Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Passenger axle turning while in Park

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 08:22 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger axle turning while in Park

I have a 1996 Honda Accord EX Station wagon with the 4 cylinder engine. While the passenger tire is in the air and the car in park, I can rotate the axle. The other tire is on the ground. The passenger axle is broke in the area close to the hub but i rotate the shaft close to the differential. I have read when both tires are in the air that they can move in opposite directions while in park but if one tire is on the ground neither should move. My question is, What could wrong with my car? I'm thinking something in the differential but I know very little when it comes to transmissions. I got the car stuck in some mud and was constantly shifting from drive to reverse trying to get it out. I don't think the other axle is broke but I guess that could be one possible reason. Any ideas?
Old 12-06-2016, 11:51 AM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Re: Passenger axle turning while in Park

If you broke one axle in the mud you may have damaged or broken the other one.
Verify that the other axle indeed does not rotate.
Pull out the known broken one to verify the input stub is not sheared off as well.
With an AT you can create very high application of torque if the wheels are stopped and the engine is revved, If the wheel slips/grips/slips this will create very high shock loads on the axle and can snap it.
It may be you sheared the other axle, or you may have stripped teeth on the input shaft or teeth off the differential gears or final drive gear.

Besides the broken axle, when the engine is on but in Park are there any noises from the transmission or bellhousing area?

If you placed the car in Park after revving the engine but did not verify the wheels were stopped, or the speedo was stopped, you may have shared off the parking pawl tooth.
This is the only thing that would normally prevent the wheel from rotating when the car is in Park and the other wheel is stopped.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:08 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe the parking pawl only holds one wheel in place. Try putting the other wheel in the air and see if the other wheel is locked.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:13 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

With one wheel on the ground and the transmission in Park the differential will not be able to rotate and the wheel cannot move.
Main 'ring' gear is attached to the differential housing, and the 'pinion' gear is part of the countershaft. Countershaft is locked at the opposite end via the parking pawl when in Park. Parking pawl mechanism is located under the right side cover. With the engine off(no hydraulics) placing the transmission in any gear besides Park, will allow the differential housing to rotate as it is no longer locked by the parking pawl.

If the parking pawl has broken then it will be as though the transmission is in Neutral and the wheel(s) will be able to rotate disproportionally to each other, as long as no axles or other components are damaged. Parking pawl merely locks the countershaft(pinion gear) which prevents the differential(ring gear) housing from rotating, but will still allow either wheel to rotate proportionally. This is also why it is best to use the parking brake when parking. Relying on the parking pawl can cause damaged to the transmission, wear/break engine mounts, and is also not fail free. Parking pawl is spring loaded and with enough force can be defeated.

With no obvious broken components, one wheel on the ground, transmission in Park, there should be no movement of the raised wheel outside of the normal clearance in the axles and differential. If there is movement, something is either out of adjustment(AT shift cable) or broken(axle, CV joint, differential spider/side gears, final drive gears, parking pawl, etc).