See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

turbo for a97 accord automatic 2.2 lx

Old 11-07-2011, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo for a97 accord automatic 2.2 lx

i need your help... i want to drop a turbo in my car... i need to know what would be the best setup? who should i get it from? how much boost can my car support? i dont want to blow my car but i want power it is my dailey driver but i still wana kick some a**... need to get the biggest bang for my buck also what is all required to get this done i look at a few turbo kits and i thought it came with everything required for the installation but if i am wrong please feel free to correct me... thanks
Old 11-07-2011, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: turbo for a97 accord automatic 2.2 lx

Biggest hurddle you have to overcome is tuning. The only thing that works with obd2 cars is a piggy back, which to my understanding, will give you sub par performance. The next issue is the transmission, its fairly week and wont stand up to much abuse. You need to do some searching, as much as I hate to say that, but I have been lurking on these forums for years and there is a ton of info about turbos, parts lists, etc... If you have something specific let me know.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Kevs02Accord
Biggest hurddle you have to overcome is tuning. The only thing that works with obd2 cars is a piggy back, which to my understanding, will give you sub par performance. The next issue is the transmission, its fairly week and wont stand up to much abuse. You need to do some searching, as much as I hate to say that, but I have been lurking on these forums for years and there is a ton of info about turbos, parts lists, etc... If you have something specific let me know.
TSI TURBO KIT 97-2002 ACCORD COST 2700.00 FROM TURBOKITS.COM STATES ONLI 6PSI BOOST BUT SHOWS THAT IT WILL INCREASE MH HP BY 56%,,, FOUND A TURBO KIT ON EBAY STAGE 3 HIGH PERFORMANCE UPGRADE GT45 TURBO CHARGER KIT # GT45 Turbo Charger: Capable of Boosting Horse Power Up To 600+ BHP FOR ONLY $979.99... TELL ME WHAT YALL THINK AND ALSO ANY SUGGESTIONS ON A TURBO... IS THERE A BETTER ONE THAT IS RECOMMENDED FOR MY RIDE WANA KEEP IT AS MY DAILY DRIVE BUT ALSO WANA KICK SOME *** ON THE STREETS WHEN NECESSARY BUT DONT WANA BLOW MY ENGINE... another thing is i have concidered doing the manual tranmission swap but im thinking for the cost of that... what else can i spend that $$ on as far as helping get the car boosted properly cuz this is my dailey driver
Old 11-07-2011, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this is another site i was recommended to use... met this guy who had my same care same engine his was manual mine is automatic however he said he is using this kit with 12psi boost... http://www.treadstoneperformance.com...and+F22B%2FH23
Old 02-12-2012, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you figure out how to tune the car? The old saying goes; cheap, fast, reliable, pick 2. The only way to have all three is to have a lot of know how and then you could do all the work yourself. My understanding is the stock block / transmission could probably handle 300 / 200 hp respectively. The amount of boost isnt as important as the type of turbo. Check out this site, http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/, there is a ton of information, there is even a turbo calculator.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Kevs02Accord
I HAVE BEEN TOLD MY BEST BEST IS TO STAY AWAY FROM TURBO AND THE EASIEST SWAPP WOULD B THE BLUE TOP H22 OUT OF A PRELUDE SO MY CONCERN IS MY F22 IS 130 HP N THE H22 IS 190HP SAND IT WILL COST ME LIKE 2000 TO GUY ENGINE AND GET IT INSTALLED... IN UR HONEST OPION DOES THAT SEEM COST EFFECTIVE TO U TO SPEND 2K TO INCREASE 60 HP, THAT IS WHY I SAY I FEEL LOST IM THINKING WHY DONT I TK THAT 2K AND INVEST IT IN MY SOHC SPENT ABOUT 7K SO FAR ON THE CAR SINCE IVE HAD IT RIME TIRE COILOVER ALARM TV N STEROE SYSTEM AND PAITED IT NOW I NEED A UPGRADE IN THE ENGINE BAY
Old 04-10-2012, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What all does that include? Just the engine and install? Is it the whole power train, engine, transmission, all the work to get it in there? Would you be going manual or auto transmission?
Old 04-11-2012, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

