Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Side glass mirror fell off... can I put it back in?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side glass mirror fell off... can I put it back in?

Hey everyone, this is my first time posting (didn't even know this place existed until I searched it today)...

My problem is that someone hit the passenger side mirror in my parking lot. The mirror casing is completely intact... the only problem apparently is that the actual mirror piece fell off. Because the mirror piece is not cracked and looks perfectly fine, I'm wondering if there's a way to simply place it back into the casing.

I've tried to simply "push" the mirror piece back into the casing, but that didn't work. I have very little knowledge about car mechanics, so any help would be appreciated. Sorry and thanks!
Old 12-13-2005, 04:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Side glass mirror fell off... can I put it back in? (urkelabc)

If its just the glass mirror piece that needs to be attached to the backing plate use some clear silicone and "glue" it back into place. The silicone is not affected by heat or cold and the glass will stay in place for ever.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:32 AM
In a Junkyard near you.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well if we knew what kind of accord you have it would help. but MOST Honda mirrors just snap in. If you have the plastic piece attached to the back of the glass you may be able to snap it back in. Spray a little silicone spray on it to help you out.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:51 AM

Default Re: (MooGoCow3)

Thanks guys for the responses, I definitely appreciate it

The car is a Honda Accord EX 2004.

I want to see if I can fix the glass mirror so that I can control it's movement using that button inside my car (that you use to control side mirrors). Not THAT big of a deal since I never really change the angle of the mirrors anyway, but just wanted to see if it's possible to maintain the controls. What do you guys think?

If I can't maintain the inside controls, I'll try to snap it back in or use silicone as suggested.

here are pictures of the problem:

casing: http://www.dailybred.net/pics/IMG_0304.JPG

mirror front: http://www.dailybred.net/pics/IMG_0305.JPG

mirror back: http://www.dailybred.net/pics/IMG_0307.JPG

Old 12-13-2005, 08:58 AM
In a Junkyard near you.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry you gotta but a mirror assembely. The plastic ***** (the white peices) broke off on the glass. No way to fix that. Look on Ebay
Old 12-13-2005, 04:42 PM

Default Re: (MooGoCow3)

yikes! okay, thanks

I'm going to silicone glue the mirror back for now, I guess I should stop being picky and just feel lucky that the problem isn't worse. Any specific glue brand I should look for at Lowe's?

For future reference, if I DO decide to buy a new assembly, are there instructions available on how to replace the whole mirror assembly? I've searched through the forums, and all I could find were single diagrams that didn't specifically give instructions. If worse comes to worse, I can find someone to help, but I want to see if I can do this myself one day without bugging anyone (besides you guys hehe)

thanks
Old 12-13-2005, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (urkelabc)

look for automotive window weld by 3m, make sure you let it settle before driving it hard
Old 12-13-2005, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You should get a service manual for your car. Helm is the best (more expensive too) but auto parts stores have some that are much cheaper. You can learn a lot about your car, and it can pay for itself, with the money you save on repairs and maintenance you do yourself (because you will have the information you need). You can order the manual online (if the helm manual is what you want). I got mine for my 03 from handaaccessories.com, but check the Helm web site, it may be even cheaper there.

http://www.handa-accessories.com/accord03.html
Old 12-13-2005, 08:51 PM

Default Re: (BLKFLSH)

BLKFLSH,

Regarding the Service Manual, is this the one you got?

http://www.handa-accessories.c...6.jpg

Would the manual help me fix specific problems such as the broken mirror?

Thanks everyone, all of your responses have definitely helped. This has motivated me to finally learn how my car actually works
Old 12-13-2005, 09:14 PM

yes, i would definitely buy the service manual since you will need it for future maintenance. i had the same problem you encountered except my whole mirror was cracked so i had to replace the actual mirror, but the casing was still intact. all you need to do is carefully position the two white joints in the correct position and snap it back in. it took me about a day to figure it out. good luck!
Old 11-28-2023, 03:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Side glass mirror fell off... can I put it back in?

To piggy back off this thread, I have the same problem happening on my 2001 Honda Accord Coupe, but I am not sure where I need to place the silcon glue, if at all. Nothing on the mirror backing or the base casing look damaged, but please correct me if i'm wrong.
How exactly/method do I attach this particular version of the glass to the case?

(I've circled what i believe are the connections points)
Base Casing:

Mirror Front;

Mirror Back:

Any feedback is appreciated as I am not a car person