Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Squeaky fan blower-FIXED!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Squeaky fan blower-FIXED!

Yesterday, the fan blower in my '97 Accord started squeaking like hell, and it was driving me nuts. This afternoon, I fixed it! Here's how:

I'm not responsible for any breaking/damage to your vehicle. Do this at your own risk, if you're not mechanically inclined enough to do this, DONT.

Tools needed:
T25 Torx bit
1/4 ratchet
OR
Flathead screwdriver/flathead bit
Phillips head screwdriver
Pliers
Booze

Patience

1. Go underneath your passenger side dash, and unclip the plug on the fan blower.
2. Remove the 3 T25 torx/flathead screws
3. Finagle out the fan blower, it's kind of a pain to get it wiggled out, so be patient! You may have to spin/rotate it to get it out. Drink booze.
4. Once out, remove the two phillips head screws holding the black plastic motor cover to the motor. Remove the small inspection cover on the larger plastic cover
5. Using the pliers, remove the clip holding the white plastic fan to the motor's shaft.
6. Now the fun part. You can either elect to remove the fan first(harder) or the motor cover. They're both a pain in the *** and require patience and a steady, yet firm prying motion. BOTH need to be removed to properly clean and lube the motor.
7a. Removing the motor cover will require you to pry the black plastic cover away from the motor. You'll have to shove some kind of flathead/small prybar between the cover and the metal motor. Do this Carefully, working either side until you have it fully off. Drink Booze.
7b. Removing the fan first, you'll have to use the prying device here again. I found it easier to use a short small prybar to get between the motor cover and the white fan, prying SLOWLY back and forth with some wiggling. It WILL come off, just be patient. Drink Booze.
8. Once both covers are off, either use some kind of compressed air or blow into all the spaces on the blower motor to get all the dust/dirt out. Then clean the motor with a DRY rag.
9. Clean the white fan out with a dry rag.
10. lube the shaaaaft of the motor with some wd40. You don't need a lot, and don't get it into the internals of the motor. Do the same to the shaaaaft hole of the white fan.
11. Reassembly! The fan will only go on one way, so that's easy. You can either put the fan on first, or the cover. Drink Booze.
12. The cover will also go on one way, but be careful to align the prongs for the plug properly, as well as the screw holes that hold the cover to the motor. Put the small inspection cover back onto the black motor cover.
13. When it's all assembled, plug it back into the car, make sure the fan isn't going to hit anything, and turn the key to the acc position. Make sure to run it through all speeds to ensure it isn't squeaking and working properly.
14. Wiggle that fan blower motor assembly back into its hole, aligning it properly and tighten down the screws.
15. You're done! Drink more booze, and don't drive now that you're all boozed up.

I'm not doing it again as it's a pain, but someone else who does it can add pictures.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Squeaky fan blower-FIXED!

Update:

Not fixed. Squeak came back. Time to go junkyard diving. Most likely, the blower motor needs rebuilt.