1. Sell your car and get a manual and swap motor. Or 2. Do the h22 motor and tranny swap. Keep in mind, if you choose the 2nd option, many suggest to get the prelude axles when using h22 since the axles are more thicker over accord axles. Since your budget is somewhat limited, I would just get a manual car and then turbo it. IMO it saves the headache of any issues with auto to manual swap.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:42 AM
bianchadsuchon

be different be a innovator DOOOO IT!!!!!!!!!! s300 hondata works i have it in my accord and its auto works good got it tuned at DNR in cali
Old 04-12-2012, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bianchadsuchon
be different be a innovator DOOOO IT!!!!!!!!!! s300 hondata works i have it in my accord and its auto works good got it tuned at DNR in cali
How did you get the s300 to work with an automatic transmission?
Old 04-12-2012, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes you can be innovative. at the same time, consider the possible scenarios that could go wrong. problems=headaches=time loss and money.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 75aces
1. Sell your car and get a manual and swap motor. Or 2. Do the h22 motor and tranny swap. Keep in mind, if you choose the 2nd option, many suggest to get the prelude axles when using h22 since the axles are more thicker over accord axles. Since your budget is somewhat limited, I would just get a manual car and then turbo it. IMO it saves the headache of any issues with auto to manual swap.
i must admit automatic sucks to me ive never owned an automatic all my cars hv been manual, long sorty short this was ma girls car she get pregnant and i got ride omy ride got her a nwe one n this is what i am stuck with i hv spent 7k on it on a/c tranny engine repairs + rims tires suspension stereo system tv paint job ect.. so its gna b hard to let it go n if i did gt manual gna b lot of work to transfer everything over... so i figured work with what i hv 2k includes just the engine n install, i was advised i cn use same tranny n has sport motor mounts n my ac works n was told i cn use that with h22
Old 04-13-2012, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oh i forgot to mention my hp on my engine is 130 the h22 is i belive like 197 hp... is that cost effective to spend 2k on a 67 hp increase... i was also advised maybe just do a head swap from the h22 what r ur toughts on that ... and thanks to everyone i appreciate all of the advice
Old 04-13-2012, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Get a nissan that's already built for boost, not to mention it would be rwd. I used to be just like you, thinking of boosting my accord. But after you swap the tranny and spend money on a GOOD turbo kit (not a no name ebay one) and custom exhaust parts, cylinder head parts, tuning and install costs you could get a new car. The only way it would be cheap and actually worth it is if you have a good mechanic at a shop that gets parts at cost. That's just my 2 cents, to each their own.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks CD5B2
Old 04-15-2012, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I personally would just avoid FI only because there's more maintenance involved. Plus you would have to use premium fuel. Your better off getting a WRX or Evo. They run FI and AWD. 370Z is a nice choice too since it has a dual clutch program for heel toe action. If there was a supercharger available, I would grab one. Only because it's belt driven and not having to custom fab everything else. Good luck anyways.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CD5B2
Get a nissan that's already built for boost, not to mention it would be rwd. I used to be just like you, thinking of boosting my accord. But after you swap the tranny and spend money on a GOOD turbo kit (not a no name ebay one) and custom exhaust parts, cylinder head parts, tuning and install costs you could get a new car. The only way it would be cheap and actually worth it is if you have a good mechanic at a shop that gets parts at cost. That's just my 2 cents, to each their own.
Couldnt of said it better not worth the money and your value of your car wont increase in the end you lose money and reliability(leads to unhappy wife lol), Only reason im turbo charging my 01 auto accord is i have a spare tranny and a free custom (name brand piece together) with all charge pipes and downpipe bolt on it wasnt really free but did a headgasket for it and got to uninstall myself only thing i had to buy is fuel pump and wideband which i used patiences to pickup at a very very good price. Im going to be running a safc2 only want to run about 6psi just for that extra umph on the freeway not to be racing everything in sight. currently breaking in motor i just installed and doing mock ups with turbo setup so when im FULLY ready theres no suprises n less downtime. If you wont be doing your own work i wouldnt even bother and if you still decide to do it do your research if taking it to a performance shop its best to make a list and piece together a kit and just pay for install. If this is going to be a daily driver good luck n make sure u keep a toolbox in the trunk at all times lmao ooooooohhhhhhh n almost forgot to mention get roadside assist thru insurance with the free towing it will come in handy