Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

What's the best DIY way to flush out power steering

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the best DIY way to flush out power steering

It's time to change out power steering fluid in my son's 2001 Accord. I have purchased 4 pints of the proper Honda power steering fluid and would like to be able to empty the reservoir, power steering lines, and rack as much as possible to flush out the old power steering fluid. I am trying to avoid flushing the system by draining the reservoir several times to try to get most of it due to the cost of this power steering fluid (don't mind doing that on my Toyotas and Nissan which just use Dexron III at $5/ quart or less). Also saw some guy on YouTube who pretty much disconnects the low pressure line , started the car and let the power pump pump it dry (sounds like this would damage the pump). What's the best method to get a good part of the power steering fluid out without any expensive equipment (I've heard turkey baster, but does that get anything out of the rack?)
Old 06-13-2013, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 64 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Re: What's the best DIY way to flush out power steering

What I used to do with my volvo was unplug the low pressure line and hook it up to some clear tubing and get a friend to start it up, let it drain but don't let the reservoir run dry. Take off the car as soon as i see the level getting low, top up and go again... Maybe about 3 or 4 cycles should have you nice and fresh
Old 06-13-2013, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The Honda manual for my '97 says to use the method above.

For my Ford, the factory manual recommends putting the front end in the air, pulling the fuel pump fuse (or you can pull the connector on the inertia cutoff switch - the idea is to not put fuel in the engine), disconnect the PS pump return line and run it to a suitable container, crank the engine and turn the wheel lock-to-lock. If you do this, make sure the pump doesn't run dry, which can happen pretty quickly. The Ford PS system seems to have a lot of internal leakage. My Honda is not so bad, but you still have to pay attention.

For my Toyota, the procedure is similar, except you don't even turn the engine over. Just get the front end in the air, disconnect the return line and run it to a container and then turn the wheel lock-to-lock while making sure the reservoir is full. Keep turning until the fluid comes out clear.

It'll be much easier if you have someone help you. One person turns the wheel while the other fills the reservoir as the fluid is pumped out.

I've used the second method on all my Fords and used it once on my Honda, but recently learned about the third method when I got my 2007 Toyota. The third (Toyota) method is by far easier, quicker, cleaner, is not hard on the starter and there's less risk of getting air in the system since the fluid leaves at a rate proportional to how fast you turn the steering wheel. One way to make the Ford method easier on the starter is to pull the plugs, but on my Ranger and Aerostar, it ain't exactly easy.

I will be using the Toyota method from now on. I'm not sure if there's something in the Honda pump design that precludes the use of the Toyota method, but I would give it a try because it's so easy.

There you go. Three methods to choose from. Have fun. No matter which method you use, if you get air in the system, just hook up the return line, fill up the reservoir and turn the wheel lock-to-lock several or more times to push air back to the reservoir.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 64 Likes on 62 Posts

Great post... I may tackle the toyota method sometime soon... Probably on my Honda Legend (Acura RL in the US)...

Thanks
Old 06-13-2013, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Put the front on jack stands and have someone turn the wheel while I vacuum it out. Makes it simple, clean and no mess especially with a shop vac.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by basket_case
For my Toyota, the procedure is similar, except you don't even turn the engine over. Just get the front end in the air, disconnect the return line and run it to a container and then turn the wheel lock-to-lock while making sure the reservoir is full. Keep turning until the fluid comes out clear.

It'll be much easier if you have someone help you. One person turns the wheel while the other fills the reservoir as the fluid is pumped out.

No matter which method you use, if you get air in the system, just hook up the return line, fill up the reservoir and turn the wheel lock-to-lock several or more times to push air back to the reservoir.
Thank You guys so much for posting this method as an option as I have used "starting your engine" method before and it always seem to introduce the possibility of running the reservoir dry though i never managed that.

I used this Toyota method on my 96 Civic and it worked like a charm, just took out the original (Black in color) fluid that is about 18 to 19 years old. New Amber fluid is in there now.

I have personally always used Honda/Acura compatible power steering fluids with no issue at all. I used three 12oz bottles of Prestone Honda/Acura power steering fluid from walmart at 2.58 each. I am sure two 12 oz bottle would have been sufficient as a I spilled some fluid during the process.

The walmart price was the cheapest honda compatible price I found even Advance Auto Parts with their 40% online discount and 5% back on Shop Discover couldn't match the 2.58 at walmart.