Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Anyone change their own coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone change their own coolant?

So I checked the coolant in my 2000 Accord V6..the reserve is bone dry..lol..so i read the manual and it goes through it in some detail..anyone do this at home? I think ill save lots of $$$ by doing so...

Old 08-05-2007, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone change their own coolant? (Heracles)

do u want the easy way? or the right way? The easy way is to make sure your engines cold, take off the radiator cap slowly, theres a lower radiator hose that connects to the bottom of the radiator, use pliers to move the hose ring/clamp back and pull the lower radiator hose off, get ready to get wet, , anyways when done draining, connect hose up to radiator, the parts store has a funnel kit that will fit your raidator cap to fill the radiator back up. use 50/50 mix to fill radiator back up but open up the bleeder valve. it should be at the end of the upper radiatior hose connected to your engine side, looks like the bleeder valve on your brake calipers or even the slave cylinder on a maual tranny, anyways open the valve up. Next Fill up your radiator with your 50/50 mix all the way up to the top unitl it doesnt take anymore by this time the fluid should be coming out of the bleeder valve, once you see no bubbles coming out tighten the bleeder valve, Turn your engine on with the heater full blast, now rev up your engine for awhile until your engine fan comes on, your temperature gauge should be around the normal range, and the coolant level should go down, fill it up again, and the reservior. Thats it , check for leaks around the lower radiator hose.
decided since im the noob i would type this up and save everyone the hand cramps,
Old 08-05-2007, 01:13 PM
Banned

here is what i do, it may not be orthodox but its never failed and i wouldnt let a shop do a coolant flush if you paid me. anyway:

1. take teh rad cap off
2. open the petcock on the bottom of the rad and let that beast start draining
3. take the upper hose off the radiator side
4. take the lower hose off the radiator side
5. buy some distilled water NOT FRIGGIN HOSE WATER OR TAP YO!
6. pour the distilled water down the upper hose and let it run out the bottom hose all over your driveway.
7. pour some distilled water in the radiator and let it drain all over your driveway as well.

keep repeating 6 and 7 until you dont see any debris or color to the "sewage" draining out of the motor and the radiator. when this is done you will need to reconnect the hoses to their orig locations and fill your radiator with the desired coolant/water mix. i use 100% distilled water but i never drive my car in teh winter. if this car is a daily driver, i would do a 50/50 mix.

important! a lot of people will say that you can or cant use certain color coolants. the fact of the matter is that you can use whatever you want, conventional or GM dexcool. what you DONT want to do is mix them together because they break down a lot faster when they are mixed.

check this link out as well(howstuffworks) they tell you a lot about coolant and different mixtures and boiling and freezing points etc. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cooling-system3.htm
Old 08-05-2007, 02:25 PM

Thanks guys, althoug I dont think the V6 has a bleeder valve..just the 4 cyl..
Old 08-05-2007, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i wasnt sure on that part but incase it did