Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Slight ticking noise from my motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2002, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slight ticking noise from my motor

when the weather is cold and i have the radio off, i can hear a slight ticking noise coming from the engine bay. im pretty sure its not the valves, so could be just 'noisy' fuel injectors(i know some integras have this problem)? this even happens when the car is at normal operating temp but the weather is just cold outside.

Old 10-15-2002, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Slight ticking noise from my motor (Razor)

you might be hearing the exhaust system(heat shield, etc) stretching out. metal stretches when it gets real hot and it makes that ticking noise even when you shut off the car coz the metal is going back to its normal position.....

learned it from school
thank you lincoln tech

hope this help
Old 10-15-2002, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Slight ticking noise from my motor (shifthard)

no its like a constant ticking noise. the ticking/clicking rate increases as i increase throttle, it has to do something with the engine itself. anyone know?
Old 10-15-2002, 08:30 AM

I heard it on mine as well this morning. It is loud enough to be heard inside the car. I know that Honda engines in general have this ticking noise, but I noticed mine is louder lately...

I used to have thesame noise in my Corolla, but it was not as loud as this one. The one on the corolla was just the fuel injectors...but it was not loud enough to be heard from inside the car.
Old 10-15-2002, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Slight ticking noise from my motor (ExAcc)

hmm so you think the fuel injectors can get so loud that we can hear through the firewall? anyone else have this problem? i am 100% positive that some gsr's do this b/c of noisy injectors.
Old 10-15-2002, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

prolly need a valve adjustment.
Old 10-15-2002, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Slight ticking noise from my motor (ExAcc)

after i took my 95 accord in for a recall, the engine's been really loud and ticking like crazy...

the dealership screwed up the first time and misaligned a cam or something....they fixed it, but the engine is noisy now.

could be a valve adjustment is needed, or the cam gears/shafts need to be recalibrated
Old 10-15-2002, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The ticking noise that you are probaly hearing is something that is completely normal in honda's. This is my second honda that i have owned and it makes a clicking noise which sounds like it is the valves. But anyways all of my friends have honda's from the typical civic to the big, bad accord. I wouldn't worry about it unless the ticking gets louder than it has been.
Old 10-15-2002, 03:39 PM

Default Re: Slight ticking noise from my motor (EuRoBrO)

mine does it too... it quiets down later on when the engine is warm
Old 10-15-2002, 03:46 PM

Default Re: Slight ticking noise from my motor (The_In_Kid)

there should be no tick. in most cases its the valves that need adjusting, it normally doesnt hurt anything so people mistake it for "normal." If it goes on for too long you can end up with burnt valves, which means a loss in power and an even louder tick. Mis-firing can happen later down the road and even a blown motor. Fix it now.

EDIT: this should only be considered a problem if the ticking continues when the car reaches normal operating temps.

[Modified by uglyhybridcrx, 6:48 PM 10/15/2002]
Old 10-15-2002, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Slight ticking noise from my motor (uglyhybridcrx)

wait, so how do we fix it? My 94 LX started a few months ago and can now be heard clearly outside the car... ...I did a valve check myself, everything was fine, took it in and paid a dealership 80 bones to tell me what I already knew, had them listen to the engine ticking and I got pissed at the guy beause he acted like he didnt care unless I coughed up more for him to "check it out".
Anyway, so is it the injectors? If the valve clearances are fine, what could you do to "fix it" replace injectors? As mentioned above, I gues it also could be an unbalance in the valve train, mabe a loose rocker arm??

thanks, sohc

EDIT: and another interesting thing is that it was doing it while it was still hot outside, and continues even when up to temp...

[Modified by SOHCMAN, 1:00 AM 10/16/2002]
Old 10-15-2002, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Slight ticking noise from my motor (SOHCMAN)

yeah if someone could just assure me that its just noisy injectors, then im fine with it. the noise doesn't really bother me, im just concerned about it.
Old 10-15-2002, 09:39 PM

there should be no tick. in most cases its the valves that need adjusting, it normally doesnt hurt anything so people mistake it for "normal." If it goes on for too long you can end up with burnt valves, which means a loss in power and an even louder tick. Mis-firing can happen later down the road and even a blown motor. Fix it now.

EDIT: this should only be considered a problem if the ticking continues when the car reaches normal operating temps.
It is perfectly normal for his car. My 95 has a faint tick to it. When you let off the accel, it goes away, and does not get louder with harder acceleration. My timing is perfect, and my motor is perfectly fine. I'm in with everyone saying it's the injectors. I've heard injectors get pretty loud sometimes.
Old 10-15-2002, 11:16 PM

Constant ticking from the engine is your valve lifters. This is something you want to fix. Hopefully they can be adjusted rather than replaced. Have a mechanic you trust take a look at it. In the mean time make sure you keep the oil changed and lay off the hard acceleration.
Old 10-16-2002, 02:57 AM

Default Re: Slight ticking noise from my motor (GEN5CPE)

injectors do make noise, in most cases they are allmost unnoticeable over the engine. Remember that if the noise is, in fact, the injectors, you should hear 4 ticks for every RPM. Same for the spark plugs.

another possible cause for the tick is weak valve springs. you should not be able to compress your valve springs by hand. if a valve spring is weak, the valve does not fully close at the right time (its not following the cam lobe correctly)- another issue that should be resolved.
Old 10-16-2002, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmmmmmm, now to find a mechanic i truuuuuuusttttt.....hmmmmmm
thanks for the info!

sohc
Old 10-18-2002, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone with a non-vtec or vtec accord will have this sound....honda has a nickname for that engine "the sewing machine". that slight ticking noise is just what the engine does...you'll never get rid of it unless you over adjust the valves thus getting rid of the sound and also get horrible gas mileage....(trust me thats what I tired)

[Modified by cam0693, 2:54 PM 10/18/2002]
Old 10-18-2002, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Slight ticking noise from my motor (cam0693)

When you say over adjust, you mean taking it to the smallest allowable clearance or like actually tightening therocker arms so they are touching or maybe even pushing the valve open a bit...?
I can see how that might give horrible efficiency if what I am thinking is correct, that would be like running an engine with a hole in the cylinder wall.

sohc
Old 03-28-2017, 07:44 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Slight ticking noise from my motor (The_In_Kid)

Originally Posted by uglyhybridcrx

thanks for the info I have the same problem will fix asap thanks to u I didn't think it was that important
Old 03-29-2017, 08:20 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Slight ticking noise from my motor

The car is 23 years old. It's going to make noise.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Slight ticking noise from my motor

It is a 20+ year old car with a solid lifter cam. Solid lifter cams are always going to make more noise than hydraulic. Just the nature of it. Proper maintenance keeps that noise to a minimum.