Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Honda wont start right

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 04:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon4 Honda wont start right

Alright guys I need some help that some of you may have run across. I have a 1995 Honda accord LX 2.2L. Okay so here is my dilemma, I get in my vehicle and when I go to start it up...The fuel pump primes it starts up and it runs like a champ. Well then it rains and its hit or miss with this cause it will start up right away and sometimes it wont. When it wont it I sit in the parking lot with the key in the ignition until I hear the fuel pump prime ,which can take anywhere from 10-20 minutes(It Varies), but once it starts again nothing is out of the ordinary. I get home and park it and it usually is just there until the next morning for work. The next day ill get up and well guess what? It wont start right away again so I have to sit and wait until again I hear the fuel pump prime then it will start.I've got a buddy who has an amazing garage and extensive knowledge of vehicles, and we've been chasing this problem for about 2 years now.

Here is what we've tried:
Replaced main relay 2 different times(Soldered the original one and it seemed to work but then the problem persisted, so bought a new one)
Replaced Distributor(It had oil leaking from it so figured that could have been it)
Checked ECU (Nothing seemed out of the ordinary there)
Bought new valve cover gaskets(original was not sealing correctly anymore so for obvious reason)
New spark plugs(for good measure)
Changed the fuel pump
Checked all fuses

Nothing seems to work. Any ideas would greatly help. Thanks
Old 12-06-2016, 06:30 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Honda wont start right

Does everything else work all the time, radio, electric window, etc? Check your ground connections throughout the vehicle. I had a car that had multiple grounds connected at a certain point. When it rained somehow water would sit at that point. It kept shorting out the grounds and the car would run rough sometimes or wouldn't start at all. One of the grounds was for the fuel pump.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No we never thought to look, ill have to check those out when it finally stops raining here.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:04 AM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Basics.
Verify battery voltage.
Verify battery connections are clean and tight, if stock radio get code before disconnecting.
Verify battery cables are clean and tight. Both ends.
Verify grounds are clean.
When the car does not start, jiggle the key in the II(ON) position. With age/use the plastic ignition switch located on the backside of the key tumbler lock can wear out and have intermittent contact.
Verify battery voltage to and from ignition switch leads at appropriate settings LOCK(OFF), I(UNLOCK), II(ON), III(START).
Old 12-06-2016, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon3 Re: Honda wont start right

Originally Posted by MAD_MIKE
Basics.
Verify battery voltage.
Verify battery connections are clean and tight, if stock radio get code before disconnecting.
Verify battery cables are clean and tight. Both ends.
Verify grounds are clean.
When the car does not start, jiggle the key in the II(ON) position. With age/use the plastic ignition switch located on the backside of the key tumbler lock can wear out and have intermittent contact.
Verify battery voltage to and from ignition switch leads at appropriate settings LOCK(OFF), I(UNLOCK), II(ON), III(START).
Thanks man I only know so much. ill check these things.
Old 12-07-2016, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you buy an aftermarket relay by chance, or OEM? Honestly if your running an aftermarket main relay (Oriellys/Autozone/Advance Auto/Napa/Ebay ect.) have a buddy that has a running accord as well swap in his known working main relay, and or vice versa install yours in his car, or grab a couple OEM relays from wrecked accords in a salvage yard for cheap. Aftermarket relay's will never be made as well as the OE stuff, hence the price difference "you get what you pay for". Had many instances where the relays I bought in the past were faulty, even from Napa sad to say. I know you may've re-soldered your OEM one and Im not questioning your ability but even that sometimes is hit or miss on the repair.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

you want oem mitsuba it's cheap and worth every penny:

RY169 Fuel Pump Main Relay FOR Honda Accord Prelude CL TL Odyssey RZ0088 Mitsuba | eBay