Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Cylinder Deactivation Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 01:56 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 Cylinder Deactivation Problems

Hi guys new to the forum.

I have a 2010 Honda accord EX-L V6 and the other day the engine malfunction light came on. I took it to my mechanic who I completely trust about cars and he coded it and said it was a cylinder deactivation problem. I called honda and they said they would need to wait until the code came up again before they could see what the problem was.

I have read a little about this on forums etc and it seems to be a big problem if it happens. Others say that a louder engine and burning through oil quickly is a sign it really has cylinder problems. Both of which my accord seem to do.

This is my 3rd accord and I haven't ever had any real problems. But this is my first v6.

Can you please help!!
Old 02-27-2013, 06:36 AM
Old Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Cylinder Deactivation Problems

This is a common issue with J35 V6 with VCM. Yes, it's caused by the cylinder deactivation. Your check engine light will come one, it will misfired, that's because one or more of the spark plugs are dead.

I would take care of it ASAP as a misfire can cause fuel to be unburn, and that will damage the cat. That's where the $$$$$ is at.

You can do this. 1. Clear the code. And 2. Change the plugs. This is assuming there was no damage to the cat, from the engine misfiring.

Or you can take it back to the dealer. If your car is out of warranty, they will charge an dianostic fee about $120 (that's my dealership rate), and the spark plugs and labor, taxes, etc. My cost was $160 total.

So why take it to a dealership? There is a software update that only a dealership will have. From what I read, it makes the VCM less sensitive so it kicks in less.

I have two J35 V6 cars. I'm not sure if I'll wait for the plugs to go bad, or just change out the plugs. $160 does buy a lot of plugs, but does not buy the software. If I change out the plugs, maybe I don't need it. You call, your decision.

Considering J35 engine is a corporate V6 engine, it's common.

P.S. That's why following the "recommended service schedule" is not always the best thing. Sparks plugs replacement at 100K? I rather change them out earlier, for example. This example is a perfect case.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's only the rear plugs, usually only one that gets fouled and needs to be replaced. They are expensive plugs, no need to change all of them for a single one causing a misfire. We see them everyday at work, replace the dead plug, update the pcm, and go on your way.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:13 PM
Trial User

Awesome thanks. I plan on taking it in ASAP
Old 03-10-2013, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea typically is cylinders 3-6 with the issue
Old 10-06-2013, 12:51 PM
Trial User

I have a different theory of this issue that also relates to the oil consumption issue we see with these cars.
The cylinder deactivation system, when operating causes oil to be pulled into the cylinder then pushed out the exhaust, causing the oil loss problem, the plugs fouled is a by-product of the de activation because the oil is deposited on the plugs and if the car is not driven in a spirited manner (push the car to the high rpm shift points on a regular basis) and (drive at greater than normal speeds or at a higher speed in a lower gear so revving the engine higher) will clear the plugs and also the code once the computer senses the plugs are again firing. Now if your plugs are too clogged then you would have to replace or clean them out. They aren't ruined but clogged with deposits.
I've done this with my wife's Crosstour and it works well. Now I just take it out on the interstate, make it hit second and third at the high rev point automatic shift then let it run at a (over) the speed limit for a bit.
Those of us who remember the good old days with Quadrajets and Thermoquads, remember having to take the parents old barges out and cleaning them out with a couple of hard high rpm passes that would unload the carbs and valves/cylinders, this is the same thing.
Tell me they are building these with the best computer settings that get the best mileage and best exhaust emissions, I know better , they can do much better and don't on purpose.
KWKd
Old 10-06-2013, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

GoLowDrew is correct. I took my 09 V6 to the dealer. Don't let them run a diagnostic unless your check engine light is on. If it doesn't show, they won't get a code to diagnose, but will charge you, $120+.

I noticed a shutter/hesitation in mine with the VCM light activating at weird times. As was mentioned, the dealer does have a system upgrade. Honda isn't real helpful in admitting the problem, but there is a fix. It does decrease the sensitivity of the VCM activation and it worked very well for my car. I changed the plugs myself to save money, though the plugs for these cars aren't cheap. The cost from my dealer was $70 for the system upgrade and only took 15 min. You might have to haggle with the service department to just to the system upgrade, but that's simply all it is. Don't let them upcharge you for a full diagnostic check, unless your check engine light is on and they have an actual code to clear.

Best of luck with the process, hope it works out for you. I also posted a thread a while back with a service bulletin, I'll try and find it to attach for you.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Honda Service Bulletin, SB 11-033 dated, 8/2011.

The dealership honored the service bulletin even though I was out of warranty. If you google the service bulletin you should be able to print it out and bring it in. It helped me to have the bulletin to hand to the service rep. Also you might find a more current one since the one I found.

Good luck.