Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Replacing motor mounts on 96 Accord LX - questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replacing motor mounts on 96 Accord LX - questions

With the vibrations I have at idle and particularly when running AC at idle, I am going to try and replace the motor mounts that need it.

The mount at the front of the car is definitely broken,

I cant get a good look at the rear mount to see how bad it may be, so I was planning to replace the front for now and see if it gets better. This is an automatic so I think it gets tricky with that rear mount.

I found the OEM part here

http://www.tasauto.com/Product/Detai...0841&d=340&p=1

and rock auto has a few from Anchor which looks odd, doesnt have any rubber on it
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...475&cc=1167410

and Beck Arnley
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...523&cc=1167410

Is it best to go OEM on this?

Also, in order to change this I will need to jack the engine up.
Do I need to disconnect anything prior to raising the engine?
How much should I raise the engine?
Where is the best place to place the floor jack to the engine to raise it?

I have ramps so I was going to drive the car up onto those.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Replacing motor mounts on 96 Accord LX - questions

Just use a floor jack and some pliewood to lift the motor up via the pan. The front is simple, you may have to take off the intake manifold or have a lot of patience with the rear. I personally ALWAYS go OEM, but the general replacement should be fine. Keep in mind you will need the vacuum assisted motor mount if its an automatic.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FYI, it's a B*tch to do the front mount with the stock fans/shrouds in place. You can hardly access the lower passenger side screw that holds the shroud/fan on the passenger side from the top; I didn't try from the bottom. you shouldn't need to jack the engine up, just remove the bolt that goes through the mount first, then the three that hold the engine mount to the block. You may have to remove the passenger side fan/shroud to access the through-bolt, which is where I got stuck. If you have to jack up the engine, more than likely, your other mounts are toast, too.

I'd go junkyard shopping before pulling the trigger on a brand new one. And if that fails, I'd just toss in a mount insert to hold it together, they're only about $20, although you'll feel some vibrations due to the insert's nature.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had mine done in about 5 mins by a backyard mechanic ( lacking most of the tools to do it myself without a 90 mi drive to my parents house) front mount also 96LX auto. He had to unplug the front o2 sensor and that was it. just took the weight off by putting a jack under the oil pan, unbolted the bracket and pulled the mount out, popped the new one in and rebolted everything. my car's all stock and he didnt seem to have much trouble other than the part where like everything else on my car the bolts were somewhat corroded and frozen.

I went OEM, I don't see why not to. I had a thread asking people's opinions on that same question a while back. Ultimately it's up to you but you can't go wrong with OEM at least and I didn't figure it was worth risking. (Thread is here ) edit: for some reason I thought I had more answers on that thread, I just went and looked at it again and only one person answered me. lol oh well