Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

timing belt problems - check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing belt problems - check engine light

I just replaced my timing belt and water pump on my 98 accord with about 100k miles on it. I started to get a check engine light so I took it back to the place where I got the belt changed and here's what they told me:

1. the engine is now running so well because of how tight and snug the belt is, its affecting the sensors because all of the other systems such as the catalytic converter is old. in other words the engine is running so well, the computer doesnt know how to make sense of it, and the repair shop is saying we need to replace the catalytic converter to get everything in sync, or the computer may eventually shut off, and the car stop working in mid-drive.

what are your guys' thoughts? is this bogus? should i take it into the dealership and just have them tinker with the computer?

thanks!
Old 11-12-2005, 09:13 AM

Default Re: timing belt problems - check engine light (uteric)

i got it replaced at a place called drivers edge. the cost was about 450 ish
Old 11-12-2005, 09:16 AM

man thats mad bullshit, theres so way a new timeing belt would cause a cel unless they did somthign wrong
Old 11-12-2005, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^i was thinking that too. but since i dont know much,i cant follow my hunch just because ima skeptical kinda dude.

anyway Uteric,you could of replied to me in the private box lol. thats why its called private messaging. anyway 450 for replacement of all belts + water pump ? thats a great freaking deal! honda wanna charge me 630+ not including tax they said. so im still looking around for shops.

btw were the belts all OEM replacements?
Old 11-12-2005, 09:17 AM

did the check engine light turn off?
Old 11-12-2005, 09:18 AM

Default Re: timing belt problems - check engine light (Stealthman80)

and now they want me to replace my catalytic converter?? thats going to be so expensive. does the dealership usually just change the belt, then tinker with the sensors?
Old 11-12-2005, 09:19 AM

the CEL light is still on, so i took it back in. I figured they f-ed something up, but now they are saying i need to replace my others systems to get everything in sync or the sensors will go nuts. i dont know about this because my 98 honda accord sedan has never had a problem.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hold on tight before you pay. im sure someone here can help. im just guessing though,but i think they're F-ing with you. either that or my CEL light is broke and im driving a ticking time bomb
Old 11-12-2005, 09:34 AM

Default Re: (ThunderCat)

looking at my notes - the repairman said it was a code 420 - or something having to deal with the sensors. anybody have any thoughts?
Old 11-12-2005, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: (uteric)

420 is catalyst system below threshold. Maybe they need to change that. But I would be sceptical about any other changes they want to make.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by uteric &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I just replaced my timing belt and water pump on my 98 accord with about 100k miles on it. I started to get a check engine light so I took it back to the place where I got the belt changed and here's what they told me:

1. the engine is now running so well because of how tight and snug the belt is, its affecting the sensors because all of the other systems such as the catalytic converter is old. in other words the engine is running so well, the computer doesnt know how to make sense of it, and the repair shop is saying we need to replace the catalytic converter to get everything in sync, or the computer may eventually shut off, and the car stop working in mid-drive.

what are your guys' thoughts? is this bogus? should i take it into the dealership and just have them tinker with the computer?

thanks!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is the worse CRACK of **** explanation that i have ever heard ..especially the fact that (( how snug the belt is that it is affecting the sensor )))lol lol (( the engine is running so well the computer doesn't know how to make sense of it ))) lol lol lol ,, what a bunch of BOZOS ...
Ok first off, was there any chk engine lites on or did it ever come on before they replaced the t-belt??? if not , how soon after the t-belt job did the lite come on ??
go to autozone, read the code and post it here ,, it might be that it is a total coincidence but i cannot tell till i know the code or codes ,,,,but even if they had nothing to do with it i would not let these BOZOS touch my car ever again .. (( need to replace the cat to get everything in sync or the computer might shut off )) LOL LOL ......
Old 11-12-2005, 10:09 AM

I am noob too. but I would like to help you, OK while you are doing timing belt did you disconnect negative of your battery cable, if you don't ECU might receive some wrong information.

indeed your engine running so well, but like you said everything else in you car still old, but again if they also work so well we shouldn't get error code to the computer(ECU) right ?

OK now, did you reset your computer (ECU) ? no
then this is how I reset my ECU, remove negative cable from the battery, now wait 10 minutes - if you want hold the break paddle for while (this will flush all memory from ecu) then reconnect the battery cable, now turn off everything stuff like cd player, fogs, etc you have, start the car - wait another 10 minutes (or wait until your cooling fans kicks in) now don't touch nothing (don't even think about pushing gas paddle OK)

you may hearing your cooling fan kicks in , ya now you can turn off the car, now wait 2 minutes, ok start again, go ahead and drive it around, if their is no other problems, your engine is fine tune for the best and all the errors should go away

I had check engine, I manage to get rid off them like that.

ujhonda
Old 11-12-2005, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: timing belt problems - check engine light (ujhonda)

the ecu does not receive any wrong inputs ,where is it going to get the wrong information from????,,and there is no need to disconnect battery when doing a timing belt..