Random Electrical issues.... 1992 accord lx 2 door

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random Electrical issues.... 1992 accord lx 2 door

Got a bit of a head scratcher...

1992 honda accord lx - 2 door, 4 cylinder

first off, the moonroof and everything electrical worked late june when i picked the car up,, and being my first honda, i didn't know what to look for of course,, and being a noob, i bought the car because relatively low miles 172k, and paint clean, int clean, brand new pirrelli tires, under hood clean,, shifted a bit rough, but person bought from told me was because new tranny put in less than a week ago... well fast forward two months and the following has already been done,,,

valve job
engine flush
2 oil changes ( due to engine flush )
new wires
new cap * rotor
new dist. cap
new plugs
new therm
radiator flush
new cv boots front left and right
new motor mounts all the way around
added 2 bottles flluid from napa that basically turns dex2 into honda atf , per tranny shop
brand new main relay installed

now.. when doing tune up with honda cert tech, moonroof stopped working and tach,, loose wire in distributor cap and tach works,,, moon roof still not working...

a couple days ago installed stereo / beat in car, 2 amps ( 680 watt rms, and 300 watt rms ) sub new indoor speakers and deck.. everything working ok ( except moon roof ) - and now 2 days later, car horn doesnt work, antenna doesnt go up, (was working after deck install ) passenger window doesnt' work,- stuck up- have checked, is plugged in,, good connection, - can't shift car out of park without using shift lock key to shift, and rear brake lamp light is always on ( has been for a while ) - was told that it needs fluid flush, pretty murky and also told probably stuck sensor in resevoir...

my major issue is the moonroof and passenger window not rolling down, as well as shift release not working, I am not the best at electrical issues, i am going to the junkyard today to grab window switch to try that, but it seems odd that almost all of these issues followed the stereo change, but who knows, it just seems odd all these issues happen at once

I can't seem to find vehicle specific fuse diagram for under dash and under hood, as well as to be honest, dont really know how to troubleshoot even the basics,, i am a noob.. sorry, any help would be appreciated , my friend the honda master tech is unavailable for a while,,, and well.. i need help... any suggestions? specific links to diagrams,, maybe noob friendly info on how to actually troubleshoot, i do have access to a voltmeter and could get a fuse tester,, please and thank you!
Old 08-30-2012, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Random Electrical issues.... 1992 accord lx 2 door

also if anyone can tell me how to test relays?? and obviously where to find them? - i know,, i am slow and a noob , , thank you in advance for your patience!
Old 08-30-2012, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by captainhecubus

I can't seem to find vehicle specific fuse diagram for under dash and under hood
Hope this helps a little.

1991 Honda Accord fuse diagrams:

Under-dash
Name:  ZESmk.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  553.8 KB

Under hood
Name:  cFPnAh.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  119.0 KB
Old 08-30-2012, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a bit, but the plot thickens.... on my way home from salvage yard,, car decides to randomly stall,,, once,, starts back up... drive a few miles,., stalls when idle at light... wont turn back over for a few minutes... hmmm i know i know,,, the main relay... wrong changed it to a brand new one 2 weeks ago, ok...... turns over finally and wont stay running unless gas is being applied, hence e brake and rockin neutral a lot - get off freeway,,, stall again,,, sit in shade for a bit --- no signs of overheating... no indicators,, starts up again.. but wont stay started ... then sit for ten more,, start it and haul *** to fwy and same way home,, rock the gas neutral to stop being sure to keep tach above 1k - and when i get home and turn off,,, fires right back up... and stays running for a few minutes with no gas applied on its own....

not sure what is going on... still the other issues... ???? ===

HELP!
Old 08-30-2012, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also fuses checked and changed for good measure... no luck...
Old 08-30-2012, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To test a relay, you need a 12V source and an ohm-meter. On the relay there will be a diagram, and there should be four pins. The diagram will tell you which two pins are the solenoid pins and which two are for the switch. If you put your ohm meter across the switch the two points should be open, or O/L. Anyway, when you apply 12v to the solenoid, the coil will pull in and make up the switch(The other two pins). You should hear it click. If it doesnt click, or the switch doesnt pull in(Chick it with ohm-meter, it should read .1 Ohms) Then it is bad.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:52 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can use a 9v battery to apply voltage to a relay too, just to test it.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so check relays? which ones to be specific?? - and is there something that would cause the stallling? when idling... ?
Old 08-30-2012, 11:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and not always,, mostly at the heat of the day 2 to 6 ish pm
Old 08-31-2012, 12:11 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This does sound like main relay symptoms. If you haven't replaced your main relay before, just get another one since it will need to be replaced anyhow.

You can get these cheap from rockauto.com

If you want to test the relay ...

http://techauto.awardspace.com/mainrelay.html
Old 08-31-2012, 04:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i just purchased a new relay from oreilly's less than 3 weeks ago.. and installed, all has been fine since .... yesterday.... would the main relay cause the passenger window or the horn to stop functioning? or the shift sensor to stop working as of about a week ago??? - like i said i also had an alarm professionally installed a week ago, as well as installed a new deck sub and amp's - ???, and had the door panels off to replace the factory speakers...

i mean im sure its possible to be a bad relay, but how do i know? im pretty sure if it is a bad relay, once i open it up and check it out it will be null and void to try to exchange it.?? - either way I checked the relays under the hood they are fine?? -

1 - is there seperate relays inside the door for each window that I need to check?

2 - is it even likely for a brand main relay to be bad already?
Old 08-31-2012, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely suspect the alarm and system installed. DC electrical systems can be aggrivating. Try and find the common denominator, however, it is difficult with all these different systems. Do they all share a common ground location? Might be a place to start. You can get a good diagram and see if all share a common ground, and where this ground is.