Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

05 Accord 2.4 Replaced Timing Chain No Compression

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Accord 2.4 Replaced Timing Chain No Compression

Hi Folks!

A little history: Car was running decent. 175,000 miles. Parked it. After work, it wouldn't start. It fired a couple times but sputtered and wouldn't idle. It threw a P1009 code.

I cleaned the VTC strainer and changed the oil as recommended. No dice. We pulled the valve cover and notice the timing chain was really sloppy.

Ordered a new kit and installed the new chain, guides, and tensioner. We made sure all the timing marks were lined up correctly. (Crank, and Cams.) Note, we did rotate them backwards a few times (not sure if that was a bad thing.)

After getting it all back together, it turned over really fast and was getting no compression. We repeated the timing chain install (two more times) to ascertain it was in time and had not skipped a tooth. It looks picture perfect, but we still have no compression. After turning it over a few times, all timing marks are still lined up.

I have read about the VTC actuator and it having to be locked. It doesn't seem to move at all (installed) so I am assuming it is locked? The VTC actuator was kind of noisy in the past.

Anyone have any thoughts before I nickel and dime myself?

Thanks in advance for your time!
Old 01-11-2014, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you think it skipped a few teeth when the old chain was on there and perhaps bent the valves? That could certainly cause no compression.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 05 Accord 2.4 Replaced Timing Chain No Compression

Thanks for the quick reply. That may be the case. I thought these were non-interference motors though?
Old 01-11-2014, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hoser01
Thanks for the quick reply. That may be the case. I thought these were non-interference motors though?
Nope, they are definitely interference engines. Those pistons and valves will smack each other if the chain is off.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Eeeks. That is what I was afraid of. (not sure where I read the opposite.) Was hoping there would have been something else I missed.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's the news nobody wants to hear. Are you getting no compression in all 4 cylinders? If that's the case, I can pretty much guarantee that the valves are bent.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

We only checked number one which had no compression at all. When it cranks, she spins pretty fast and you can just tell she has little to no compression.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ouch, that hurts. Good luck but I'd definitely check those valves.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the advice. I will probably tackle it later this week. Will post back with results.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you spun in by hand and the timing marks still line up, I would check valve clearance. Once those are set if you still have no compression it's probably time for some head work.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Another thing to check is that the crank pulley is on the correct mark. Honda put two timing marks on these crank pulleys.. easy way is to pull out plug number 1 and put a long screwdriver down it and crank over the engine by hand and when it reaches the up most point you are at top dead..
Old 01-23-2014, 04:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Again, thanks for the suggestions! I have been slammed at work and haven't had an opportunity to tear back into it yet. Might I add one note to this:

Before we replaced the timing chain and were turning it over by hand, it still had compression. If the VTC Actuator is bad, could it cause the timing marks on the cam to not align correctly? Give me a small block Chev any day. This DOHC VTEC stuff is crazy to me!

Again, thanks in advance!
Old 02-17-2016, 10:40 AM
Trial User

I know this repair job is old news, but what was the final reason? I'm in a similar situation with an 2005 Accord. Really appreciate it if you can post up what your repair turned out to be.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:23 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by turbobuick1
I know this repair job is old news, but what was the final reason? I'm in a similar situation with an 2005 Accord. Really appreciate it if you can post up what your repair turned out to be.

Well, maybe this will help someone else someday, but I had a 2005 Accord with a crank, but no start condition. Removing the valve cover, I realized the marks on the cam gears were not lining up with the engine positioned at TDC of the compression stroke of cylinder 1.

I changed the timing chain, guides, and most importantly, the tensioner. Keep in mind, NOW would be the ideal time to change to lower oil pump chain, tensioner, and guide. The oil pan will have to be removed as well. This is the only time to do it, with the timing chain and cover removed.

After putting it together, the engine would not fire up. After I verified the coils were sparking, the fuel pressure was 45-60psi, and the fuel injectors were getting pulsed, I double checked my timing marks on the chain.

As it turned out, I was off by only ONE tooth on the intake camshaft. Bonehead mistake. Anyway, fixed that, and the engine runs great now. Hope this helps someone else.
The following users liked this post:
Old 10-30-2016, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turbobuick1
Well, maybe this will help someone else someday, but I had a 2005 Accord with a crank, but no start condition. Removing the valve cover, I realized the marks on the cam gears were not lining up with the engine positioned at TDC of the compression stroke of cylinder 1.

I changed the timing chain, guides, and most importantly, the tensioner. Keep in mind, NOW would be the ideal time to change to lower oil pump chain, tensioner, and guide. The oil pan will have to be removed as well. This is the only time to do it, with the timing chain and cover removed.

After putting it together, the engine would not fire up. After I verified the coils were sparking, the fuel pressure was 45-60psi, and the fuel injectors were getting pulsed, I double checked my timing marks on the chain.

As it turned out, I was off by only ONE tooth on the intake camshaft. Bonehead mistake. Anyway, fixed that, and the engine runs great now. Hope this helps someone else.
Hoping you can help me turbobuick1. I have an 03 accord, had the dreadful P-0341code. Replaced both cam sensors found out the chain was stretched big time at 6-7teeth out. So I just put a new chain, guides, tensioner, etc... Try to start it I get no compression in any cylinders. Car ran great before all this so I don't see how the valves can be bent. That's what everyone is telling me. All the markings line up perfectly on both cam sprockets on top and crank on bottom. Yes I'm at TDC cylinder 1. I've read about pushing the tensioner piston out one more click. So I tried that still nothing. I've redone the timing 4 times and still nothing. Did compression test (no compression at all), leak test ( no sounds from intake, exhaust, radiator no bubbles, oil dip stick nothing). I'm at a standstill. Can anyone please help. Thank you.
Old 06-16-2020, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you ever measure how much compression you got on the cylinders? Im curious as to how much compression you had after a problem like this. I have my cams unaligned and your input has me thinking, were yours off too? Mine by maybe 17 teeth. My Right cam is at twelve o'clock whilst my left cam is at 9'oclock or less.