Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Squealing noise in a 1994 Accord LX

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squealing noise in a 1994 Accord LX

There's a loud squealing noise coming from the under drive pulleys in my car. The sound seems to originate from the pulley belts. At first I thought it was the power steering belt that was making the noise. So I put a new power steering belt and the car is still making the noise loud as ever. I did have an oil spill in my car because somebody stole my oil cap and I drove off without it. The next time I opened my hood I saw a complete mess with oil all over the pulleys. I recently cleaned the pulleys 3 times thoroughly with engine degrease and spraying it down with water. The noise seems to disappear when I spray the pulleys with water while the car is running but comes right back as soon as I stop spraying it with water.
When I drive my car it squeals when I have it in gear. The higher the rpms the louder the noise. If I put it in neutral and rev the car the noise goes away for a little while. I dont have any power steering fluid because it all leaked out of the car a months ago but this noise just recently started and it seems to be getting worse.

Help would be appreciated.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Squealing noise in a 1994 Accord LX

Originally Posted by Greatness
There's a loud squealing noise coming from the under drive pulleys in my car. The sound seems to originate from the pulley belts. At first I thought it was the power steering belt that was making the noise. So I put a new power steering belt and the car is still making the noise loud as ever. I did have an oil spill in my car because somebody stole my oil cap and I drove off without it. The next time I opened my hood I saw a complete mess with oil all over the pulleys. I recently cleaned the pulleys 3 times thoroughly with engine degrease and spraying it down with water. The noise seems to disappear when I spray the pulleys with water while the car is running but comes right back as soon as I stop spraying it with water.
When I drive my car it squeals when I have it in gear. The higher the rpms the louder the noise. If I put it in neutral and rev the car the noise goes away for a little while. I dont have any power steering fluid because it all leaked out of the car a months ago but this noise just recently started and it seems to be getting worse.

Help would be appreciated.
It sounds like the oil from your leak has contaminated your belts, they've since glazed over (polished to an ultra smooth surface). There is no effective way to clean them; the oil they absorbed will continue to bleed out regardless of what you do.

I would suggest pulling off all the belts and start the engine cold. This will confirm / deny the belts are the problem. If the noise has subsided with the belts off, purchase new ones for replacement.
Redouble your efforts to clean the engine compartment before reinstallation. Clean the pulleys one last time with Brake Clean. It does not leave a residue once dry.
Install your new belts.

P
Old 08-26-2009, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't we have collision/interference motors? Without belts, he'd be smashing pistons and valves.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:36 PM

hm do you have your ac on? if you do it's the same as my brother's car and your ac belt is loose or just try tightening the belts screeching usually happens when it's either loose or getting old could be the timing belt
Old 08-26-2009, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by accord_raffi
Don't we have collision/interference motors? Without belts, he'd be smashing pistons and valves.
Several points Skippy;

For the purposes of this discussion, the inference was that the belts to be removed were those exterior belts. The timing belt would remain.
Besides, how could I (or anyone else for that matter) possibly expect the engine to start/run with the timing belt removed?

P
Old 08-26-2009, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also the timing belt won't slip....it will jump time, totally different scenario.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by P_Adams
It sounds like the oil from your leak has contaminated your belts, they've since glazed over (polished to an ultra smooth surface). There is no effective way to clean them; the oil they absorbed will continue to bleed out regardless of what you do.

I would suggest pulling off all the belts and start the engine cold. This will confirm / deny the belts are the problem. If the noise has subsided with the belts off, purchase new ones for replacement.
Redouble your efforts to clean the engine compartment before reinstallation. Clean the pulleys one last time with Brake Clean. It does not leave a residue once dry.
Install your new belts.

P
i agree

i'd also like to add that if the noise quits with the old belts off, but returns with the new belts... you may want to consider the pulleys/accessory bearings making the noise. less common than belts, but still a possibility.

in automotive applications, all the bearings should be sealed, but if these seals are worn, the washing and degreasing you did could have "de-greased" the bearings internally, causing noise. or they could just be old and worn...
Old 08-27-2009, 01:46 PM

I need another alternator belt and maybe some new underdrive pulleys. I hope not though. I dont want to put work into this engine cause Im trying to do an engine swap.