Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

2004 Accord will not crank, jump solenoid-ok

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Accord will not crank, jump solenoid-ok

Hi have just bought a 2004 Accord V6 120,000 miles. Automatic trans. So I have the car less than a week and go to start it and nothing- won't crank, all the lights on the dash light up. So I checked for power at the starter. I have 12v on the big hot lug and nothing on the small spade connection. I checked the spade connector for 12v and for a ground with somebody in the car turning the key all the way as if trying to start car but there is nothing. No voltage or a ground. So I turned the key so ignition switch was on, all lights in cluster on then I jumped the starter solenoid from the hot big lug on to the small spade connection and the engine fires right up and runs fine. I removed starter and had it checked at auto parts store - checks good, I even replaced the starter with a new one, no help. Still need to jump the starter. Ive read the neutral safety switch (NSS) might be bad but I don't have any other symptoms like moving the shift lever thru PRNDL etc will allow engine to start with key. What gives the 12v to the small spade wire on the starter solenoid? Ignition switch or NSS aka transmission position switch or range sensor? I even loosened the two bolts on the NSS/range sensor and moved it back and forth as it is somewhat adjustable but car still will not turn over with key. Must jump the starter solenoid. Please HELP!!! RockA sells the NSS for about $60 shipped. I really do not want to throw money at parts not defective. Any idea how to check this NSS? I plan on installing a temporary push button switch connected to the starter solenoid. Thanks for any imput....

Last edited by brokenbus; 03-19-2016 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-20-2016, 01:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 2004 Accord will not crank, jump solenoid-ok

Is there an aftermarket alarm system on the car?

You could always test the trans range switch before just replacing it......then you could also test the starter relay as well.
Old 03-20-2016, 01:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by poorman212
Is there an aftermarket alarm system on the car?

You could always test the trans range switch before just replacing it......then you could also test the starter relay as well.
Old 03-20-2016, 01:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi. Where is this starter relay located that you speak of? Aftermarket alarm? Not sure. How can I tell? There's a flashing blue light little button on the drivers side above the dash on the A pillar. A flashing red light little button on the dash. The 1 key I have does have a red panic button which works but the door lock does not work on drivers door other doors and trunk lock appear to work with key.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The starter relay is located in the under dash fuse panel.

Those lights, I can't place them and they don't sound factory. Meaning I'm willing to bet someone put an aftermarket alarm. Do either of this lights have an actual "push" type to them, like a re-set. If not look around under the dash, hood release area for some sort of button that might re-set the alarm....
Old 03-20-2016, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I can't find start relay under hood or next to driver leg fuse panel. Nothing marked START. Anyway I swapped the three square black fuses in the engine compartment fuse box as they all had the same part number. No help.

Lights. The red one is factory because its imbedded in dash and labeled anti theft. The blue one on the driver a pillar? No idea. There is a very small black push button down by drivers leg fuse box. Pushing it does nothing.

I have installed a remote start switch to the solenoid so it starts fine that way but I still need a decent fix as this is my daughters car and she's a new driver and now she has to get outside and push the starter button as I have it mounted in the lower air dam as running wires through the firewall is to daunting.

Anyone know where I can get a wiring diagram for this model?
Any other ideas?

Thanks
Old 03-21-2016, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by brokenbus
Anyone know where I can get a wiring diagram for this model?
Any other ideas?

Thanks
All Data diy .com
Old 03-21-2016, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Online manual can be had from places like: www . "automanualsource" . com - for $22~$27

The starter cut relay can be found in the under dash fuse panel, as you look at it, it should be the on the lower rows of relays, last one on the left side.

Again, the blue light and that push button tell me there is some sort of aftermarket alarm. Not sure what type or how it is wired in so really hard to try to help in figuring out what it is doing but I suspect it is causing the issue with the car.

You could look under the steering wheel for any type of "inline" fuses and see if they are blown. Wild guess, disconnect the battery for a few minutes. Re-connect it and press the small black push button, see if the car will start normally
Old 03-21-2016, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The starter circuit is pretty simple......I suspect it is in the aftermarket system that is spliced into it that is the issue.

The trans range switch - auto, I assume this is an auto trans car? applies the ground to the relay.
Attached Images  
Old 03-21-2016, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update, yes this car has a CODE ALARM aftermarket security installed which has now been removed. I took it to a auto alarm installer and paid him to remove it, which he did and spent at least 30 minutes trying to start it with the key which it never did. He showed me that its sending a signal to the starter when the key is in the start position so we know its the NSS, cut out relay or a broken wire. Now that the aftermarket junk security system is out of the picture I ordered a NSS. I still can't find that cutout relay. So I will report back when the part arrives. Thanks for everyone's help.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by brokenbus
He showed me that its sending a signal to the starter when the key is in the start position
IF this is true, either signal is weak, how many volts? Or the starter is dead.

The starter does not know what gear the trans is in, the signal to the starter is controlled by the trans range switch. Look at the circuit I posted, then the car is in P or N, there is a ground signal to the starter relay - LT GRN wire
Old 03-23-2016, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by poorman212
IF this is true, either signal is weak, how many volts? Or the starter is dead.

The starter does not know what gear the trans is in, the signal to the starter is controlled by the trans range switch. Look at the circuit I posted, then the car is in P or N, there is a ground signal to the starter relay - LT GRN wire
Hi as stated in my opening post, jumping the solenoid starts the car every time. Replaced starter-no help, bench checked original starter-checks good and re-installed, replaced NSS or Trans range switch-no help, removed new NSS and installed original, swapped out the starter cut out relay-no help. The GREEN wire you speak of, this is the same green wire the alarm guy (who removed the aftermarket crap alarm) showed me that when the key is turned to the start position, sends a signal to the spade connection on the starter solenoid. So I ran a new 12 gauge wire (to be safe I used large gauge wire) thru the firewall and connected one end to the Green wire behind the driver kick panel and the other end to the solenoid. Car now starts with key. So we can close this issue. I fixed the car but have no idea what is really wrong with the factory setup. I spent many hours working on this issue and have put it behind me. Thanks for eveyone's help.