Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Weird noise....anyone got the same problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird noise....anyone got the same problem?

I'm gonna try to be as descriptive as possible to explain my problem. Basically, everytime I take off in 1st, let off the clutch and turn right I hear a scratching, grinding noise coming from my left front wheel. Noise comes only in 1st gear and only at the time when I turn right. Its not my wheel bearings because once I am in 2nd, and do the same turn right, noise isnt there. Whats weird is that when my AC is on, the same noise gets louder. Again, in 1st only and while turning right. I found an empty parking lot and got my GF to drive in a circle around me going right and had her push on and off the AC button and the noise was getting louder each time the ac was on. I couldnt pin point the noise but it was defenetly coming from the drivers side. Could it be powersteering along with the AC putting a load on the belts?? Since the noise is coming only when the wheel is turned all the way to the right..... no noise at all when turned to the left tho. I have no clue where to start looking for probs. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:57 PM

Default Re: Weird noise....anyone got the same problem? (ZexyAccord)

never heard of that problem....
can't help you out there
Old 03-03-2005, 06:49 PM

Default Re: Weird noise....anyone got the same problem? (RyanD03)

Sounds like multiple problems at the same time! Maybe your A/C compressor and belts?!?! I know CV joints are pretty common to go out on Accords, but this problem sounds kinda strange. I would try the belts first; that would be the least expensive part to replace.

Good luck...
Old 03-03-2005, 09:55 PM

its just me but i would say its your power steering.....if you turn it all the way it will make sounds....and theres nothing wrong with that....
Old 03-04-2005, 06:05 AM

Does it sound almost like a grinding? do you have a motor swap? If it does, take a look at your front left support... thats what happened with mine.. it was the pulley cutting into the support, but it was only when I made a right turn cuz the motor shifted... all you had to do is unbolt it and flip it upside down.. you'll see what i'm talking about.. hope thats all it is!
Old 03-04-2005, 07:01 AM

Default Re: Weird noise....anyone got the same problem? (NonVtecSOHC97)

I didnt have a motor swap, but I did have an auto to manual conversion. And yes it does sound like something is spinning against something. Like metal disks against each other. Whats messed up is that I took it to a local shop and the noise went away. They drove it for 10 mins doing right starts in 1st and i swear its like the car knows... and she got quite. LOL As soon as I left the shop bam.... came back.
Old 03-04-2005, 08:17 AM

Maybe your air compressor is going out. The added draw from the power steering and the higher RPM in first is making the strange noise. Check and see if your air compressor has oil in it.

This is a new one on me and I'm trying to think of what it could be.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:16 AM

Default Re: Weird noise....anyone got the same problem? (Obsidian)

Air compressor? I dont mean to sound stupid but where is that on my car and what does it do?
Old 03-04-2005, 09:42 AM

Air Compressor = A/C.

That A/C marking on your air conditioner unit is commonly mistaken for Air Conditioner. It actually stands for Air Compressor and that button turns it on.

I don't think I need to tell you what it does... It comes on for the heater/defroster as well. It's main role is to dry to air when it blows out. That is why some people complain about having dry eyes when the A/C is blowing right at their face. It's air with 0% humidity.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:08 PM

take your left wheel off, there will be a shield plate on the inner part of your rotor, and bend it outward so nothing is rubbing.
Old 03-05-2005, 04:17 AM

Default Re: Weird noise....anyone got the same problem? (Obsidian)

Did the noise stop before or after you took it to the shop? because mine went away after i left the shop because my suspension was lifted, and didnt sit back to normal until i drove it for awhile.. just crawl under and take a look.. it just sounds alot of like what happened with mine.. even though you don't have a swap, i'd still just crawl around and check it out....