Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Who thinks I should replace A/C receiver-drier during this procedure?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who thinks I should replace A/C receiver-drier during this procedure?

Hi....thank you for any advice before I start doing this.....

I've been mucking around with topping off A/C system in my 1996 Accord, 2.2L, with the ND compressor, and as of now, I'm positive that I have way too much PAG-46 oil in the system, although the low/high-side pressures are reading fine: it's just not cooling well at all, probably due to the compressor being sluggish from the excess oil in there, and maybe from some ambient air that got into the system when I replaced a leaking valve stem core. System doesn't leak after core replacement in the low-side port, which was only exposed for about 2 minutes.

Procedure Plan:

1. Evacuate system
2. Remove compressor, drain/measure oil, replace correct amount PAG-46 oil
3. Replace compressor with new, lubed o-rings
4. Replace receiver-drier, with correct amount of oil added
5. Pull vacuum on system as previously studied, using pump and gauges on loan from Autozone (including all natural steps of this specific procedure, such as initial pull-down test, and then much longer leak test for several hours)
6. Purge fill line with r134a, then fill system with one can r134a
7. Check gauge pressures
8. Fill remaining r134a to proper level (21-23oz. per label on compressor + Helms)
9. Check HIGH/LOW-side pressures for 10-15 mins @ 1500 RPM's engine speed, including vent temps.
10. All should be OK.

I didn't list ALL steps of what I'm doing, but I would welcome any corrections, advice, or wisdom here ........ I sure wouldn't want to have to do this again!!!

Thank you much.

(Do I really have to replace the receiver-drier, even though only "exposed" to outside air for 2 mins? If it's the original, 15 yr-old OEM receiver-drier, should I just replace it anyway, and will that replacement make a noticeable, performance improvement?
Old 06-21-2011, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Who thinks I should replace A/C receiver-drier during this procedure?

I have been told to replace the drier anytime the system is evacuated, this was from an AC tech. Not sure how much they are for a Honda, but for my Land Cruiser it was around $40. Pretty much the most inexpensive part in an AC system, other than the belt. Not sure if it will help, but if it is original it can't hurt.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Who thinks I should replace A/C receiver-drier during this procedure?

Thank you, Stagerguy. I guess question was a no-brainer, but I'm still not sure how hard replacing receiver-drier is (location). But you're right about the low cost, which I assumed was higher: only $22 @ Autozone. Well worth the money, and I'll bet the time, when I find out.

This is one of those moments when your gut tells you, "Just do it. If you don't, you're gonna regret it one day....trust me."

I think I'll give in, and listen to you-n-my-gut. Thanks for the push!
Old 06-21-2011, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There's even a Metrix brand receiver/drier for this application online for $12.50
Go figure.....I'll stick with local-n-quick though. Had no idea they were SO inexpensive, only because I thought they reamed you for ANYTHING A/C.

Yep. I'm off to the races! Wish me luck, and I'll post back afta.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yup, I was surprised by the price as well, much cheaper for a Honda, but there are a lot more of 'em on the road. Good luck! Hopefully you'll post great results.