Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Tranny issue

Old 10-15-2011, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny issue

98 Accura LX 4 Door, 4 Cyl VTEC, Automatic, 250k miles.

With the exception of a hard shift into 1st the car runs fairly well thru all gears for the first mile or two.

After that, at any given speed it downshifts to 2nd and stays there. I can shift from D4 to D3 and it will shift to 3rd, but only momentarily, then it downshifts back to 2nd. After another mile or so it only cycles from 1st to 2nd. This started last week. There are no lights indicating there is a problem... no flashing D4.

I have already drained and filled it twice, I've checked as many electrical connections as I could find. I've pulled the seloniod assy's and cleaned the screens (2 were clogged).

I tried to open the TSP in the FAQ thinking that would be one more thing I could check but the link appears to be broken.

Is there anything I can check or clean to try and get a few more miles from this tranns?

Beyond that is there a list of transmissions that will fit without any major adjustments somewhere? Would a 98 Integra LS A/T fit?

Thanks
Old 10-15-2011, 11:06 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Tranny issue

I have a 98 honda accord lx and my transmission has been doing the samething. I have had people tell me to change the filter but i do not have a changeable transmission filter. I do not know what else to do and it is slipping really bad. Any suggestions would be greatly apperciated.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Unlike domestic transmissions, Honda does NOT incorporate a replaceable / serviceable filter in their transmissions. They DO (however) strategically locate filter screens withing the valve bodys with the intent of catching any debris from wear and such. This transmission utilizes a 'detente' or 'throttle position cable' which connects the throttle body assembly to the transmission. It's purpose is to impact shift timing as a function to throttle position.
Of course I'm going to suggest that you inspect this system to make sure nothing has come adrift.... I am also going to suggest (considering the age of the vehicle and the $$$ of any subsequent repairs that you have the system power flushed. ** Yes, I know Honda gets apoplectic when this is suggested, but I've yet to damage a trans from flushing **
My reasoning is this: This cable operates a lever which depresses a spool valve in the Transmission which (along with other variables) controls shift points - the harder you accelerate, the longer it takes to shift..... all well and good to this point, Right?? The problem centers around the fact that this "spool Valve" is NOT spring loaded and only returns to the relaxed position (foot off accelerator) by the line pressure within the Transmission. If this 'Spool Valve' binds and can't accurately follow the cables movement - you will get the symptoms you relate here.
This most often is caused by extended periods between transmission services, causing varnish to form in valve bores and passages; and changing out the fluid can be problematic* if the varnish buildup is worst than normal.

* and often ineffective
Old 10-15-2011, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you very much for the information. I guess my next course of action inspect what I can and then get it to a shop that can power flush it, as I assume I can't do that at home.

If the varnishing is excessive, can this be corrected?

Thanks again.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by P_Adams
Unlike domestic transmissions, Honda does NOT incorporate a replaceable / serviceable filter in their transmissions. They DO (however) strategically locate filter screens withing the valve bodys with the intent of catching any debris from wear and such. This transmission utilizes a 'detente' or 'throttle position cable' which connects the throttle body assembly to the transmission. It's purpose is to impact shift timing as a function to throttle position.
Of course I'm going to suggest that you inspect this system to make sure nothing has come adrift.... I am also going to suggest (considering the age of the vehicle and the $$$ of any subsequent repairs that you have the system power flushed. ** Yes, I know Honda gets apoplectic when this is suggested, but I've yet to damage a trans from flushing **
My reasoning is this: This cable operates a lever which depresses a spool valve in the Transmission which (along with other variables) controls shift points - the harder you accelerate, the longer it takes to shift..... all well and good to this point, Right?? The problem centers around the fact that this "spool Valve" is NOT spring loaded and only returns to the relaxed position (foot off accelerator) by the line pressure within the Transmission. If this 'Spool Valve' binds and can't accurately follow the cables movement - you will get the symptoms you relate here.
This most often is caused by extended periods between transmission services, causing varnish to form in valve bores and passages; and changing out the fluid can be problematic* if the varnish buildup is worst than normal.

* and often ineffective
What I did do is purchase a gallon of maxlife and a pint of SeaFoam Trans Tune.

I drained about 1 quart, the plug was clean (no sludge), I added 1/2 of the Trans Tune and started the engine. With the brake on I shifted through all the gears for about 5 minutes. I drove the car. I was able to go 15 miles before it started downshifting to second from D4. This was 13 miles more than before.

I drained the trans, this time to plug had about 1/16inch - 1/8inch of sludge on the plug. I refilled the trans and added 1/2 pint of the Trans Tune then drove the car.

I've gone about 40 miles and it is shifting and cruising in D4. The rpm's do jump between gears but so far it hasn't downshifted and gotten stuck in 2nd gear. I will see what today brings...
Old 10-17-2011, 06:19 PM
Trial User

By flushing the tranny will that stop it from shifting so hard. Cause i can step on the gas peddle and it feels like it wants to go but it jerks back on me really hard then it shifts into third gear it is missing second gear all together.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tinkerbell87
By flushing the tranny will that stop it from shifting so hard. Cause i can step on the gas peddle and it feels like it wants to go but it jerks back on me really hard then it shifts into third gear it is missing second gear all together.
It may. When I got this car, 900 bucks.. it had 240k on it and always slammed into 1st gear, slipped into second and then D3 and D4 were fine. I drained and refilled with Honda Z1 and things smoothed out. 3 weeks later I drained it and refilled it again. Because Z1 is so expensive I let it ride untill my wife called telling me the car wouldn't move. I drove it home, about 60 miles in 2nd gear.

It's driving again and shifting thru all gears, but for how long? Only time will tell.

I sounds to me like something is sticking or isn't opening inside your trans. I assume it has high mileage. Are you sure it's skipping 2nd? Could it be skipping 1st?

If I was you, I would drain and refill (if you can afford Honda DW1 then use it), add some kind of cleaning additive (I used SeaFoam Trans Tune), drive 10-15 miles and repeat two more times. The third time if it has improved drive it for a week? then drain and refill, with or without the additive. If it hasn't improved...

There are other things you could look at and clean as well, connections, Selonoids, etc...

I know that my trans is on the way out, what I do now is, I'm sure only temporarily extending its life.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is the tcu. transimission control unit. My dad had this problem and we researched it thouroughly, and there seems to be an official recognition that these circuit boards are predetermined to fail. The AllData website showed the problem and identified the specific electrical componenet failure. Sure enough when we removed the tcu, that same componenet was fried. It is a capacitor that leaks, causes shorting and overloads the microprocessor. all that said the board isint total junk. sometimes it works, sometimes not. There are some who rebuild the tcu or you can buy new. I can later post a picture of the board to verify my statements.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

actually the vehicle I just mention is for a 90-93 accord AT. unless there were no transmission changes, my info may be obsolete. However, you can still check out alldata.com to see if there are any issued problems with that years transmission.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tinkerbell87
No. Your trans is way past any amount of flushing fixing that. If you want to keep the car you need to get a reman trans or take your chances with a junk yard used one. If you go the second route try and get a warranty of some kind.

PS: Good post P Adams. Good info.