Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Radio and keyless entry interface?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio and keyless entry interface?

Does anyone know if u can use the factory keyless entry with an aftermarket radio, this is in a 2000 accord i know in 98 on civics u have to use the factory radio or u will have a prob with the alarm and radio!!! Anyone know what i am talking about, i want to know if there is anythign special to do to make it so u can use an aftermarket radio and factory keyless entry, the prob is what about the alarm there is the light on the factory radio and i don't want to mess anything up. or really i jsut want to use the factory keylessand not have to keep part of the factory radio in the car?
Old 08-26-2005, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Radio and keyless entry interface? (pumafeet10)

They are seperate systems and do not interact. The security lamp on the oem Honda radios is a reminder of the security code programmed into the radio. Loose power, like disconnect the radio, and the radio will be rendered useless. It will nor operate without the code being re-entered.
You can install any aftermarket radio you want, but you have to make the security provisions yourself.

P
Old 08-27-2005, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Radio and keyless entry interface? (P_Adams)

i guess thats what i was asking i know the light is a reminder but wanted to know if there was something u had to do to make sure the alarm would still work properly like what would i have to do ??
Old 08-27-2005, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Unfortunately, the Honda Keyless Entry system has limited functionality with regards to it's alarm functions; and you can't add to it.
I've heard of some auto alarm systems which offer options that may help with your question; either a interior motion detector, or a glass sensor.
I know how irritating the prospects of installing something that the car already has can be, but it's the only way you'll get the functionality you want.

The irony of all this: leave the ho-hum Honda OEM radio in there, and nobody, but nobody will ever touch it. But put an aftermarket radio in there, and you'll have every shady character from 50 miles around trying to take it. I swear, those guys must network or something

P
Old 08-31-2005, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well for me its not for the issue of security but the use of the keyless entry and well i can't use the factory radio where is the fun in that, its just that i know someone who had to laeve their factory radio stashed in their car like in the dash for their aftermarkt one to work? i have no idea but i don't wantto totally disable the keyless? i know the alrm on these is pretty passive but damn i love that keyless
Old 08-31-2005, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What I've been trying to say (sorry if I prattle on too much) is: I believe the radio doesn't recieve it's power thru the keyless entry system nor does the keyless system have any way of knowing if the radio is present. (it's more an intrusion alarm)
I have seen no warnings to that effect in any of the audio mags I subscribe to, nor does Clutchfield mention anything in their installation packages. I believe the radio is fused seperately and should allow an aftermarket radio installation without effecting the R.E.S.

If you want a definitive answer, take a ride Saturday to one of your local Auto Audio stores (SoundFX, AutoSound Systems etc)( Even Best Buy installers may be able to answer) and pose your question. I'm quite sure they'll tell you the same.

P
Old 08-31-2005, 09:37 PM

On the Accord, you can definitly replace the radio without ANY effect on the keyless system. There were only a couple of years on Civic's that had the two integrated. On those years, the keyless system was built into the radio, and when people removed the radio, no keyless. Go ahead and put whatever radio in it you want.