Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with Heat/AC on 2003 Honda Accord EX

Car specifics.

2003 Honda Accord EX Sedan
62,000 miles
Manual Tranmission
Indash 6disc CD Player - No Nav
Does not have dual climate.

This late summer our AC would suddenly stop working. Blower fan works fine and adjusts to the fan settings as it should. However the car will only blow out hot air. Much, much, much hotter air than what was outside.

We ran the hvac self diagnostic test found here: http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6778

The response was the re-circulation indicator blinking three times and then repeating over and over again.

I've not had much luck figuring out what the code means, does anyone have the list of DTC for the HVAC?

I did see something once that I thought it referred to three blinks as a problem with the airmix control linkage, door, or motor. Does this sound right to anyone? Does anyone have any ideas on troubleshooting this?

Thanks,
:Isaac:
Old 09-27-2011, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Problem with Heat/AC on 2003 Honda Accord EX

Problem with air mix control linkage, doors, or motor circuit. Should be on driver's side. Part #6 in the following link:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...y5=HEATER+UNIT
Attached Images  
Old 09-27-2011, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Right on, thank you. I'll take a look tonight.

Anyone had any experience if this is typical to be the linkage or the motor?

Any suggestions for testing each component? I.e. testing the linkage or the motor?
Old 09-27-2011, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When the air blows hot is the a/c compressor clutch engaged? The symptoms you're describing are similar to a failing "field coil" a.k.a "clutch coil". With the a/c switched to on, if both the outside fans are running, the inside blower is running, but the compressor clutch is not turning then most likely you've got a failing coil. Why not look at the air mix motor while you're adjusting the temperature. Check if the motor moves in correlation with the temperature being changed from hot to cold.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by justinsbg
When the air blows hot is the a/c compressor clutch engaged? The symptoms you're describing are similar to a failing "field coil" a.k.a "clutch coil". With the a/c switched to on, if both the outside fans are running, the inside blower is running, but the compressor clutch is not turning then most likely you've got a failing coil. Why not look at the air mix motor while you're adjusting the temperature. Check if the motor moves in correlation with the temperature being changed from hot to cold.
Good idea. I'll check that when I get a chance. The girlfriend just left with the car for a few days. So I won't be able to tinker with it until this weekend. Guess that means I'm free to get back to working on my other accord until then. =D
Old 09-28-2011, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i suspect a failing clutch/coil on your compressor aswell. more common then an airmix issue with this model of accord.
tap into the trigger wire going to the coil on the compressor. connect a test light and when it acts up if the light is on but comp is off, then you def have a comp coil issue
Old 09-28-2011, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's some info. to give some idea about the field coil (stator set) they are referring to.

http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=772614
Attached Images  
Old 10-04-2011, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AK94GSR
i suspect a failing clutch/coil on your compressor aswell. more common then an airmix issue with this model of accord.
tap into the trigger wire going to the coil on the compressor. connect a test light and when it acts up if the light is on but comp is off, then you def have a comp coil issue
Thanks, I'm thinking that may not be the main issue, although it's entirely possible that it's happening at the same time.

Here's my thinking, when it was cold in the morning at about 50 degrees outside, I should've been able to set the car on fresh air (with the AC off) and pulled in cool air. Instead all we could get is very hot air. This by passes the necessity of the AC unit operating correctly and still replicates the issue. So there is definitely something else going on, which is what makes me think it more in line with either a problem with the air-mix door or the temp control switch.

I am completely open to being wrong though. So if someone see's a flaw in my logic, please feel free to point it out.

I didn't get a chance to look this past weekend, and the next two weekends we'll be in Chicago for a marathon and then a wedding. So hopefully I'll get some time in between or it'll be a couple weeks till I can look at it.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by redbull-1
Here's some info. to give some idea about the field coil (stator set) they are referring to.
Thanks Redbull! You're excellent at providing diagrams!