Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Windshield Cracked - okay to use scotch tape to seal it after crack has been drilled?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Cracked - okay to use scotch tape to seal it after crack has been drilled?

My windshield cracked a few months ago and since I've had the crack drilled and filled at the point (to cease it from spreading) but it has still continued past the drilled part a few times.

They recommended covering the crack with scotch tape to keep air and water out of it. Is this wise, or would this be bad for anything? I have a 2004 Accord EX-L, if it makes a difference.

I appreciate your input.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Windshield Cracked - okay to use scotch tape to seal it after crack has been drilled? (nukem2k5)

Never heard of drilling the crack to prevent it from spreading. I've always seen them suck epoxy through the crack with a suction cup. Sounds like you should make whoever "fixed" your crack fix it again.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Windshield Cracked - okay to use scotch tape to seal it after crack has been drilled? (Accidentp

They drill a dot in the tip of it and fill it in with epoxy to stop it from spreading. The crack is a good 10" long, and can't be fully repaired. I've been told they can't do anything but try and stop it from spreading. The suction cup thing only works on circular chips and such, I think.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:54 PM

Default Re: Windshield Cracked - okay to use scotch tape to seal it after crack has been drilled? (Accidentp

10" long crack? just get a new window.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:06 PM

Default Re: Windshield Cracked - okay to use scotch tape to seal it after crack has been drilled? (nukem2k5)

yea, i would just replace it....i got pulled over for a cracked windshied....
Old 03-09-2005, 11:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just get it replaced, it only take another flying rock to get the whole thing scatter.

Old 03-09-2005, 11:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would strongly recomend you getting it repaired..
Old 03-10-2005, 04:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Windshield Cracked - okay to use scotch tape to seal it after crack has been drilled? (asianpoet

"I would strongly recomend you getting it repaired.."

I have gotten it repaired. The only thing they can do is stop it from spreading at the tip of the crack.

Maybe 10" wasn't so accurate. Anyway my question is: is there anything wrong with putting a little scotch tape on my windshield? Would the adhesive be bad for the glass if it's in the sun a lot? Would it be hard to get off (I could always use acetone to take it all off, I'm sure). I'm not sure if there's any kind of special coating **** on the outside of the windshield that I could be damaging, so I appreciate anyone's input.
Old 03-10-2005, 04:56 AM

Default Re: Windshield Cracked - okay to use scotch tape to seal it after crack has been drilled? (asianpoet

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nukem2k5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Anyway my question is: is there anything wrong with putting a little scotch tape on my windshield? Would the adhesive be bad for the glass if it's in the sun a lot? Would it be hard to get off (I could always use acetone to take it all off, I'm sure). I'm not sure if there's any kind of special coating **** on the outside of the windshield that I could be damaging, so I appreciate anyone's input.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I don't think you need to worry about it coming off, your window is already trashed, haha.

but to answer your question, goo gone or something like it will remove the tape with no problem.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you've got a 10" crack in your windshield and you're worried about a little scotch tape residue!? thats just classic.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Generally speaking, once a crack has developed, even a small one, you're screwed. Scotch tape isn't going to do anything. Vibrations, the heating and cooling of the glass from sunlight, etc. are what cause the crack to continue growing.

In most states, if not all, if the crack crosses in front of the driver's view you can pulled over and ticketed, but most importantly, you won't pass inspection. IMO, just replace the glass... Here in Houston it only cost me about $125.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:42 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Windshield Cracked - okay to use scotch tape to seal it after crack has been dril

Originally Posted by philadd
Generally speaking, once a crack has developed, even a small one, you're screwed. Scotch tape isn't going to do anything. Vibrations, the heating and cooling of the glass from sunlight, etc. are what cause the crack to continue growing.

In most states, if not all, if the crack crosses in front of the driver's view you can pulled over and ticketed, but most importantly, you won't pass inspection. IMO, just replace the glass... Here in Houston it only cost me about $125.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:44 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Windshield Cracked - okay to use scotch tape to seal it after crack has been dril

Can you refer me the name of the place which repaired your screen for 125. I just cracked my screen too

Originally Posted by philadd

Old 07-05-2016, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Depending on your insurance coverage it may be covered under insurance. Otherwise it's usually in the $200-300 range around here to get it replaced.

We use stop-drilling in the aerospace industry to keep cracks from spreading temporarily although I've never heard of using it in glass. I suppose it would work the same way. Basically, the tip of a crack is really sharp and creates a stress point, which propagates the crack. Think of what happens when you open a bag of chips and tear it at the little notch in the bag - it opens right up. Drilling a hole at the crack tip reduces the stress riser.