Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Timing Belt Soon - "BOV Whoosh Noise???"

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 Timing Belt Soon - "BOV Whoosh Noise???"

I have recently made a steal at spending $1,000 dollars for a 1994 Honda Accord with 93,000 miles on the stock engine.

While the car rides smooth and shifts well. (AutoMatic)
I do notice the car makes a very LOUD and noticeable "WHOOSH" noise, when moderately to slowly accelerating right at the gear change.

So to reexplain: If I put my foot to the pedal and about 45mph-50 it shifts out of first. Smooth, and Clean NO NOISE.

If I accelerate moderate - somewhat slowly, when it shifts over there is a "whoosh" noise with a slight jerk. Similar sound of a BOV on a turbo.
Keeping in mind this is an automatic, there should be no jerk or noise!!

So, I am a bit clueless. I have gone to a local Honda Dealership where the car was originally purchased and the mechanic even drove the car for their inspection. I was told its basic sound and shouldnt be worried about.

Honda Dealership did a free "40 Point" Inspection.

Results were only:

Timing Belt - $865.00 (Including all parts, labor, Belt, Fastener, Pumps)
They also recommended while the engine is dropped to do the following:
Valve Cover Gasket - $75.00
Oil Pan and Oil pan Gasket - $88.00

Other Items:
Air Filter - $55.00 (Went to Napa and spent $15.00 DIY..duh)
Oil Change and Filter - $65.00 (Went to Jiffy Lube - $19.99 w/ 4QT)
Front End Alignment - $85.00

I have gotten estimates around town that range from about $450-650 for full Timing Belt (Including all parts, labor, Belt, Fastener, Pumps)

Even asked about the noise...SAME answer. I have gone to other shops so that THEY can hear the noise but still no one can give me a straight answer. They range from typical noise, to maybe a belts loose.

Instead of "_________" is making the noise and it cost $_.__ to fix...!

Out of all hand in hand the car is a steal and a fun, quick driver. I just wish I knew what the noise was. Instead of fixing it, I find myself toying with cars who have real power and actual turbos, and they will give it a run because they hear the noise.

So any ideas?

Ive had a transmission flush, Engine cleaning top and interior, oil change, air filter change, and all fluids changed and topped since having the car.

Looking for timing belt and a few tune up items (plugs, wires, etc..)

ANY IDEAS?
Old 12-03-2008, 04:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Is the noise distinctive enough to get a recording of it; or would it be overwhelmed by background noise? It would help if I could hear it.
Personally, I don't think the noise is "Normal". But I do understand the answer you're getting from everyone.
They don't want to tie up a tech for two days doing road tests trying to find this thing, and have to charge you $800 in diagnostic fees to find a bad motor mount.....
Either way, this is going to be time intensive; so let's attack this thing intelligently.

Is there anything else you've noticed, ie:
General location?
Does it get worst under heavy accelleration?
Anything else whacky going on?

Don't feel bad about "So, I am a bit clueless"
This would give anyone the *******...

P
Old 12-03-2008, 05:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the sound occure when the tranny is cold or warmed up or both? Also when was the last time the fluid was changed? May be nothing, may be something. I would keep driving it till it get's a little worse. If it stays the same then I really wouldn't worry about it.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For general info this is a completely stock 1994 honda accord dx 4CYL Automatic

Weather its warm or cold the noise is about the same. I think I could record a little drive with my digital camera and upload it.

I notice the noise from about 0-65, after that between road noise its a little hard to hear. The only thing that is noticed is "HARD SHIFTING" in early gears.

For example, from a dead stop (0-40) If I just hard accelerate the noise doesnt happen much when it shifts over. If at that point (at 40mph drive) I accelerate to about 60 and it shifts up and than break back down to 35-40 for it to reshift (HUGE WHOOSH Noise).

If I roll up to about the same speeds as above but not giving it full power the Noise is louder, and it shift smoother.

So with that scenario, and similar accel - decels with a quick shift from the tranny it gives off the "wHoosh" noise.

I have myself believing it is transmission related. Going to get an inspection on Monday. Guess I will see what they have in store!