Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

push rods and tire alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 10:21 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default push rods and tire alignment?

So we went to Les Schwab today to get tires and alignment and they asked the last time we had our push rods changed and said they couldn't do the alignment until we did, but also were unable to provide a quote to do it. But were happy to sell me tires for my 1999 honda accord for over $500. Anyone know what they are talking about?
Old 03-15-2018, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: push rods and tire alignment?

I believe they mean tie rod ends- they connect steering gear to the wheel/knuckle through a ball joint connection. They do go bad.
They are correct, in that you need to align the car after changing these, and not before. But I'd be concerned about getting an alignment done at a place that can't/won't tell you if your ball joints are bad. You might consider taking it someplace else that would do a suspension check (there's a ball joint on the upper arm that goes bad, too) and then an alignment check.
My son's car (94 LX, 158K miles) would not pass state inspection, due to a loose tie rod joint= $180 at the shop, which I'm embarrassed to say, as it's a pretty simple repair and a pretty cheap part ($50 OEM/$20 RockAuto).
My 09 EXL (130K miles) failed inspection last year for bad upper arm ***** joints. Not as simple a repair, but doable. (and yes, the roads here are hideous!)
Old 03-15-2018, 10:24 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what did they say the reason was that they couldn't give you a quote for how much to change the tie rods ? ask to speak with the manager and have them give you a specific reason
Old 03-17-2018, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Tie rod ends is a maintenance item and periodically need to be replaced.

You may get new tires installed but make sure to address the tie rod ends. If you do not your new tires will be ruined much faster.

Good luck,
Sam
Old 03-17-2018, 09:37 AM
Global Moderator

Received 420 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by somick
Tie rod ends is a maintenance item and periodically need to be replaced.

Sam
This is a false and misleading statement. They are not a maintenance item that needs to be periodically replaced. Your statement may make people believe they should replaced them when there may be nothing wrong with them.

They are a wear item and should be replaced if worn.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tech8
This is a false and misleading statement. They are not a maintenance item that needs to be periodically replaced. Your statement may make people believe they should replaced them when there may be nothing wrong with them.

They are a wear item and should be replaced if worn.
Thanks for correcting me.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:15 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by @QweenG
So we went to Les Schwab today to get tires and alignment and they asked the last time we had our push rods changed and said they couldn't do the alignment until we did, but also were unable to provide a quote to do it. But were happy to sell me tires for my 1999 honda accord for over $500. Anyone know what they are talking about?
Originally Posted by smithers646
I believe they mean tie rod ends- they connect steering gear to the wheel/knuckle through a ball joint connection. They do go bad.
They are correct, in that you need to align the car after changing these, and not before. But I'd be concerned about getting an alignment done at a place that can't/won't tell you if your ball joints are bad. You might consider taking it someplace else that would do a suspension check (there's a ball joint on the upper arm that goes bad, too) and then an alignment check.
My son's car (94 LX, 158K miles) would not pass state inspection, due to a loose tie rod joint= $180 at the shop, which I'm embarrassed to say, as it's a pretty simple repair and a pretty cheap part ($50 OEM/$20 RockAuto).
My 09 EXL (130K miles) failed inspection last year for bad upper arm ***** joints. Not as simple a repair, but doable. (and yes, the roads here are hideous!)
Do you have any idea of how many time do i have to turn the tie rod end in each side?