Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Interesting product.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting product.

I was watching one of those muscle car tv shows the other day (you know the ones on the speed channel) and they decided to sup up a civic. they used a few interesting products but...

....the one that im curuious about is the CAI they used, it was hooked up to what appeared to be a front mount intercooler (no they did not turbo the car, and yes im sure of this). I was wondering if anyone knew what product that was, and if it works any better than a standard CAI.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:55 PM

Default Re: Interesting product. (skingfreak)

it was prob. one of these things...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...wItem

i think they would work just as well as any other CAI other than the fact that im sure it would get soaked when it rained
Old 02-20-2007, 03:04 PM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

hahahahhahah
the inter"fool"er, yeah they're gay
Old 02-20-2007, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TheMuffinMan)

haha i dont want one, i like stock i was just curious about the product, and sharing it with HT, cause ive never seen anything like it.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Interesting product. (cire199)

it was like that, only instead of having the filter right there, it was metal just like an intercooler.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:32 PM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

yeah, they were nicknamed interfoolers, it's just a CAI that mimicks the intercooler
Old 02-20-2007, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TheMuffinMan)

i think the jokes on you if you use one, someone pulls up thinking your boosted, you race em, get ur *** handed to you. end of story lol. Jokes still on you. (not you persay)

So does being out front like that help grap the colder air any better? and make for any kind of HP difference?
Old 02-20-2007, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by skingfreak &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was watching one of those muscle car tv shows the other day (you know the ones on the speed channel) and they decided to sup up a civic. they used a few interesting products but...

....the one that im curuious about is the CAI they used, it was hooked up to what appeared to be a front mount intercooler (no they did not turbo the car, and yes im sure of this). I was wondering if anyone knew what product that was, and if it works any better than a standard CAI.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, I used to like watching those types of shows too. More and more they are becoming infomercials, trying to sell you the sponsor's products. Watch the show, just don't believe all the sales crap.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Interesting product. (BLKFLSH)

haha very true, it was 1 in the afternoon during the week, it was either this or some teletubys
Old 02-20-2007, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Interesting product. (BLKFLSH)

That kind of "interfooler" is hot!

I agree with BLKFLSH, they are using shows to sell products.....
Old 02-20-2007, 07:03 PM

Default Re: Interesting product. (gianinline)

We need to find some hard numbers showing it up against other styles from different manufacturers and see what the difference really is. I've always been curious about how much that actually helps, myself.

Now, you would *think* that obviously, it's right out in front, down low, and has a pretty damn big opening. That in theory would have to be more efficient at scooping up cold air, than say, over in the closed off area where CAI's usually live.

I'm sure that this thing was made exactly for the reason of looking like an intercooler and the wow factor, but if it actually makes any power, that is to be seen. It may even turn out that it is less efficient in the sense that it has extra, unecessary bends that just hinder and restrict airflow. Who knows for sure. That's when you start getting into crazy fluid dynamics and physics calculating drag coefficients on bends and diameters and my brain hurts!

If you want to try something out and have a spare intercooler laying around (as most people do) , try making one of my design that I came up with a few years ago. Again, this may just hinder airflow but it would look cooler than that one on ebay. Although, I think it would make some power if you froze the intercooler with a C02 sprayer!

Old 02-22-2007, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Interesting product. (Twistedframe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Twistedframe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you want to try something out and have a spare intercooler laying around (as most people do) </TD></TR></TABLE>

im not boosted so i dont have spare parts lying around. sounds interesting tho
Old 02-22-2007, 02:40 PM

let me guess, it was a green civic, right? and in the end of the show they actually had to mount the airfilter inside the engine compartment b/c of fitment issues with the aftermarket bumper? I saw that episode about a year ago. I actually do like that show though. I think its called two guy garage I think.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Interesting product. (75thRanger)

Yeah it was a green civic, and im not sure on the end, cause i didnt end up watching the whole episode. but yeah sounds about right.

But back on topic, has anyone ever heard any proof that these would work any better?
Old 02-22-2007, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Interesting product. (Twistedframe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Twistedframe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i have also thought of that before when i was bored in class. but if you think about it, the cooling benefits of the intercooler is non-existent, since your sucking in ambient air and the same air your sucking in is hitting the inercooler. having the intercooler there will just restrict air flow but making your engine suck it through all those tiny little passage ways. not to mention decrease in throttle response due to lenghtey piping
Old 02-23-2007, 12:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Interesting product. (cire199)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cire199 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it was prob. one of these things...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...wItem

i think they would work just as well as any other CAI other than the fact that im sure it would get soaked when it rained </TD></TR></TABLE>

yuk... cai and that's about it as far as an intake goes...

ps... thanks for sharing...

my bad... sorry...