Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Wont Start Wont Turn Over And Main Reply Clicks

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wont Start Wont Turn Over And Main Reply Clicks

Hi Folks

I have a 1988 Honda Accord an the car will not start or turn over. When I try and start it the warning lights come on and all then I turn the key the main relay starts to click. I just replaced the relay and also the battery. Still the same now I can hear the fuel pump start and there is a click under the hood then nothing and relay clicks loud

Please help I work nights and need my car back and running about to be evicted If miss anymore work

PLEASE HELP
XOXOOX
Chantal
Old 10-18-2004, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Wont Start Wont Turn Over And Main Reply Clicks (Sexy_Chantal)

When you say it won't turn over, I take it you mean the starter doesn't spin the engine? The main relay doesn't control the starter...

Check all the big battery cables, both ends, including the engine-body ground. Then try hitting the starter with something while trying to start. If that works, you need a new starter.
Old 10-18-2004, 01:34 PM

Default Re: Wont Start Wont Turn Over And Main Reply Clicks (Sexy_Chantal)

If the relay clicks but the starter wont do anything then it seems more like the Silonoid is stuck. So seems to me that you need to replace the starter. If all the other acces. are working (pump, relay, ingnit., dome lights, head lights) then its more then likely you have a frozen starter that needs to be replaced.

A temp fix would be to have someone tap it and see if it will unstick. Chances are you will maybe get one or two starts out of it then it will be gone again.

The parts that go bad when this happens are the bendex, the brush heads and the bearings. Nomally they show some kind of problem before hand but there are a few that just BAM and stop working.

Good Luck
Old 10-18-2004, 05:57 PM

Thank you all so much I will try these things tomorrow

Again
Thanks
Old 10-18-2004, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there should be a fuse that is for the starter signal

or do this, check and see if power is getting to the starter with a test light, if its not getting to the starter, the ignitiion switch is bad, if power is getting to the starter, the starter might be stuck or going bad
Old 10-18-2004, 07:40 PM

!!!UPDATE!!!

Was out having a smoke decided to try it and now there is no power at all.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:44 PM
that's no moon

Default Re: (Sexy_Chantal)

I didn't read the other posts but...
check the battery. Is it holding a charge?
Check the alternator
check the starter.
basic things.
are your battery terminals corroded?
just read again, most likely the starter.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

check the ignition switch
Old 10-19-2004, 03:41 PM

if the battery is dead then try jumpstart. If it cranks then you have a power drain. First for that check by pulling your glove box light. That is one of the most common issues of a power drain.

Then if that is it then you are good to go.

If not with jumpstart, does the same thing then you should check your starting system to find which part is bad.

good luck
Old 10-20-2004, 01:18 PM

Hi All

I ahev changed the starter and now the power is back normal and the feul pump goes on but it still wont turn over now the starter clicks and also the relay has stopped clicking. The starter was used from another Honda Accord but this one was a 2dr Standard mine is a 4dr auto. My brother who put it on says the moudings wernt exact It did spin but didnt catch.

Could it be the starter.

Thanks
Chantal
XOXOXOX
Old 10-20-2004, 01:39 PM

I have a 98 accord ex 4cyl and am also experiencing some of the similar problems.
I thought my battery had gone out and replaced it. However, the next morning it would start and i tried jumping it. Didn't start until about 5 tries later. Each time, the relay would click but no starter.
Took the starter out.. tested to see if the solenoid was bad.... tested ok.. got me a little worried then.
I took it to autozone where they tested it for me. Turns out that it works but the stator in the stater would rotate but very very slowly. So I went ahead and ordered one.
How comes the wierd part. The part arrived today but it didn't match! I was surprise because it said that it was the right part number and all for my car. The sales dude did a search and found that the starter I wanted was actually for a 97 model. Pictures seems to match.
Thing is, it stated that it is meant for a 97 2.2 4 cyl motor A/T and mine is a 98 2.3 4 cyl motor A/T.
Am I missing something here or is something really wrong???
Old 10-20-2004, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sexy_Chantal &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">... but it still wont turn over now the starter clicks...
... It did spin but didnt catch...</TD></TR></TABLE>Are you saying the starter motor spins but it doesn't engage the flywheel? So it doesn't really spin the engine? In that case the starter you got doesn't fit properly.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:49 PM

I'm new here, but am also having similar problems. Last summer my 98 honda accord ex would start but then die immediately, I changed the fuel pump relay and have had no problems with it since. Until today. Now it turns over and won't catch. I have checked all the things you guys have suggested, could it be the relay again? It has about 75,000 miles on it.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (annieb)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by annieb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">... could it be the relay again? It has about 75,000 miles on it.</TD></TR></TABLE>Honda calls it the main relay because it also powers the ECU & injectors, along with the fuel pump.

Turn the key "ON", don't spin it directly to "START". Listen for the fuel pump to run for 2 seconds & quit. Also watch for the check-engine light on the cluster. If those things are OK, the quick answer is that your main relay is probably OK.

Then maybe the next thing is to check for spark...
Old 10-28-2004, 04:18 PM
that's no moon

Default Re: (JimBlake)

Sounds like the timing to me. I was having the same sort of problem with my 95 VW cabby and it was the timing. Also possible: catalytic converter.