Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

what is this part called?

Old 03-18-2009, 02:29 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default what is this part called?

'91 accord ex f22a4

I noticed that a bar running along my front right suspension that's attached to the knuckle is loose at the bushings that attach to the knuckle, but I can't figure out what the hell it is. When I grab at the bushings I can wiggle it back and forth so it's obvious there is too much play there. I found a good pic in the faq brake removal thread it's here....

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...u/DSC06934.jpg

It's in the top right just above the rotor in the pic with a crown nut and cotter pin. What is that long bar that's attaching to that? Are the bushings there replaceable? Is that the tie-rod? Would I be simply replacing the tie-rod end?

Also, when I push my clutch lately I noticed that it's making a squealing sound. I can hear it coming from undearneath my car from inside my car when I'm parked near a wall with the window down. Does that mean anything bad?
Old 03-18-2009, 03:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: what is this part called?

Yes, from the sounds of what you're talking about you're correct it's the tie-rod end. Yeah you would be replacing the whole tie-rod. It twisting around the ball joint itself doesn't mean anything always. To check if it's worn, grab it from underneath and wiggle it foward and backward with pressure(towards the front and back of the car) if there's any play there then it needs replacing, along with an alignment. Your clutch problem sounds like it's the throwout bearing, I say deal with it until the clutch goes, it ain't hurting anything, just annoying.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:28 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Where that tie-rod attaches there at the knuckle, is that the ball joint or is that simply the tie-rod bushings? I'm referring to where the castle nut is located. When I turn it in a clockwise and counterclockwise manner at where the castlenut there is a lot of play. Keep in mind I'm referring to the front right side of my car, which is opposite of that pic.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 66 Posts

That is known as the outer tie rod. castle nut included. It is a ball in socket style joint, but it is not known as one of the ball joints per say.

The ball joints are located on the bottom and top of the knuckle.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:51 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by GhostAccord
That is known as the outer tie rod. castle nut included. It is a ball in socket style joint, but it is not known as one of the ball joints per say.

The ball joints are located on the bottom and top of the knuckle.
Ok. Should I buy the whole tie-rod, or just the end? Also, is there a particular tool I need to take that off at the end or is it gonna come ready to assemble if I buy the tie-rod or tie-rod end?

It's funny my Chilton doesn't use the word tie-rod at all so there's no installation and removal procedure. That's why I'm so in the dark on this.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
Where that tie-rod attaches there at the knuckle, is that the ball joint or is that simply the tie-rod bushings? I'm referring to where the castle nut is located. When I turn it in a clockwise and counterclockwise manner at where the castlenut there is a lot of play. Keep in mind I'm referring to the front right side of my car, which is opposite of that pic.
Like GhostAccord said the tie rod end is a ball joint type of connection, operates the same way the ball joints themselves do. Here's a cutaway view of a balljoint:

The tie rod end looks/works the same way, it just gets connected to the steering rack. Because of the nature of this, the tie rod end can move so to speak around the ball inside the socket and still be good. You need to check for side to side play, so speak to determine if it's bad.

Last edited by MustangPunk302; 03-18-2009 at 04:21 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:21 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I see. The funny thing is the left side tie-rod end has no play when I grab and turn clockwise and counterclockwise, that's why I figured that the right side must be bad since it has so much play. I haven't really checked it from side to side, but I will later today.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok. Should I buy the whole tie-rod, or just the end? Also, is there a particular tool I need to take that off at the end or is it gonna come ready to assemble if I buy the tie-rod or tie-rod end?

It's funny my Chilton doesn't use the word tie-rod at all so there's no installation and removal procedure. That's why I'm so in the dark on this.
I would get only the outter tie rod end, I doubt the inners are shot.

To take it off, loosen the jam nut that's on the inner tie rod, then take out the cotter pin(if any) and remove the castle nut, the bolt on the tie rod end probably won't pop right out, so beat on the steering knuckle around where the tie rod bolt goes. That should loosen it, you can always beat down on the bolt too if you are replacing it, don't ever do that if you are to re-use it though you'll muck up threads.

Once it pops loose, you'll unscrew it from the inner tie rod (since you already loosened the jam nut) and count the turns it takes as you loosen it. Then take off the old jam nut if a new one comes with it(I leave my old ones on), and then screw on the new tie rod end the amount of turns it took to get the old one off. Then tighten the jam nut up to where the outter tie rod is a little. Insert the tie rod end bolt back through the hole in the steering knuckle and tighten down the new castle nut, reinsert cotter pin. Then go back to the jam nut and tighten it. You'll now want to get the aligned at a shop, as it's never perfect until it's been aligned.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I see. The funny thing is the left side tie-rod end has no play when I grab and turn clockwise and counterclockwise, that's why I figured that the right side must be bad since it has so much play. I haven't really checked it from side to side, but I will later today.
Side to side, front to back whichever way you want to call it It's hard to explain hands on stuff on a forum :/ Hope I helped a little..
Old 03-18-2009, 04:35 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Cool, thanks, you def did. I'm sure it's too much play now, especially since I remember it was kinda leaking grease. I'll be banging this out when I do my lower tube seals, timing and balancer belt and water pump, distributor seal and o-ring, and front brake rotors next wednesday, assuming i can get it all done in one day. This was the part that I wasn't sure what the hell to order was.

thanks again
Old 03-18-2009, 04:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Cool, thanks, you def did. I'm sure it's too much play now, especially since I remember it was kinda leaking grease. I'll be banging this out when I do my lower tube seals, timing and balancer belt and water pump, distributor seal and o-ring, and front brake rotors next wednesday, assuming i can get it all done in one day. This was the part that I wasn't sure what the hell to order was.

thanks again
Yeah, no problem. You can find videos on youtube about checking tie-rods and ball joints and such, which doesn't really have to be manufacterur or model specific, though just like anything on the internet the info may not always be correct. Good luck sounds like you have a fun day in store for you, haha