Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

2004 Honda Accord Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Honda Accord Starting Problems

Hi Everyone! I have a 2004 Honda Accord LX with 170K miles. I've been having off again on again starting problems (sluggish starts) since December 2013. Replaced battery in December with a modest improvement. Started having problems again in February when it almost put me down. Checked battery and aternator at home and two different auto parts places, everything fine. Took it to Sears on a whim (almost didn't start to get it there). They checked battery/alternator (didn't work on/fix anything) and said it was fine. Started car at Sears to leave and it started like a brand new car, better than it has in a long time. I have no idea what happened there.

It worked fine for a couple of more months then started the sluggish starts again until it didn't start one day. Waited about 5 mins and got it to start decently. checkced the battery and alternator that day and all was fine. It waited another week and would start again. Finally got it to turn over, very sluggish.

And finally two days ago, tried to start it and only got two pitiful cranks and then a hummm. Went out this morning and it started right up. I'm thinking the starter, but does it just come and go like that? I never get only "clicks" when trying to start, it does try to crank (just slowly). Maybe a loose connection to starter, batter cable?? Would spark plugs/wires affect this? I can hear the fuel pump kick in when I turn the key on and am having no other electrical problems.

I would greatly appreciate any advice! Thank you!
Old 05-12-2014, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2004 Honda Accord Starting Problems

Make sure all connections are tight and corrosion free. If they are, you are more than likely having an intermittent problem with the starter.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you for your reply! I'll make sure of that. So a starter can just act up intermittantly before completely dying? Is there a way to test the starter without removing it from the vehicle?
Old 05-12-2014, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, it's actually a pretty common complaint that comes through the shop. Shops will have the diagnostic tools to test it in the vehicle but if the starter is on it's best behavior at the time of the test, it will pass. As for a way to test it at home, nothing you can really do unless, you have access to electronic load testing equipment.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you again!! Now to get my car to act up on que for the mechanic.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just wanted to let any readers know that the starter was the problem. My car's starting problems became increasingly worse. It would crank sluggishly and then then turn over, but sometimes didn't. I was able to eventually get it to start when it would put me down with multiple attempts. I had the starter replaced almost a week ago and it has been starting fine since.

Thanks for your help! Just wanted to add the resolution in case anyone else has a similar experience.
Old 07-25-2015, 05:47 AM
Trial User

Thanks for the post. I've been having the same intermittent problems with my 2004 accord 4 cylinder for a few years. I keep buying new batteries and it seems to work better for 6 months. I'll now try changing the starter.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2004 Honda Accord Starting Problems starts when it wants to.

We have a very stubborn 2094 Honda Accord lx v6 that is so frustrating.

one day the car starts great and turns on and off all day no issues. Another day you turn the key on and get all the instrument panel lights as hopefully it will start and zilch zero nada. It doesn’t crank, it doesn’t grind or whine it does nothing! No click no noise at all just won’t start.

we leave it alone for a few days then it starts again as nothing had happened.

is my car possessed???? Does it literally decide when it can be driven? Because it’s my only car and I really need it to be dependable for work.

so I had the alternator tested it’s good
new battery it’s got plenty of cranking Amps

the only thing the car does sometimes is have a light buzzing noise when you insert the key. It’s like a bug getting zapped kind of noise. It makes me believe something is triggering it’s defense mode to shutdown all starting systems as if I’m stealing it.

Does anyone have a clue what’s happening with my car?

thank you!