Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

2005 Accord Automatic Transmission Problem

Old 07-15-2010, 08:57 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Accord Automatic Transmission Problem

I have a 2005 Accord EX Coupe (V6) and have been having a problem with the automatic transmission fluid. A couple of months ago, I noticed that the car was not shifting smoothly and found that the transmission fluid was very low, so I added 2 quarts. I did not notice any leaks under my car, and this problem started right after an oil change, so I assumed that they unplugged the transmission fluid rather than the oil, and didn't tell me.

I noticed the same problem again last week and again when I checked the transmission fluid it was very low, so I added 2 more quarts. The Honda dealership told me that it will take more than 3 but less than 4 quarts to fill it up entirely, so I know that the fluid is going somewhere...but there is no evidence of it under the hood, or in a puddle under my car. I had the transmission fluid plug and the drip pan bolts underneath looked at, and they didn't seem to be loose.

Does anyone have any thoughts about what could be causing this, or what would need to be done to fix it?

Thanks!!
Old 07-15-2010, 09:07 AM
Old Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: 2005 Accord Automatic Transmission Problem

Originally Posted by 05accordgirl
I have a 2005 Accord EX Coupe (V6) and have been having a problem with the automatic transmission fluid. A couple of months ago, I noticed that the car was not shifting smoothly and found that the transmission fluid was very low, so I added 2 quarts. I did not notice any leaks under my car, and this problem started right after an oil change, so I assumed that they unplugged the transmission fluid rather than the oil, and didn't tell me.

I noticed the same problem again last week and again when I checked the transmission fluid it was very low, so I added 2 more quarts. The Honda dealership told me that it will take more than 3 but less than 4 quarts to fill it up entirely, so I know that the fluid is going somewhere...but there is no evidence of it under the hood, or in a puddle under my car. I had the transmission fluid plug and the drip pan bolts underneath looked at, and they didn't seem to be loose.

Does anyone have any thoughts about what could be causing this, or what would need to be done to fix it?

Thanks!!
If they can't tell the difference between engine and trans block, they should not be working on cars.

How are you checking the trans fluid level? Warm (hot) after use within 1 min or so? or cooled down or cold?
Old 07-15-2010, 10:29 AM
Trial User

I am checking the fluid when the car is warm - per the instructions in the owners manual.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use Honda ATF-Z1
Old 07-25-2010, 05:05 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by 05accordgirl

Thanks!!

all accord v6 transmission are a piece of crap.. if it wouldnt break down so often i would of got a v6 instead of a 4 banger..
Old 07-29-2010, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check the radiator; if the transmission has a higher pressure than the transmission fluid will leak into the radiator via the transmission cooler lines that are in the radiator. You're looking for a brown, murky fluid usually at the top but sometimes a drain of the radiator is necessary to see it. If it is that way, TOW it to the shop and replace the radiator and flush the trans fluid and put in a new filter. Even a small amount of radiator fluid in the trans will eat the gasketing material and cause the clutches to slip, grind, warp, lose mass and then the trans is toast, it doesn't take long either. If you want to see what it looks like, mix some trans and radiator fluid together and you'll see.

Otherwise, check the transfer case gasket (Bolts the trans to the engine), gaskets at both axles & CV joints and the tubes between the radiator and transmission for leaks. Take it in to the dealer for an oil change; they'll put it up on the racks and ask them if you can take a peek, use a gazilliion LED flash light; $40 well spent. Some leaks leave a big mess, others are intermittent and don't. You can throw a small amount of fluorescent oil dye into the trans fluid, run the car for a week or two, then put it up on the racks and take a look underneath with a blacklight; cracked casing, bad servo gaskets, etc can also cause it and the leaks can be very slow and extremely well hidden.