Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

lower damper bushing

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lower damper bushing

I own a 97 Accord (manual, 4cyl. 2.2l, 4 doors)
I wanted to change my suspension (KYB AGX + Eibach ProKit) with a friend, but we ran into a problem on the first nut.

As we expected the rear suspension to be a little harder considering the bolt inserted in the damper lower bushing we decided to try the rear before the front. The bolt was completely stuck. We used a blow torch and there was nothing moving. We finally succeeded in moving the bolt but it ended up to be the bolt and the sleeve turning and the bushing started to crack.

So my questions are:
1- what kind of press/remover will I need to remove and insert a new damper lower bushing?

2- Since the bushing is already cracked, we are gonna tear apart everything so if I only need to insert the new bushing, would this tool do the job:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAP...&rd=1

3- Are there any options if I want to buy polyurethane bushings for the rear suspension and Energy Suspension are out of stock and don't know if they will ever have those again?

any help highly appreciated

Modified by SummerTaz at 3:14 AM 11/30/2006
Old 11-30-2006, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lower damper bushing (SummerTaz)

Think I might be able to help- (if the 1997 is roughly the same as my 1994)

At the REAR, are you talking about the bolt at the bottom of the strut assembly that mounts the bottom of the strut over the fitting in the knuckle? And the knuckle fitting has a pressed in bushing?

If so- ES didn't have a set for the rear of my car at all, I went with OEM bushings. For the knuckle fitting I just described, I went with OEM Honda bushings.

If this is the same fitting (bushing fitting), I would recommend you drop the knuckles, take them into a machine-shop and have them pressed in.

Due to the odd shape of the knuckles, all the machine-shops around here wouldn't touch the job- it took a 20 ton press, and w/o the proper setup fittings you can bend the knuckle on the press. (They did all the other work, but were honest and told me they didn't want to take the chance of bending the knuckles $$$$$).

So I took the knuckles to a local Honda dealer shop (I know a guy there) and had the knuckle fittings pressed in/out for $85.

There may be aftermarket makers of this bushing- if not, check Honda, I am sure they make them.

As for "breaking" the bolt loose, I sprayed a ton of "blaster" into the bolt-journal over a 2-3 hour period (this is the main trick- let TIME work for you), put the right socket onto my 40" breaker bar, and broke it loose. (Broke every large bolt on the entire suspension loose the same way- no problems. An advantage of being older- I am much more patient than I used to be!)

Hope this helps- it should if this is the fitting you were talking about- Wrenchy

Old 12-06-2006, 04:03 PM

Default Re: lower damper bushing (wrenchy)

Yeah, you're right on the spot. This is exactly the bushing I was talking about. Fortunately now there is a special press that you can use to insert the bushing without taking the knuckle off. About the oil penetrating blast, everyone I asked are saying exactly like you. Patience is my middle name so there won't be any problem with that.

thanks for the help