Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Transmission/drive axle? oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission/drive axle? oil leak

Hi everyone out there I am having a fairly bad tranny oil leak that was coming from the driveaxle seals so i thought ,so i replaced them and the problem remains. I can see the leak come from the driveaxle seal on the driver side and from the casing near the passenger side as i am under the car while lifted and in gear. Has anyone else had this same problem and what was the solution? I am stumped. I am a pretty good mechanic but i have no clue why the seals keep leaking?
Old 11-09-2008, 05:04 AM
In a Junkyard near you.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well it might be helpful to know what kind of car this is...
Old 11-10-2008, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Ross 2.0)

Sorry bout that. My car is a 2002 4 cyl auto Accord.I'll post some pics as soon as i am able.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:59 AM
In a Junkyard near you.

If you are 100% positive the seal is installed correctly. You probably need a new transmission. the differentials in those cars are known to start getting free play and won't allow the axles to seal.

Modified by Ross 2.0 at 2:22 PM 11/10/2008
Old 11-10-2008, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi Ross thank u for your response , do u think that its the tranny even though it runs and shifts smoothly and perfectly as if it was brand new? I noticed it was leaking about 2 weeks ago and prior to that day it never slipped while parked and putting it in reverse when the weather and car is cold. So then i put in delco 3 type as a temporary oil while i figured out the oil leak problem and it still slips in reverse while parked and only occasionally when it is cold and not ran yet during the day. But once in reverse gear ,driving it in reverse is no slipping problem. Driving forward once again is no problem in either gear and no neutral feel while going around a stop sign about 10 mph's like my last honda either, i think they call it faltering? My honda is an Ex model and runs like new even while getting on the highway while downshifting to speed up and to pass another car. This is why i would never suspect a tranny and i am in utter pain confusion and denial. Give me some better news and hope. I don't want to give up on Honda but it seems that they are prone to tranny problems. Anyone else out there that can help me out?Thanks.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:40 PM
In a Junkyard near you.

Default Re: (contreras777)

Originally Posted by contreras777
Hi Ross thank u for your response , do u think that its the tranny even though it runs and shifts smoothly and perfectly as if it was brand new? I noticed it was leaking about 2 weeks ago and prior to that day it never slipped while parked and putting it in reverse when the weather and car is cold. So then i put in delco 3 type as a temporary oil while i figured out the oil leak problem and it still slips in reverse while parked and only occasionally when it is cold and not ran yet during the day. But once in reverse gear ,driving it in reverse is no slipping problem. Driving forward once again is no problem in either gear and no neutral feel while going around a stop sign about 10 mph's like my last honda either, i think they call it faltering? My honda is an Ex model and runs like new even while getting on the highway while downshifting to speed up and to pass another car. This is why i would never suspect a tranny and i am in utter pain confusion and denial. Give me some better news and hope. I don't want to give up on Honda but it seems that they are prone to tranny problems. Anyone else out there that can help me out?Thanks.
Well take it for what it's worth. I've replaced at least 15 transmissions for the same problem. It has nothing to do with the clutch packs or gears themselves thus the reason you don't feel any slipping or other issues. The free play is solely in the differential. Worst case scenario with that will be stripping teeth off of the differential gear, bearing type noise or cracking the case I would imagine.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow,sounds like ur the man Ross. I do hear some type of sound coming from the tranny area when i am coming to a complete stop about 10 to 5mph's and 50 ft before. Sounds like when you drive a truck with knobby tires but only in the tranny side of the car in the engine compartment area. Is that the bearing going out in the differential? Is there a way to fix it or do you suggest rebuild or those 40-60k imported from japan trannys. I am trying not to pay someone 3g's for something i can do for less than 1. I have read other posts and i was afraid that the differential in the tranny was going to be the problem. Your opinion in any matter is much respected.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:13 PM
In a Junkyard near you.

I was trying to post this earlier but my computer is mad at me for some reason...
It says -2000 models but it still applies to your car
You can split the case yourself and replace the carrier bearings but that should be reserved for an advanced technician.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/moogocow3/3020829408/
Old 11-10-2008, 05:38 PM

Here is what your diff bearing looks like; and just guess where all those metal flakes have gone?

Old 11-10-2008, 08:20 PM
In a Junkyard near you.

Default Re: (hondadude)

Originally Posted by hondadude
Here is what your diff bearing looks like; and just guess where all those metal flakes have gone?

[im g ]http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/2677/99accdiffbrng2nn5.jpg[/img]
On the magnetic drain bolt. but yes some of it has probably made it's way through the transmission.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hondadude)

Originally Posted by Ross 2.0
On the magnetic drain bolt. but yes some of it has probably made it's way through the transmission.
Well thanks to everyone that helped . Unfortunately it was what you all said it was and i had to get the tranny replaced for 2k. I feel like calling Honda and have them reimburse me even thoughthe tranny has 173000 miles on it. But the tranny are known to be defective and so if they don't budge ,then i will only purchase Toyotas from now on or anything but Honda.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:03 AM
New User

Default Re: Transmission/drive axle? oil leak

hey i just put in a used tranny in my accord and i got tranny fluid pouring out of the two axles. I was wondering if i didnt force the axels in hard enough because their is still about 2 or 3 millimeters of space between the case and axle. Im gonna be pissed if i did all that work to realize i put in a bad tranny! well I do still have the good diff in the old tranny if i have to use it.