Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Am I an idiot?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I an idiot?

I did a quick search didnt come up with much so sorry if this is repeat question. I own an 03 Accord v6 6speed. Looking for a decent amount of power with out boost. Would doing a 50-75 dry shot of nitrous be a bad idea? The car is real solid. It has 145,000 miles on it (I feel like that might be a lot for nitrous) but like I said it is solid as can be with no problems. Any input is appreciated. What do ya guys think?
Old 08-24-2009, 01:08 PM

Default Re: Am I an idiot?

nitrous is only temporary. its all fun until you run out. Then what.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ekhatch66
nitrous is only temporary. its all fun until you run out. Then what.
Refill? lol
Old 08-24-2009, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Say goodbye to your engine if you do this.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:22 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

generally, wet > dry...

as long as your pump can handle the extra demand, and you are sure to monitor the a/f after you install the kit to assure that it is jetted properly, i don't see a wet 50 shot causing any particular issues on a well maintained high mileage bottom end. if the bottom end can handle 6lbs of boost, it can handle a well-jetted 50 shot.

IMO NX makes the best wet kits on the market....import EFI kit is a very simple and affordable kit.

if you wanted to get fancy, you could probably dial-in a piggy back to fine tune things during nitrous.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by builthatch
generally, wet > dry...

as long as your pump can handle the extra demand, and you are sure to monitor the a/f after you install the kit to assure that it is jetted properly, i don't see a wet 50 shot causing any particular issues on a well maintained high mileage bottom end. if the bottom end can handle 6lbs of boost, it can handle a well-jetted 50 shot.

IMO NX makes the best wet kits on the market....import EFI kit is a very simple and affordable kit.

if you wanted to get fancy, you could probably dial-in a piggy back to fine tune things during nitrous.
Do you know roughly how much the cost difference is between wet and dry?
Old 08-24-2009, 03:42 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Originally Posted by SlowCG
Do you know roughly how much the cost difference is between wet and dry?
roughly, i'd say they are priced about 100 dollars apart. but, any price difference isn't worth the safety difference between the two kits. i've had my fair share of issues with dry kits through the years and about 10 years ago sold myself on wet kits.

the NX kits use really high quality parts, and have more parts than dry in order for the fueling support, whereas most dry kits out there use inferior components and have less parts because they are only dry, so you can see why the prices would be different.

i'd say, on average, an import EFI kit from NX is about 600ish, and the dry kit from NOS is 500ish. used, you could probably find both for half that.

i know zex has come out with wet kits in the last few years, and they are probably priced pretty cheap, but i don't know about the functionality of them...whereas i know NX will do the job.

i wish i could provide more info for you specific to your accord.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:13 AM

The only problem with nitrous oxide is that it is fairly bulky, and the engine needs a lot of it. Like any gas, it takes up a fair amount of space even when compressed into a liquid. A 5-liter engine running at 4,000 rotations per minute (rpm) consumes about 10,000 liters of air every minute (compared to about 0.2 liters of gasoline), so it would take a tremendous amount of nitrous oxide to run a car continuously. Therefore, a car normally carries only a few minutes of nitrous oxide, and the driver uses it very selectively by pushing a button.

In layman terms, your going to need to refill so often and the fun will be short lived.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

one more thing.. transmission.. is it auto? if so i would suggest changing that fluid more often then 30k like ever 12k... even if you dont spray id do it about every 20k...
Old 08-25-2009, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for all the info man I really appreciate it. And to the other guy asking if I was stick, I have the 6 speed.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:46 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Originally Posted by robert@bisimoto
In layman terms, your going to need to refill so often and the fun will be short lived.
it's relative though. think of it in this context- a pass down the drag strip while spraying a 50 shot in that car might be, what...13 seconds and some change? i'd venture to guess a 10lb bottle might yield 30 or so of those passes. if you have two bottles, then you are looking at 60 1/4 mile passes...13 minutes of juice. that is a decent amount from one refill trip, especially if you are sensible and mature...and understand MODERATION when driving that thing around.

i think for the casual user, and one who is only using a 50 shot...a properly tuned and well engineered juice kit can be a nice thing to have around, especially in a car that already probably runs a mid-14.

otherwise, i'd recommend a turbo kit because while the initial investment for the juice kit is cheap, those refills can creep up on you, and you don't have any part throttle excitement using nitrous.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah this mod will not be a daily use by any means. Would probably only use it a few times a week at best. I feel like I could make a bottle last somewhere around a month. I would not overuse this just messing around here and there. Would probably get most of its use on the weekends when going to car meets and what not. All this insight is great and its everything I have been wanting to hear haha. Just for the record the best I have ran this car in the quarter was a 14.7 with just an AEM v2 intake. And at the time had wicked bent axles. So im assuming with the juice I would be in the 13's with a car with no bent axles anymore lol.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dry is terrible do a wet fogger.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont see this being a practical power adder for day to day driving. i mean seriously sit back and think on that one. not to mention how your state laws may vary but i know va is 500 dollar fine for a vehicle cought with a hooked up tank on the road. i think we might even have some small stipulations on how u even transport a tank in a vehicle equiped with the system while on the street. (example: from home to the track) but im not certain what those stipulations might be if any. then again thats va

i seriously think its a stupid idea to have nitrous on anything that isnt being put together with the soul intentions of track usage. i think ur gonna waist your money an your motor real quik.

EDIT: ROOM MATE JUST MENTIONED TO ME ITS 500$ PER SO MANY GIVEN POUNDS...how many pounds? im still looking into that

Last edited by o0Jash0o; 08-25-2009 at 11:29 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=builthatch;39750723]a pass down the drag strip while spraying a 50 shot in that car might be, what...13 seconds and some change? i'd venture to guess a 10lb bottle might yield 30 or so of those passes. QUOTE]

I had a ten pound bottle in my hatch. It ran about mid 13's on a 70 shot. I would only get 4-5 consistent runs without running out. There is no way he'll get 30 passes. Just my insight.

and to o0Jash0o: Nitrous is about 5.00/lb now. So 5x10=$50 about every fill-up.
It's a fun experience and a 50 shot won't hurt anything. But do a wet shot please and monifter the A/F ratio.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by o0Jash0o
i dont see this being a practical power adder for day to day driving. i mean seriously sit back and think on that one. not to mention how your state laws may vary but i know va is 500 dollar fine for a vehicle cought with a hooked up tank on the road. i think we might even have some small stipulations on how u even transport a tank in a vehicle equiped with the system while on the street. (example: from home to the track) but im not certain what those stipulations might be if any. then again thats va

i seriously think its a stupid idea to have nitrous on anything that isnt being put together with the soul intentions of track usage. i think ur gonna waist your money an your motor real quik.

EDIT: ROOM MATE JUST MENTIONED TO ME ITS 500$ PER SO MANY GIVEN POUNDS...how many pounds? im still looking into that
Im not looking to use this nitrous set up as day to day use. That would add up to be a pretty penny after all the fill ups. Like I said before in this thread. This will maybe be used a few times a week at best. Not every day by any means, and as far as wasting my motor its only going to be a 50-75 shot. Im sure you know guys SC and Turbo there cars making a lotttttt more power on a stock motor. Check out v6p.net for instance. Lots of guys on there with a lot more power then me. Some guys are even spraying more than a 50-75 shot and have seen no problems for a while.

Keep the insight coming guys its all good stuff.