Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Timing Belt Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt Suggestions

Sup HT,
My 97 Accord SE mileage is (as of today) 292,004. It's quickly approaching 300k. i plan on changing my timing belt once it hits 300k, but im wondering, when i purchase my timing belt, what other things should i look into that go along with a timing belt change? How much would i look to spend?
Old 04-23-2012, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Timing Belt Suggestions

I just did this job on a 94 with 290k.

There is a howto on this site that has a good list.

You'll need a special tool to hold the crank pulley. (a 50 mm hex nut with a round opening in the middle). There are other ways to loosen this nut - but you could spend the better part of a whole day screwing around if things don't go well, you'll save yourself a lot of time by getting the recommended tool. You could check on Amazon for "Honda Crankshaft Pulley Holder Tool" (or something like that). Some auto parts stores do rent them ($40 refundable deposit). If I owned more than one Honda, I'd buy one.

Other parts:
Timing balancer belt.

Power Steering belt

Alternator belt.
(unless you *know* these were recently replaced and are pretty new).

Tensioner rollers. (you may wait until you get it apart to order these - Honda techs check them for wear, and only replace them if they're bad. We bought brand new ones, and the old ones we took out looked original for the car; a little rust-rash, the balancer tensioner had a tiny bit of rumble, but otherwise, these things were in great shape. Check them for play, smooth rolling, etc. They should be about $40-$60 to replace.

Valve cover and spark plug gaskets.

A tube of "hondabond" adhesive (for the gaskets).

If you don't have a balance-shaft seal retainer, you'll *definitely* need to get one. (this was a part added in a recall; the shaft seal would pop out and the engine would leak oil).

Water pump. (on my VW, this is an always-replace item with a timing belt, I don't know if that's the case on the honda).

To be completely OCD, inspect the drive-shaft timing-balancer (front and rear) shaft, and cam shaft seals. These are rubber o-rings where the shafts penetrate the case of the motor. If they're leaking oil, they definitely need to be replaced. At 290,000 miles, well, that seems like a lot to me. We didn't replace them on my son's car, and I hope we don't regret that.

You will probably also need 7 quarts of 50/50 coolant, if you replace the water-pump, because you have to completely drain the system. If you're going to do that - it's also a good time to make sure your thermostat, and heat sensors are good.

You'll also have the front wheels off.
If you're feeling really ambitious, and have a lot of time on your hands: Check the brake pads, of course, and ball joints, etc. As long as you have a torque wrench that goes up to 181 ft-lbs (for that crank pulley nut), this is probably the best time to also refresh any front-end suspension bushings, or CV-joint boots, because you've got to get the front wheel castle nut off for that job.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

whoa...just the answer i needed!!! let get me to "googling"

Originally Posted by tdi4fun
I just did this job on a 94 with 290k.

There is a howto on this site that has a good list.

You'll need a special tool to hold the crank pulley. (a 50 mm hex nut with a round opening in the middle). There are other ways to loosen this nut - but you could spend the better part of a whole day screwing around if things don't go well, you'll save yourself a lot of time by getting the recommended tool. You could check on Amazon for "Honda Crankshaft Pulley Holder Tool" (or something like that). Some auto parts stores do rent them ($40 refundable deposit). If I owned more than one Honda, I'd buy one.

Other parts:
Timing balancer belt.

Power Steering belt

Alternator belt.
(unless you *know* these were recently replaced and are pretty new).

Tensioner rollers. (you may wait until you get it apart to order these - Honda techs check them for wear, and only replace them if they're bad. We bought brand new ones, and the old ones we took out looked original for the car; a little rust-rash, the balancer tensioner had a tiny bit of rumble, but otherwise, these things were in great shape. Check them for play, smooth rolling, etc. They should be about $40-$60 to replace.

Valve cover and spark plug gaskets.

A tube of "hondabond" adhesive (for the gaskets).

If you don't have a balance-shaft seal retainer, you'll *definitely* need to get one. (this was a part added in a recall; the shaft seal would pop out and the engine would leak oil).

Water pump. (on my VW, this is an always-replace item with a timing belt, I don't know if that's the case on the honda).

To be completely OCD, inspect the drive-shaft timing-balancer (front and rear) shaft, and cam shaft seals. These are rubber o-rings where the shafts penetrate the case of the motor. If they're leaking oil, they definitely need to be replaced. At 290,000 miles, well, that seems like a lot to me. We didn't replace them on my son's car, and I hope we don't regret that.

You will probably also need 7 quarts of 50/50 coolant, if you replace the water-pump, because you have to completely drain the system. If you're going to do that - it's also a good time to make sure your thermostat, and heat sensors are good.

You'll also have the front wheels off.
If you're feeling really ambitious, and have a lot of time on your hands: Check the brake pads, of course, and ball joints, etc. As long as you have a torque wrench that goes up to 181 ft-lbs (for that crank pulley nut), this is probably the best time to also refresh any front-end suspension bushings, or CV-joint boots, because you've got to get the front wheel castle nut off for that job.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's the howto:
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/how-replace-timing-belt-timing-balancer-belt-water-pump-f22b1-1908944/

The whole thread has some useful "war-stories" too.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks again x2

Originally Posted by tdi4fun:thumbup:
Here's the howto:
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1908944

The whole thread has some useful "war-stories" too.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't forget to get a cam seal, they usually go around then in Hondas. Good luck!
Old 04-24-2012, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cam seal, balancing shaft seal, Gates timming belt (OEM maker just cheaper), front main seal, water pump, valve cover gasket (oem), spark plug tube seals, basic tune up, tensioner is good to replace while you have it apart but if no play in bearing or noise then maybe re use.. Napa sells a timming belt kits with the gates belt, water pump and tensioner.. Well mine does atleast
Old 04-25-2012, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for all the info!!!