Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

09 Accord Mysteriously Unlocked??

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 08:45 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 09 Accord Mysteriously Unlocked??

Hi guys, my parents bought a leftover 09 Accord EX-L w/ Navi Sedan a few months back, but recently we've had a problem with the alarm/door locks. It looks like someone has managed to get into the car twice now without setting off the alarm and searched the centre console and other cubbies (thankfully we've left nothing in the car). My parents have always made sure to press the lock button on the keyfob twice to get the confirmation "honk" from the car, but still somehow someone's managed to get in.

Is there any chance someone's captured the transmitter's code? I called the local dealer today, and they suggested that slimjiming the car could trick the alarm (sounds like BS to me...), but there's not marks, dirt or gaps near the windows. Anyone have any idea how this guy's getting into the car?!
Old 02-25-2011, 04:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 09 Accord Mysteriously Unlocked??

Why don't you just get a aftermarket alarm. Your parents can add remote start if they like also. Its worth the $200-$300. The stock alarm is a joke. I can tell you that much. I have the same car.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How do you know someone broke in if nothing is missing?

Lots of people forget to lock but won't admit getting old.

They can go to the dealer and have all the remotes cleared and re-added.

Lastly, it it happened in the same place maybe the someone has a key?
Old 02-25-2011, 08:34 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Stuff
How do you know someone broke in if nothing is missing?
The centre console lid, storage lid under the radio, sunglasses holder, etc. have all been left open, so I'm assuming they opened them up to look for things to take.

I know my parents are getting older, but they're not THAT old. That being said though, I'll make sure they're locking the car every time. We have all the original keys, etc which is really bizarre...that's what makes me think someone's got the code from the transmitter and unlocks the car that way. I guess if it happens again I'll reprogram the keys...?
Old 02-25-2011, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cruise
The centre console lid, storage lid under the radio, sunglasses holder, etc. have all been left open, so I'm assuming they opened them up to look for things to take.

I know my parents are getting older, but they're not THAT old. That being said though, I'll make sure they're locking the car every time. We have all the original keys, etc which is really bizarre...that's what makes me think someone's got the code from the transmitter and unlocks the car that way. I guess if it happens again I'll reprogram the keys...?
yea no offence but i to think its just that your parents age is finally starting to catch up with them...i cant see why anybody can get their car broken into more than once and not get anything taken unless they literally have nothing in the car at all including change, owners manuals, ect

if you seriously do think that someone is getting into the car then i do suggest that you get the keys reprogramed but it wont be cheap
Old 02-26-2011, 05:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Reprogramming the keys only affects starting the car, not getting into it. Re-keying the car costs several hundred dollars.

I've got a 45 year old friend who almost always beeps his civic. Almost because sometimes he forgets to lock it at all. I think that the beeping fries the brain since he never had that problem with his previous car that didn't beep.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hum I don't know guys I lock my car (09 accord sedan) and have had ciggs stolen out of them. There was nothing else of value in the car. I make sure to hear the beep exp in my parking place. I'd believe that I locked the doors, then again I am pushing 50 and could be loosing it too.

Last edited by 2009HAEXLNAV; 03-06-2011 at 11:44 AM. Reason: no reason
Old 03-07-2011, 06:20 AM
Old Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1. It would not surprise me that someone has something that will open up a locked car with. It has happened to me, and I heard nothing. And no trigger. It was another brand, not Honda. They took my sunglasses and flashlight. Now, could I have left it unlock? Let's say yes. Once or twice? What are the odds that someone was combing the neighborhood on that day at that time? I'm generally very good about locking my cars. Maybe the stars do align at certain times of the month.

2. If this guy as something from the dealership to do the dirty work, then aftermarket alarm is a good choice.

3. If they took nothing. Then there is nothing to take. They will get passed it. And moved on to another neighborhood or block.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

leave a donut on the seat before the night is over, check if someone took a bite in the morning..you'll know for sure someone is getting in.

all jokes aside... get a nice viper alarm.