Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Rim Sizes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 04:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rim Sizes?

I have 18" rims on my car right now... i've heard of people complaining about the size of their rims as being the cause of higher/lower e/t's etc. I can understand how maybe the increase in size would increase the amount of time it takes the wheel to make 1 revolution, is that the reason why people go smaller or is it something else as well?

What do you all suggest for rim sizing? I'm more into the show prospect of things but would 16-17's make that big of a difference at the strip?
Old 11-03-2003, 04:41 AM
amin n'rangwa edanea

Default Re: Rim Sizes? (TypeRKoncepts)

it's not so much size as weight that makes a difference. unless you're willing to slap some super light 14" racing rims on your accord dont worry about it, cuz your not gonna see a noticable difference otherwise. just get a good set of tires and use a lower tire pressure at the strip.
Old 11-03-2003, 04:14 PM

Default Re: Rim Sizes? (TypeRKoncepts)

bigger rims means more surface area on the pavement- more sticky to the road. thats why when you race, you use smaller rims.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:29 PM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Rim Sizes? (fluxion)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fluxion &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it's not so much size as weight that makes a difference. unless you're willing to slap some super light 14" racing rims on your accord dont worry about it, cuz your not gonna see a noticable difference otherwise. just get a good set of tires and use a lower tire pressure at the strip.</TD></TR></TABLE>

this isn't entirely true...i have a set of 17" wheels which weigh a little more than 16 pounds...my car is still slower with these than it is with the stock wheels...why is because of the diameter of the wheel, along with the rotating mass...by putting a larger diameter tire/wheel combo on your car, you are essentially creating a longer final drive ratio, thus making your gearing longer and essentially slowing your acceleration time down...sure 18" wheels are heavier than 17" wheels, but that is not the main reason that they are so slow (ruling out the chrome and heavy show wheels of course)
Old 11-03-2003, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Rim Sizes? (JDMautoworks)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMautoworks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bigger rims means more surface area on the pavement- more sticky to the road. thats why when you race, you use smaller rims.</TD></TR></TABLE>

no and no

there's diameter and width of the rims.

you can get a 18x7 with the same ground contact with 15x7.

and what kind of race you talking about?? autocross? drag?

in autox or road race you want maximun road contact but weight of the rims and rotational mass is another big BIG issue.

in drag, slick only offer in smaller rims diameter so go figure.