Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Removing the Crank Pulley Bolt

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Removing the Crank Pulley Bolt

Originally Posted by st0xafella
DUDE GRAB A VISE GRIP PUT IT TIGHT!!! ON THE PULLEY SO WHEN IT TURNS IT GETS STUCK AND WONT MOVE THE PULLEY..THE GRAB A LONG EXTENSION BOUT 2 FEET AND TURN THAT BAD BOY OUT..I DID IT LIKE THIS LAST WEEK...IMPACT GUN IS FOR SUCKERS!!
s believers in nmpact guns work smarter not harder. when i get to a pulley bolt, i need only 4 tools. my impact, soccket, breaker bar and pulley holder. that bolt comes off in less than 30 seconds. you brobably spend that adjusting your vice grips. and then you have to do physical labor trying to get the bolt to break lose
Old 03-25-2010, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BobS95v6
Is this the same tool? I'm in process of changing timing belt/water pump on a '95 v6 and I don't want to wait on Amazon shipping.

Autozone - OEM / Honda harmonic balancer holding tool - Part Number: 27176
yeah thats the same tool. i have never seen it at autozone here in my area but thanks for the part number for it through them. that is an autozone part number and brand. i guess i go there too much if i know their part numbers huh?
Old 03-25-2010, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMPACT GUN DIDNT WORK FOR ME I USE IT ALL THE TIME BUT FOR THIS BOLT IT JUST DID NOT WORK AT ALL..IM JUST SAYING THATS HOW I TOOK MINE OUT IT WAS HARD BUT IT DID THE JOB AND DIDNT DAMAGE MY PULLEY..
Old 03-25-2010, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

this is the most drawn out thread for a simple question.

1. buy pulley holder.
2. crack the bolt loose with a breaker bar.

/thread
Old 03-25-2010, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^he doesnt wanna spend the money
Old 03-25-2010, 09:28 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

DUDE GRAB A VISE GRIP PUT IT TIGHT!!! ON THE LIP OF THE PULLEY SO WHEN IT TURNS IT GETS STUCK AND WONT MOVE THE PULLEY..THEN GRAB A LONG EXTENSION BOUT 3 FEET AND A BREAKER BAR OR 1/2 WRENCH AND A LONG PIPE/TUBE FOR LEVERAGE TURN THAT BAD BOY OUT..I DID IT LIKE THIS LAST WEEK...IMPACT GUN IS FOR SUCKERS!!
I can't see vise-grip pliers holding the crankshaft pulley in place to break the that bolt free. Even if you did, it would probably tear up the lip of the pulley getting it to bite enough to hold against all that force.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TouringAccord
umm... you may want to take a look at that Honda manual again. Because in mine it shows to use the pulley holding tool and lists a Honda part number. To me, the bolt you are describing sounds like the maintenance bolt you remove to align/hold the rear balance shaft in place when changing the belts, not something you use when trying to hold the crank in place while loosening the pulley bolt.
Absolutely right in Haynes Manual its written to use crank pulley holding tool with the part number I agreeeeeee with you !

BobS95v6

How much is the price on Autozone???
Old 03-25-2010, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Autozone $35.99

You probably have to order it. The knuckle heads here had no idea what it waas.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^he doesnt wanna spend the money
Nah Boss!!! I started this thread just to ask that can I open the bolt by cranking the car also on Amazon its 24.99 I m ready to pay as its really cheap only thing hampering me is $0.01 as Free shipping starts at $25

I will buy the tool probably from Amazon or autozone and will post you update regarding about my experience with the T/B job as TouringAccord is the MAN!!! excellent write up and awesome step by step approach.

Lets see how i will figure it out in my case if I need any help during that job I will post the answers thanks for all of yours help, input and feedback.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I can't see vise-grip pliers holding the crankshaft pulley in place to break the that bolt free. Even if you did, it would probably tear up the lip of the pulley getting it to bite enough to hold against all that force.
once again it worked for me it didnt damage the pulley..i did this on my 96 civic which the water pump never got changed im pretty sure cuz it was completely rusted and it was an oem water pump and as so was the timing belt..car has 222,xxx mi on it.. im more then sure that bolt was never removed till removed it....if kid wants to try good if not then i just tried helping him on saving time and money...worked great for me..
Old 03-25-2010, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Autozone $35.99

You probably have to order it. The knuckle heads here had no idea what it waas.
You are right I just checked last night in my local autozone they said they do not carry it.

