Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Sheared Axle ***Needs Feedback STAT***

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sheared Axle ***Needs Feedback STAT***

Okay fellas, I would really appreciate some input/feedback in real-time if possible? First, have ANY of you sheared an axle or broken an axle and if so which side? How did you fix it? etc...etc... My particular situation is on the driver's side which on a 5sp connects to the intermediate shaft and then into the trans. Well my problem is that the splined portion of the axle which connects INTO the intermediate shaft has sheared completely off INSIDE the intermediate shaft. Now, for those of you familiar with these specific parts, the splined portion which is stuck in the IM-shaft has a snap ring on the end so it's not the kind of thing I can just grab with pliers and yank it out. As far as I can tell there's no damage to the IM shaft so I'd like to avoid replacing it if at all possible, Plus NOBODY keeps those in stock... Axles, all day, at just about every parts store, but the IM shaft.... Forget about it. So my big question is how should I go about pulling this piece out of the IM shaft? Any/all input and/or feedback will be greatly appreciated and THANK YOU in advance to anyone that can offer up some help. (Don't mind my cheapo oil filter... it's temporary)
Attached Images      
Old 09-27-2016, 10:52 AM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Re: Sheared Axle ***Needs Feedback STAT***

Yank the intermediate shaft and stick it in a vise.
Center of the axle is usually softer than the outer shell.
Drill and tap the busted stub to allow for a large/long enough bolt to yank the stub out.
Careful when tapping, the hardness of the axle will vary the closer you get to the outer surface, fairly easy to snap a tap.

I've had the outer stub snap off, root cause is from the axle left to dangle(with no support). Weight of the axle will stress the base of where the stub attaches to the CV cup.

Or stop doing Bionic Clutch Dumps.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or, just pick up a replacement intermediate shaft and axle. Looks like the bearing on that one is leaking anyway.

-Amp
Old 09-27-2016, 10:50 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Depending on what car you have, these things are a dime a dozen at the junkyard.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you have a welder you could weld a stud onto the broken axle to give you something to grab onto, then slide hammer?
Old 09-28-2016, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MAD_MIKE
Yank the intermediate shaft and stick it in a vise.
Center of the axle is usually softer than the outer shell.
Drill and tap the busted stub to allow for a large/long enough bolt to yank the stub out.
Careful when tapping, the hardness of the axle will vary the closer you get to the outer surface, fairly easy to snap a tap.

I've had the outer stub snap off, root cause is from the axle left to dangle(with no support). Weight of the axle will stress the base of where the stub attaches to the CV cup.

Or stop doing Bionic Clutch Dumps.
Of course Mike it'd be you that wound up describing the EXACT things I did almost to the letter! lol! So 1st being the dumbass I am I tried to drill and tap it while still on the car, and broke my tap off halfway into the damn thing! Then of course the tap metal was too hard for my standard drill bit and I didn't have any carbides on hand so I finally got the GREAT IDEA to take it off the car!... and put it in the vise, where the debacle continued. Long story short though, I got it out and didn't need to replace the half-shaft. I got such a kick out of reading your reply just now though LMAO! Thx bro

Originally Posted by SIR-G Amp
Or, just pick up a replacement intermediate shaft and axle. Looks like the bearing on that one is leaking anyway.
-Amp
Nobody keeps intermediate/half-shafts in stock and most auto-parts stores don't even know wtf it is. Honda tried to bend me over their sales desk and I just didn't have the time to wait for an online order to get delivered. But thx for the reply

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
Depending on what car you have, these things are a dime a dozen at the junkyard.
This is so true... But all the "u-pull-it's" around my way have the cars elevated and without a pretty badass cordless impact gun (Snap-on for example) there no way you're getting the axle nut off with the wheels in the air...? At least that was my thought? I don't know any tricks to immobilize the axle in order to crack the nut with a breaker bar other than having the wheels down? If you know one plz lmk though, because I will be on the hunt soon for some Prelude axles and half-shaft ( I hear they can handle a ish-LOAD of torque). Thx for the reply

Originally Posted by masospaghetti
If you have a welder you could weld a stud onto the broken axle to give you something to grab onto, then slide hammer?
I do have one and this was going to be my absolute last resort just because of the whole HEAT thing, the piece that broke off was already twisted pretty tightly inside the half-shaft and I was concerned that if I over-heated it and warped it, even a little bit, that it may have become wedged in there permanently!? Good idea though...Thx for the reply
Old 09-29-2016, 12:01 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LeeMajors19082
This is so true... But all the "u-pull-it's" around my way have the cars elevated and without a pretty badass cordless impact gun (Snap-on for example) there no way you're getting the axle nut off with the wheels in the air...? At least that was my thought? I don't know any tricks to immobilize the axle in order to crack the nut with a breaker bar other than having the wheels down? If you know one plz lmk though, because I will be on the hunt soon for some Prelude axles and half-shaft ( I hear they can handle a ish-LOAD of torque). Thx for the reply
All you do is take an allen wrench and stick it into the brake caliper where the rotor fins are. It will immobilize it by not allowing the rotor(hub) to move so you can take off the axle nut.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
All you do is take an allen wrench and stick it into the brake caliper where the rotor fins are. It will immobilize it by not allowing the rotor(hub) to move so you can take off the axle nut.
OMG...... THAT'S FKN GENIUS!!!!!! Am I the only ******* on earth that didn't know that?! That's SO SIMPLE! I feel like a COMPLETE MORON right now...smh...
I FKN LOVE YOU MANNY!!!! THANK YOU!
Old 10-03-2016, 05:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you decide you need new axles and intermediate shaft, PM me, I have a Prelude intermediate shaft and matching CV shafts, good used condition, the shafts are OE Honda (not aftermarket).