Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Valve clearance quandry

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve clearance quandry

I have a 2000 Honda Accord SE with a SOHC 2.3L 4-cyl VTEC engine (F23A1). With the hood up it is pretty loud. I adjusted the valves but came away not really comfortable with a lot of what and why I did things. First, I understand how VTEC works. What I am struggling with is understanding the importance of valve clearance and why too tight is much worse than too loose (or is it?). My engine is an interference engine. In my engine the valve clearance is adjusted just above the valve stem. I think I have heard from Ericthecarguy or somebody on YouTube that too loose means that the valve would stay open too long and the piston might or would hit it, but since the spring is what pulls the valve up, into place, and adjusting the gap doesn't change the spring distance, that doesn't seem like it could really happen. So, other than increasing valve clatter, as excess gap will cause as the rocker arm speeds up through an almost microscopic gap before it hits the top of the valve stem, is there really any danger to the gap being somewhat too large/loose? I think I can see what goes wrong if it is too tight. Under operation, as everything heats up, the valve stem expands upwards and puts force on the rocker arm from underneath. I think that forces the rocker arm against the camshaft too much and scores the camshaft. Or it drags too much on the camshaft and overheats. So too tight should be much worse than too loose. Am I right? I wonder why no one has figured out a more efficient effective way to adjust the clearance - adjusting is such a touchy-feely pain in the xss. Or is there? Is there any reasonable rule of thumb for setting the valve clearance given that the feeler gauges come in discreet sizes? Like pick the one that is nearest the center of the spec for clearance and then tighten until the feeler gauge won't move without significant force, and then loosen by 1/8 of a turn or some set amount? Can a reasonable judgement be made from just listening to the engine whether the net effect of adjusting the valves made them effectively too loose or too tight or just right? IMHO adjusting valve clearance would make for a great YouTube video if any practical rules of thumb can be devised other than tighten until the feeler gauge just barely drags. I would do it, but of course, I'm still in somewhat of a quandry. Any expert help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:54 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Valve clearance quandry

If the ticking is really loud it's possible you have an exhaust leak. You could seafoam it to be sure. There are howto's on youtube. Just be careful and do it right, only pouring in a small amount at a time.