Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

2003 Accord EX V6 - TCS Light Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 06:15 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 2003 Accord EX V6 - TCS Light Question

We have a 2002 Accord EX V6, just over 40k miles. This morning we started the car and the TCS light came on, stayed on, and the car would not go into gear. Could low brake fluid cause this? Could it be a timed maintenance alert (in which case defeating the car's ability to drive is extreme)? Recently replaced the brake switch light and it's worked fine for 3 months since that work. Car can't move now.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:40 PM
Trial User

hey guys, according to my scanner the TCS (torque converter solenoid) indicator comes on the dash when there is irregular voltage to the torque converter solenoid. I have the same problem and I can't understand how changing the brake switch fixed your problem. please, someone with knowledge, elaborate on this issue.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2003 Accord EX V6 - TCS Light Question (H2290)

Originally Posted by cbenko
I also have a TCS light come on almost everytime I drive but it only comes on after a few minutes of driving and sometimes does not come on at all. I can always get rid of it by restarting the car. I have an appointment to get it checked out this weekend. No other lights come on at the same time. I have read that if the Check engine light comes on as well that the transmission might be an issue if the car is throwing trans codes. Any help or knowledge on the TCS would help. Also, is there a way to just disable the TCS light by fuse or something similar. I could live with out TCS...

Thanks...

Update, The light did not come on for the service guys ($98) so they told me to come back when it does. They said no codes came up...

Modified by cbenko at 12:58 PM 8/23/2007

My 03 Accord TCS light would come on randomly initially as well and I could not determine why. Hooked up the code reader and no code came up. Recently, it came on nearly every time I drove the car but I noticed that it comes on every time when I press the brake pedal. I ordered the brake switch to replace the stock one. As it turned out, the old brake switch still works but it was out of alignment with the pedal. Reseated the brake switch got rid of my TCS light. Moral of the story is, diagnose the problem first before replacing any part. BTW, You can turn off the TCS system from the dash switch but you cannot turn off the TCS light because it is triggered from the ECM. Once the TCS light is on, you cannot turn off TCS.

Last edited by Accordman1; 05-23-2013 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by spd72
hey guys, according to my scanner the TCS (torque converter solenoid) indicator comes on the dash when there is irregular voltage to the torque converter solenoid. I have the same problem and I can't understand how changing the brake switch fixed your problem. please, someone with knowledge, elaborate on this issue.
You need to read the car manual, TCS is traction control system, not your tranny. The TCS light comes on when the brake switch is defective or the wheel speed sensor on the wheel is defective or the TCS modulator is defective. The latter two problem should throw some ODB II code.

Last edited by Accordman1; 05-23-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2003 Accord EX V6 - TCS Light Question (bfos7215)

Originally Posted by wellinghurst
My dealer replaced the ABS module and it was fixed-I had the same problem. The first time I took it in they replaced the brake switch, but that didn't do any good. The ABS module costs about 1000.00 if it's not under warranty-mine was still covered. It's about 1000.00 for the module through the dealer.
I wondered about this fix from the dealer. If the ABS light did not come on, I don't know why it was the ABS module fault. There is a TCS/VSA modulator on this model year which coincidentally costs $1000 retailed, $750 on line, probably 1/2 of that rebuilt. I think this might be what they replaced, not the ABS module. The TCS modulator uses the ABS wheel speed sensors to control wheel spins so it could be the defective wheel speed sensors too.

Last edited by Accordman1; 05-23-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2003 Accord EX V6 - TCS Light Question (H2290)

Originally Posted by cbenko
I also have a TCS light come on almost everytime I drive but it only comes on after a few minutes of driving and sometimes does not come on at all. I can always get rid of it by restarting the car. I have an appointment to get it checked out this weekend. No other lights come on at the same time. I have read that if the Check engine light comes on as well that the transmission might be an issue if the car is throwing trans codes. Any help or knowledge on the TCS would help. Also, is there a way to just disable the TCS light by fuse or something similar. I could live with out TCS...

Thanks...

Update, The light did not come on for the service guys ($98) so they told me to come back when it does. They said no codes came up...

Modified by cbenko at 12:58 PM 8/23/2007
I know it is a old post but I had similar problem. The TCS light would come on randomly and I could not figure out why. Hooked up the ODB II scanner and nothing came up. After checking around, it is the damned brake switch. I ordered a new brake switch but I checked the old one anyway first. Reseated the old brake switch and it worked fine, the TCS light is gone. Apparently, after 9 years of braking, the brake switch is slight out of alignment with the pedal, that is why some time it works and some time it does not and that why the damned TCS light. So, first thing is to check the brake switch and reseat it to make sure the electrical connection is good. If that does not work, replace it. If that failed, now you have to check on the TCS/VSA modulator and the wheel speed sensors. I would think these would throw a code on the ODB II reader.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:45 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by ataie
on my 03 Accord Ex, the TCS, and the little triangle to the left of it (both in orange color) come on after driving for a few seconds. The brake light also is on (in red).

I'm taking the car to have the brakes checked first make sure the pads and sensors are ok. so what next? should I replace the switch under the pedal?

If ABS module is faulty I would think the ABS light would be on. I tried the ABS and it is working. For those who may need an ABS module there are places that rebuilt your old module for about $300. Just do a search on the web.

thanks,
03 Accord EX
Hey how are you I got the same issue as you the tcs lights on and break light and the triangle on my 2003 v6 accord did you ever got to find out the real problem and fix it?