Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

So thinking about buying a 99 Accord Coupe??

Old 01-18-2017, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So thinking about buying a 99 Accord Coupe??

So need a daily. Had a 94 Civic back in the day and enjoyed it and always found this site to give me fair advice. Found a clean 99 LX w/ 190,000 manual tran w/ the 4 banger. Seems untouched, two owner, stock w/ very clean interior. I'm in North Texas and wonder what is fair price? Also know wont keep it stock and have not bought import parts in a while (have a 2000 Camaro SS w/ only 78,00) so also considering price to lower(spring/strut,coil overs, bags) and inexpensive rim/tire combo. Been perusing the pic thread sticky and really like the look of many of y'alls rides of this model years w/ tasteful mods. Any advice or suggestions appreciated!
Old 01-18-2017, 11:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: So thinking about buying a 99 Accord Coupe??

#1 rule when buying a 6th Gen Accord. DON'T BUY AN AUTOMATIC. As far as this goes, you're good.

Other than that, as long as its been taken care of, and appears in good shape, you should be fine.
As far as suspension goes, there are different setups to recommend depending on what you plan to use the car for.
With wheels and tires, you kind of have to tread a fine line if you want cheap, but not low quality. You're best being willing to spend a bit more for quality wheels, than to cut corners with something that's going to be prone to cracking, bending, etc. Also depends on what specs you want for wheels....wider for more grip, or just a decent looking upgrade.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So pulled the trigger on a very clean 99 Coupe 5 speed. Post some pics tomorrow. Need advice cause hate the stance. Read the suspension threads and see the Konis and GCs seem to be best bet? Not trying to slam it but needs to be lower. Body is very clean for age/mileage and engine bay is spotless. What wheel size and offset fits when lowered w/o fender mod? Thanks
Old 01-23-2017, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Bsleezy
So pulled the trigger on a very clean 99 Coupe 5 speed. Post some pics tomorrow. Need advice cause hate the stance. Read the suspension threads and see the Konis and GCs seem to be best bet? Not trying to slam it but needs to be lower. Body is very clean for age/mileage and engine bay is spotless. What wheel size and offset fits when lowered w/o fender mod? Thanks
Koni/GC is a GREAT setup for the price. I have a set on my 5th Gen Accord, and its hands down the best you can get under $1k. For what you want, this setup should be perfect. It will come with pretty comfortable spring rates. In the future you can always go for stiffer ones too.

As far as wheel specs, I know its fairly similar to 5th Gens. I always recommend rolling at least the front fenders, just so you avoid cutting into your tires regardless of wheel setup. Assuming you want something you can run a decent sized tire on, I'd say something as aggressive as 17x8 +35 is as aggressive as you'd want to go. 225/45 tires would be good for an 8" wide wheel. If you find something 7.5 or so, stick with 215/45s. The rear, you can get away with a little lower offset, but for the fronts I wouldn't recommend going much lower on unrolled fenders. If you do roll the fenders, you can run wider wheels and tires. I've ran 17x9 +35 with a 245/40 tire with just a fender roll.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the info!! So the clutch master piston where it meets at the ball on shift fork rattles/vibrates and makes a squeaking noise. Is there an adjustment or a bushing to replace? If it push piston slightly or hold fork against piston the squeak stops. Also wanted info on 5 lug swaps and converting rear drum to disk. Search but not sure what applies to my ride. Post some pics soon.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Bsleezy
Thanks for the info!! So the clutch master piston where it meets at the ball on shift fork rattles/vibrates and makes a squeaking noise. Is there an adjustment or a bushing to replace? If it push piston slightly or hold fork against piston the squeak stops. Also wanted info on 5 lug swaps and converting rear drum to disk. Search but not sure what applies to my ride. Post some pics soon.
I think you are talking about the slave cylinder. You may want to pull it out an look at it. I know they are a part that can break rather easily. I believe there should be some lubricating grease between the cylinder and clutch fork too.

5 lug on the 6th Gen is easy. As simple as finding a V6 model and pulling off the front and rear knuckles, and swapping.