Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Starter/Battery??? Not starting

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter/Battery??? Not starting

I have a 1997 SE Accord, Auto, no mods except for intake

i live in virgina so its cold.. (i like to think the weather effects the start up of a car )

My accord will not start, i will turn my key to where it goes ''beeeeep beeeep" or whatever and u can see the check engine light and all other dash lights go on, and then i will turn the keey the rest of the way and u will hear a 'CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK" kinda rapidly but not extremley. I have had this same problem before, but not until i installed a sound system in.. when it did happne, i figured it was b.c my system was draining all the juice from my battery, so i instealled a capacator (spelling) in and Before i coudl start it though i had to jump it and never had problems with starting it every again.. then i moved from texas to virgina and after that didnt really drive, i would start it here and there, and it was no problem..

Then about a month into virginia, i went outside when it was kinda icey adn tried to start the car and it would do the rapid click, and then not start.. so this time i turned the key and pumped the gas and it started... When i came home, i didnt start my car for mabey another 4 days or so and this time i cant ge tit ot start at all. I would LIKE to think it isnt the starter.. when i turn the key like i said it will click and all dash lights will blink and then if i hold the key to where it clicks.. you will here this... sound as if a belt was trying to turn or somethign adn then it will stop.. like the belt was trying to get power to turn for a split second.. so liek i said i dont want to think it is the starter, b.c i don thave the money to replace it..

I have no idea where the starter is to tap on it while i try to turn the key, to see if thats the problem.. if i have to get under the car, then thast another problem b.c i don thave a jack (Sense i just moved) and my car is lowered about 2.25 inches all the way around.

Im HOPING it is the battery.. it tested good about 2 months before i cam to VA which would be around 3 or 4 months ago.. u think the battery could have gone bad? (it isnt the factory batter, i have had this car for a year and i havent replaced the battery sense ibought it off someone) .

any tricks or anything i can do to see if it is the starter or battery? besides taping on the starter (unless i don thave to get under the car)

any help would be greatly appricated it

THANKS!

ps.. i took the fuse out that hooks up the amp to my battery or watever, and turned off my radio to where it doesnt come on everytime u start the car. just thought i would mention that. ALSO i just got it inspected by the state a few weeks ago, do they test batterys? or no.....
Old 12-24-2005, 07:55 AM
In a Junkyard near you.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have a weak battery. Notice that it's rated in Cold Cranking amps. Batteries get weaker and weaker as it gets colder and colder. So Texas weather would make it stay "good" for a lot longer. But up here in Va theese 20 degree mornings make it a heck of a lot weaker.
So go ahead and replace the battery.
Va state inspection does not include a battery test.
Old 12-24-2005, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MooGoCow3)

Hey thanks alot , guess im just use to hot azz weather , ill definatly get a new battery (acually been thinking about it for awhile now)

Old 12-24-2005, 07:57 AM
In a Junkyard near you.

Just FYI Honda now carries 100 month batteries.
Old 12-24-2005, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Starter/Battery??? Not starting (Honda_Accord)

it could be your starter, but when that happened to mine, i found it to be the battery. Take the terminals off and scrub them down with a wire brush and same thing on the battery, do it gently to expose the fresh copper. Then put them back on and make sure they are tight and won't wiggle around. I found my problem was that the corroided terminals were loose after i put my sound system on, i didn't tighten the battery all the way, and it'd make my car sometimes not start. Also, look at your cables, they might be starting to get corroided, usually the positive one. After you make sure everything is ok, try to jump it and see if it will start. If your not getting any power to the car when you try to jump it, change the grounds around because sometimes hondas have funky grounds. If you know you're getting power (you'll hear the other engine bog down for a few seconds as its alternator charges the other battery) and still getting the clicking, then it's your starter.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You may find your answer among some of my previously posted replys to a question much like yours

"If the dash, dome or headlamps don't dim while trying to start the vehicle, most likely it's a Starter that has started going South. In effect the starter comprises two parts
1) A heavy Duty Relay (Starter Solenoid) which draws (at most) 10 Amps and
2) The Starter Motor Itself; which draws anywhere b'tween 150 and 300 Amps.
If it clicks but doesn't dim the headlamps, the solenoid is pulling in properly but isn't making the heavy duty connection for the starter motor."

"You will get 'clicking' from a starter for more than one reason. And the frequency of those clicks are a good clue as to what's going on.
1) Single Click, Snap noise from Battery Area, Lights went out: Connection arced and then lost connection. (sometimes accompanied by Exploding Battery). Badly Corroded Cable ends @ Battery.
2) Multiple Clicks: Multiple rhythmic clicks (low frequency), lights dim (quite obvious) with each click. Battery Charge very low. Sufficient capacity to draw in solenoid, but releases when starter draw drops voltage and solenoid releases. Battery Charge Issue.
3) Multiple Clicks: Rapid repeat, lights dim (just barely). Battery sufficiently charged. Solenoid engaging and releasing without energizing Starter Motor. Starter Issue.

"If the starter were healthy, but the battery were 'bad'; you'd get one click, the lights would dim to almost nothing and the starter MIGHT get off a turn b4 it gave up the ghost."

Hope you find this helpful

P
Old 12-24-2005, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Starter/Battery??? Not starting (P_Adams)

Hmm.. im having trouble figureing out if its 2 or 3.. because i havent been around cars and heard all diff. types of clicks... i belive it is a rapid click which would be 3.. but then again.. it isnt rapid rapid.. just medium rapid.. lol.. its sooooo hard to explain.. mabey i can get a video or audio on it .. u think that would help? .. im just soooooooo praying it isnt the starter lol.

thanks for the help. ill keep it updated as i try to figure everything out

ps... how much do starters run for?
Old 12-24-2005, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Starter Prices: Mitsuba '96-'97 2.2L 4spd AT

Majestic Honda: Sells @ Dlr wholesale to public. $209.76 Honda Reman
http://www.hondaautomotivepart...204AT
TAS Autoparts: Sells at retail, and is actually more expensive than Honda $235.95
http://www.secureleadercom.com...block
Deathzone Autoparts may well <U>pay you</U> to take one of theirs (if you promise never to come back )

One additional Point; although I wouldn't buy a dead gerbil from Deathzone, they do offer free tests for both the Battery and Alternator. It might be something you want to look into

P
Old 12-24-2005, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Starter/Battery??? Not starting (P_Adams)

Ya i was thinking about taking the battery to autozone to test it..

again ill keep ya'll posted as i come to the conclusion to the problem

Old 12-24-2005, 04:08 PM
In a Junkyard near you.

I still stand beside my battery prediction.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Starter/Battery??? Not starting (MooGoCow3)

Update:

I went and bought one of those battery things that clean the nipples and what not.. and also bought that paint that helps them not corrod (for less confusion i used my brothers car to go get it ) and after i connected everything, tightend everything as tight as my power allowed me.. The car started up just fine as if there was nothing wrong.. Infact it started up faster then usual..

However im still planning on getting a new battery.

THANKS to all help , and ill definatly be back once something else goes worng, b.c im sure it will happen

Old 12-26-2005, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yup, thats exactly what i did. Glad we could help