Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Starter Crapping Out After Trans Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Crapping Out After Trans Install

My starter was in perfect shape but after my trans install it has been acting weird.. Sometimes it starts only on the 2nd key turn perfectly, sometimes the first and now its like if I hold the key you will slowly here it come to life and start. Its not dead just acting weird..

The garage that just did my oil said that you have to screw it down one side at a time or it would act up if you bolted one side in the other. I never really knew this but is it true? Its not a connection issue but def the starter.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Starter Crapping Out After Trans Install

So, you know for a fact that there is no voltage drop in the cables or the connections? There really is no other reason for this than a coincidence that the starter is just worn out.

It's a good idea to torque things sequencially. But, I don't think tighening one side and then the other is the problem.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OK- so the pos wouldnt start now at all now that it got cold. I pop the hood and its a pile off ashes... Thing is incinerated, hope its not a pain in the *** to install the new one. It seems like you have to dismantle the whole engine bay with everything on these cars..
Old 11-18-2011, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When I did my transmission work, the starter was one of the first things out, and one of the last things in. It was really simple to remove/install; a nut or two for the wires, and two bolts holding it to the transmission clutch housing; piece of cake.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:23 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by nghtshd88
It seems like you have to dismantle the whole engine bay with everything on these cars..
The only thing that is in the way is the air intake tubing, and on the transmission mount(on the '95(F22B1/AT) EX anyway) a small bracket that somewhat interferes with its removal.
The shop was talking out of their cornhole regarding bolt down procedure, you put the starter on the transmission, install the two bolts and torque them down. This isn't a Chevy that needs shims.
An easy way to directly test the starter. Make sure its properly bolted in place, the cables from the positive terminal is tight(disconnect the battery before checking) on the starter. With the transmission in Park or Neutral, place a jumper wire from the main terminal from the battery to the solenoid terminal. If the battery and cables are fine, the starter should activate. If not then there may be an issue with the starter motor.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Put the starter in and boom the freakin car wont stay on. In fact it will jerk and misfire like hell until it just stalls..
Old 11-20-2011, 12:41 AM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by nghtshd88
Put the starter in and boom the freakin car wont stay on. In fact it will jerk and misfire like hell until it just stalls..
Are you saying the starter is sticking/staying on after the key is released?
Old 11-20-2011, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't think so.. I got the car to start a few times but when its on it literally sounds and feels like the motor just blew up. Just imagine the ultimate misfire... Is it possible to much fuel got pushed into it by holding the key in the start position with my old starter? I would have to hold it 5 secs and the old starter would slowly kick in.. Of course that melted the freakin solenoid on it...but i realized the old one was completely dead I held the key in the start position for about 10 secs hoping it would slowly kick in, of course it didn't but by doing that would it have friend something else or pushed a lot of fuel in?
Old 11-20-2011, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the ground cable bolted to the trans?
Old 11-21-2011, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Closely inspect all wiring in the area of the starter and all around the tranny. If the solenoid literally burned up like you said, it sounds like you have a short. Maybe wiring got pinched between the tranny and block or something. Just holding the key on for 5 seconds won't turn anything into a "pile of ashes".