch packs"

right. Thats why if you pull a slipping automatic apart it'l be full of overheated parts, because of 1 single clutch being fluid-starved. Rright.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:51 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

The cooler isn't cheap as the filter or fluid changes, but 50degree drop in temp doubles the life of a transmission. passage part is like 30$, the lines are like 20$ each and the banjo bolts are a few dollars. The labor is pretty easy tho. The hardest part for most people would probably be carefully bending the lines to fit onto the smaller 3.0's trans case vs the 3.5's

I forgot the actual radiator thing and like eight feet of 3/8th pressure tube. But seriously getting rid of a transmission heater and replacing it with a cooler is a no-brainer. Its not that much harder than just changing the filter. Instead of pulling the cap off the passage, slap a whole new one on.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
Forget the CVT, look forward to the 8spd DCT trannies.
If it doesnt have a clutch pedal, Im not interested.

Originally Posted by tony_2018
So you bought a car at 32k and it was second hand and you're saying the 6sp is a failure as well because the second owner didn't know how to shift into 2nd gear or whoever test drove the car failed to drive stick properly? Come on man, its obvious its not hondas fault on that.
Exactly. You cant fault Honda when a tranny quits after 160K.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:10 PM
Fish Twig

Originally Posted by Bakemono36
If it doesnt have a clutch pedal, Im not interested.

Exactly. You cant fault Honda when a tranny quits after 160K.
I'm giving it a try only because they finally outsourced there trannies. I'm still a fave of 5spds and wished that I did not listen to someone and kepted my civic as an auto. There was a reason behind that before that someone told me to keep it auto.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:12 PM
Fish Twig

Originally Posted by P-M-B,93EXsedan
"the v6 automatics had one failure and that failure was starvation to the 2nd clutch packs"

right. Thats why if you pull a slipping automatic apart it'l be full of overheated parts, because of 1 single clutch being fluid-starved. Rright.
What trans heater are you referring to, because none of them come with a transmission heater, and I never heard of that either. Also why would you swap out the v6 tranny to swap in another v6 tranny that was basicly built the same and say its better than the one that came with the accord?
Old 03-14-2014, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The fluid "warmer" is the silver hockey puck looking thing on top of the transmission. And why would Honda put a warmer on the transmission, if it wasn't needed? I love all these "experts" who think they know more about these transmissions than Honda does. If fixing these transmissions was as easy as installing a cooler, it would have been done years ago.

Quick Reply: guys. seriously guys. v6automatic guys. seriously