Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Timing tensioner question

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing tensioner question

The bolt to the left of the timing tensioner. Is it suppose be tightened all the way? I found the sticky on the timing change but maybe I'm just not comprehending what its saying. I think I'm getting it confused with the nut that goes through both tensioners. Some say to rotate it three teeth counterclockwise while others say to push down and tighten. I cranked it with cover off but I just want to be sure I'm doing this right. Btw whats the torque spec on that little bolt? I cant find it anywhere..
Old 02-20-2017, 09:58 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Timing tensioner question

Are you talking about the bolt that holds the tensioner bracket so that you can put the balance belt on ? What it's talking about is that you need to put the timing belt on first, then you put the timing cover bolt into the hole to hold the bracket so you can put the balance belt on. After you get the balance belt on you remove the bolt that holds the bracket so that you can now set the tension. So next you set the thing to tdc, cam is at tdc and crank should be at tdc, along with the balancer belt being set correctly at each balancer(front and rear). Then tighten up the tensioner bolt itself. It needs to be around 44 ft/lbs. Then you turn the crank bolt so that the CAMSHAFT turns just 3 teeth. Then you loosen up the tensioner bolt about a half a turn. This will allow the two springs to tighten each belt, the timing belt and the balancer belt, with each of the respective springs pulling it so the tension is correct. Then you immediately tighten back up that tensioner bolt to spec. It's actually kinda hard to get a torque wrench on that bolt so just give a good hard tightening. It might be possible to get a flared crows foot on that bolt, I've never tried it, in order to torque it to spec. If you can get one on it with a torque wrench on the other end of the crows foot you might be able to torque it to spec.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If I'm reading it correctly that timing tension pulley isn't suppose to have a bolt. I must have put the oil dip stick bolt in there by mistake. I think I saw a tutorial where a guy put a bolt in there. I cranked the car already so I hope I didn't screw the belt up I'll take it off and redo it. Thankyou for the time you put in your answer.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

After you installed a new belt rotate the engine 4-5 times counterclockwise.
Put everything at TDC.
Rotate the engine counterclockwise three teeth. Now you can put a LEFT BOLT in and tighten it.
After that you may work on the balancer belt - your timing belt will be tensioned correctly.
When finished with the balancer belt tighten the tensioner nut (14 mm) and remove the LEFT BOLT.

Good luck,
Sam
Old 02-21-2017, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by somick
After you installed a new belt rotate the engine 4-5 times counterclockwise.
Put everything at TDC.
Rotate the engine counterclockwise three teeth. Now you can put a LEFT BOLT in and tighten it.
After that you may work on the balancer belt - your timing belt will be tensioned correctly.
When finished with the balancer belt tighten the tensioner nut (14 mm) and remove the LEFT BOLT.

Good luck,
Sam
thsnkyou!!