Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

DIY for water pump and timing belt?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: DIY for water pump and timing belt?

Originally Posted by nataSofCols
Any update on this? I just ordered my timing belt kit from http://www.handa-accessories.com/accmaint06.html and will pick up the tensioner from the local Honda dealership. I haven't had any concerns with doing this until I read your post about the bolt being stuck. Let me know if you have any success.
have you finished this project yet. 4 year honda tech here to help if not.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:09 AM
Trial User

Good timing, haven't started yet, been waiting for a friend to be free on a weekend to help. Going to tear it apart on Sunday and see how it goes. Got a Helm manual, Haynes manual and this beautiful forum to help me through it. Any tips before I get started?
Old 09-08-2011, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nataSofCols
Good timing, haven't started yet, been waiting for a friend to be free on a weekend to help. Going to tear it apart on Sunday and see how it goes. Got a Helm manual, Haynes manual and this beautiful forum to help me through it. Any tips before I get started?

Ya dont take the crank pulley off till you set that sucker in time. Take the top two timing covers off and line up the timing mark on the crank pulley with the one on the lower timing cover. Then make shure the front cam timing mark and the number 1 on the cam gear are lined up with the mark on the valve cover and or facing strait up. Another tip is cut the old timing belt to remove it instead of trying to release the tensioner ( this also helps you to remember that its the old one) then remove the tensioner pulley. Next is the pump, remember that order to save allot of time and lost of frustration. Also remember to replace the tensioner as soon as you take the old one out. This is the easiest time to change out while the tensioner pulley is out of the way. Another tip is to use a floor jack instead of a jack stand to hold the engine up while the side motor mount is out. I usualy do this process break crank pulley bolt loose, place floor jack under oil pan using a block of wood for protection and remove side motor mount. Now you can raise the motor way up and have allot more room to get to the rear timing cover bolts. Raising the motor will also allow the bottom bolt to the motor mount bracket (on the engine)to be completely removed. Now you can set it in time using the cam gear, remember you alredy loosend the crank pulley bolt, so set the front cam with the number one and mark to align with the mark on the valve cover (aka strait up). Then ensure that the mark on the crank pulley and lower cover are lined up. Then remove crank pulley and lower cover. Next cut the timing belt between crank pulley and front cam. Remove belt, remove tensioner pulley, and tensioner. Reinstal in revers order.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:20 AM
Trial User

Thanks for the tips rockdog, forgot to raise the engine (just kept if supported with the jack instead) but I can see now how that would have helped a ton. Had the same problem with the crank bold like Cobra351, but after wasting all kinds of time with different sprays to loosen up the bolt and buying an impact wrench, I used the ol' starter trick and popped that thing right off. Aside from that delay and not knowing now my new torque wrench worked (snapped a bolt), it was a pretty smooth operation. Car is running good, only thing I want to do now is flush out the Prestone that I threw in there and get some genuine Honda antifreeze back in there.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:10 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Here is a detailed video with step-by-step instruction on the replacement of the timing belt on the Honda Acura V6 J Series engine, including the replacement of the pulleys, tensioner, as well as the water pump and special tools needed to complete the job.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Cobra351
crap, i turned the front crankshaft to try and line it up instead of turning the crank. i hope i didn't mess anything up. i doubt it, as the timing belt would turn the crank anyway, right?

also, turning the crank is gonna be tough, i imagine. just use a ratchet and turn it to line it up? thanks guys
Yeah, you could do that but it is much easier to turn the crank shaft instead. You can do that by using a long 1/2" extension bar with a 19mm socket to reach the crank bolt thru the side wall access. Use either a 1/2" ratchet wrench with long handle or a 1/2" breaker bar. It would be much lighter to turn the crank if you remove the spark plugs first.

Last edited by Accordman1; 06-02-2013 at 05:47 PM.