Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Seafoam Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seafoam Question

i had my engine running and then i removed the vacuum line from the master cylinder; i then poured in about 1/3 of the bottle in but took my time. about 20 minutes later, i fired it up but i didnt get a lot of smoke. im at 165,000k miles and have never done it before.

i done the same for my tacoma but i let the engine sit for about 8 minutes and there was a ton of smoke.

my question is, did i let the engine sit too long on the accord? if so, is that bad?
Old 03-30-2008, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Seafoam Question (dleccord)

I'm not sure why it didnt smoke. Are you sure the vaccum line went directly to the intake manifold, thus, leading to the engine? Or did the line go somewhere else? You have a better chance using the vaccum line that runs from the Brake Booster to the intake mani. Im running at 93k miles & it smoked a bunch.

PS, i used the vaccum like from the brake booster to the intake mani. Try that.

About the time you let it sit: It doesnt matter. The longer it sits, the more effective. Some people let it sit all night. I let it sit for about 10 mins.

Good luck
Old 03-30-2008, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the only line i ever use is the one that connects the brake booster ( i thought it was the master cylinder) to the intake mani. so yeah thats how i did mines. maybe i should pour half a bottle?

also, how do i get access to the engines' crankcase? through the oil cap?
Old 03-30-2008, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dleccord)

Hm. I have no idea as to why there wasnt a fat cloud of smoke. Just forget about it, and claim that its because its a Honda. Guess you dont have a lot of carbon build up..

Crankcase...Youre ganna have to ask someone else about that.. Or post a new thread, because its off subject & the mods are going to lock it.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:24 PM

Mine smoked a bit, but not horribly either...and it has 174K. Maybe it was a clean motor?

You can access the crankcase by pouring the Seafoam through the oil filler cap. Remember to change your oil afterwards though.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tpot90)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by not-a-stang &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Mine smoked a bit, but not horribly either...and it has 174K. Maybe it was a clean motor?

You can access the crankcase by pouring the Seafoam through the oil filler cap. Remember to change your oil afterwards though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Seafoam's direction said it could be used inside the crankcase so that's why i asked.

As to why it didnt smoke a lot, maybe its because I use that fuel injector cleaner monthly?
Old 03-31-2008, 03:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you hear the engine vacume pulling in the sea foam? If not, you werent using a line that goes into the intake manifold. Your idle speed will also go wacky because you have introdeced a leak to the intake system.

***Make sure the car is at FULL operating temp before applying seafoam***

You can either use the large line going out the rear of the manifold, the PCV line running from your valve cover to your manifold, or you can put the seafoam in a spray bottle and spray directly into the throttle body with the intake snorkel (large black rubber tube) off.

After you're done, turn off the car and make sure any lines are reinstalled to how they were. Wait 10 min to over night as others have mentioned, start and warm up the car, then go blast around to blow everything out of the engine, it will usually smoke...

Even if you don't put it in your oil, you will probably notice your oil get darker and it might be a good idea to change it.

good luck
sohc
Old 03-31-2008, 05:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SOHCMAN)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHCMAN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did you hear the engine vacume pulling in the sea foam? If not, you werent using a line that goes into the intake manifold. Your idle speed will also go wacky because you have introdeced a leak to the intake system.

***Make sure the car is at FULL operating temp before applying seafoam***

You can either use the large line going out the rear of the manifold, the PCV line running from your valve cover to your manifold, or you can put the seafoam in a spray bottle and spray directly into the throttle body with the intake snorkel (large black rubber tube) off.

After you're done, turn off the car and make sure any lines are reinstalled to how they were. Wait 10 min to over night as others have mentioned, start and warm up the car, then go blast around to blow everything out of the engine, it will usually smoke...

Even if you don't put it in your oil, you will probably notice your oil get darker and it might be a good idea to change it.

good luck
sohc</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah my engine wasnt really warmed up. as soon as i removed the vacuum line, the engine idle fluctuates, if you will. on my dads camry, i could tell that the engine was about to die but on the accord, it didnt seem to die, but it did struggle when i was trying to pour it in.

i have seen it other ways too. i think i saw this one guy had seafoam in a clear cup and it stuck the entire tube into the cup, instead of pouring the seafoam in, he let the sucking do the work.

does that work or will something bad happen?
Old 03-31-2008, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how exactly do you do seafoam? my 2002 accord is running alittle rough and wanted to try this out. Is it as simple as taking the vaccum hose taht goes to the brake booster to the intake manifold and pouring seafoam in it? HOw long do you let the car run?
Old 03-31-2008, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

most cars the same but dont quote me:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Za-b4wufsvg
Old 03-31-2008, 06:22 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (swollen_cu)

just go to an AutoZone, NAPA or where ever and read the instructions on the can