Then amazon is the best option!!
Old 03-25-2010, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if i would of know they sold that at autozone i would of got it..but i didnt have a clue and didnt want to wait for it to be shipped..
Old 03-25-2010, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

IMPACT GUN DIDNT WORK FOR ME I USE IT ALL THE TIME BUT FOR THIS BOLT IT JUST DID NOT WORK AT ALL..IM JUST SAYING THATS HOW I TOOK MINE OUT IT WAS HARD BUT IT DID THE JOB AND DIDNT DAMAGE MY PULLEY..
yeah one of my neighbors has a 3/4 inch impact and a good compressor but it cant even take off the large axle nuts. my 3/8 drive IR impact can get those loose but i only did it once tryin to see what it could do.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just called autozone, if I get there by 9:00 pm they'll have it tomorrow.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just called autozone, if I get there by 9:00 pm they'll have it tomorrow.
get to autozone then. i'm sure you can get there by 9 PM. its 11 AM here and 2 PM in the east coast
Old 03-25-2010, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RICKSAUTOMOTIVE
get to autozone then. i'm sure you can get there by 9 PM. its 11 AM here and 2 PM in the east coast

Bought it on Amazon!!

Waiting for weekend now
Old 03-25-2010, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by faran
Bought it on Amazon!!

Waiting for weekend now
why wait for the weekend? or is that when you get the tool? i'd be out there gettin ready for the delivery truck to arrive...you know, get it all apart to the point that you need the tool then open the tool and use it as soon as you get it. a timing belt should only take 4.5 hors or so. start to finish
Old 03-25-2010, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RICKSAUTOMOTIVE
why wait for the weekend? or is that when you get the tool? i'd be out there gettin ready for the delivery truck to arrive...you know, get it all apart to the point that you need the tool then open the tool and use it as soon as you get it. a timing belt should only take 4.5 hors or so. start to finish
Thanks for your response bro!

I will start working on it Sat will take apart every thing and on Sun morninng will start the T/B and water pump I have a big big plan for the project as I am planning to replace all Seals, Gaskets, Belts and W/P.

Lets see how long it will take me to achieve this project.

Thanks for all of your support, input and help.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:15 AM
H-T Order of Merit

once again it worked for me it didnt damage the pulley..i did this on my 96 civic which the water pump never got changed im pretty sure cuz it was completely rusted and it was an oem water pump and as so was the timing belt..car has 222,xxx mi on it.. im more then sure that bolt was never removed till removed it....if kid wants to try good if not then i just tried helping him on saving time and money...worked great for me..
keep in mind, the Civic has a different torque than the Accord. In the Civic, IIRC, you torque it to something like 80 ft/lbs then turn the bolt another 90* or whatever, it's been a while since I did a timing belt on the Civic. So it may not be torqued to the same amount as the Accord is which is 181 ft/lbs.

either way, I still would advise doing it that way, but to each their own I guess...
Old 03-26-2010, 07:17 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Originally Posted by faran
.... and will post you update regarding about my experience with the T/B job as TouringAccord is the MAN!!! excellent write up and awesome step by step approach.
lol, thanks
Old 03-26-2010, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

keep in mind, the Civic has a different torque than the Accord. In the Civic, IIRC, you torque it to something like 80 ft/lbs then turn the bolt another 90* or whatever, it's been a while since I did a timing belt on the Civic. So it may not be torqued to the same amount as the Accord is which is 181 ft/lbs.

either way, I still would advise doing it that way, but to each their own I guess...
Agreeeeeeeeeeed!

Civics and Accords both have different Torque specs and its relatively easier to budge on Civic rather on an Accord, probably after digging and from all the input right way is the Crank pulley holding Tool/Breaker bar without having Air tools else is just ...

So I bought the pulley holding tool
Old 03-26-2010, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol, thanks

I am not the only one saying this

Whole accord forum is telling the same story

I havent started the T/B job but approach and steps are quite self explanatory and straight forward luckily I have the same car, engine and model on which you worked.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:34 AM
H-T Order of Merit

well, thats why we are here, both to provide help and get help.

I'm happy that the work I put into the write-up is getting used and helping people out
Old 03-26-2010, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well, thats why we are here, both to provide help and get help.

I'm happy that the work I put into the write-up is getting used and helping people out
Surely this forum is itself really helpful all write-ups are I have learned from this forum a lot I started as a Moron

Now at least I am thinking to work on T/B probably I have learned something about my Baby Accord!!!
Old 03-26-2010, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got the Autozone Honda Harmonic Holder tonight. Got the 24" breaker bar in place. Got the front end up high enough to get a good angle and pulled. Heard a nice loud crack.

The only good thing about Sears is Craftsman tools. So, before I break another tool, on a 95 V6, does the crank pulley nut loosen in the counter clockwise direction?

Quick Reply: Removing the Crank Pulley Bolt