Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

radio/climate display not lighting up

Old 11-09-2004, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio/climate display not lighting up

hi all, i have searched a found a few answers here before but never had to post. couldnt find anything about this problem.

my wife has an 03 accord ex with the 6 disc in dash cd changer and climate control so it has the big display screen with all that info. the backlight on it quit working. everything still works fine, radio, ac, everything, but you cant see the numbers. during the day, if you look at an angle, you can kinda see the reflection of the numbers, but at night nothing. all the buttons around the display screen relating to the radio and climate control dont light up either. my first thought was fuse but i couldnt find one that would be related and why would there be a seperate fuse for the radio and the radio lights? dash lights all work fine. any help? thanks!

ps - im used to working on my chevy trucks so this fancy honda stuff stumps me sometimes!
Old 11-09-2004, 01:27 PM
Hit the floor!

Default Re: radio/climate display not lighting up (haneym)

First of all check all fuses just to be sure.

Next, check the cluster behind for a loose wire or a broken wire.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:25 PM

call your dealer,there is an updated radio you need to get for that problem.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:46 AM

Default Re: radio/climate display not lighting up (bill-71SS)

all fuses are good. does anybody know (i dont have a wiring diagram for this car) if there is a seperate circuit for these lights? as i said before, everything else works fine. if i pull the interior lighting or radio fuses, that stuff doesnt work but it doesnt effect these lights.

bill, can you give me more info on that "updated" radio? is this a recall or known problem? we never got a recall notice and the car is now out of warranty. i called and asked the dealer and of course they wouldnt tell me anything, they just want to set up an appt. of course i am always leary of stealers and like to know as much as i can in case they try to take me for a ride. any info would be really appreciated. i know gm has TSBs (technical service bulletins) that arent necessarily recalls, but known problems and the fixs. if honda has something similar, at least i would know the problem and what to expect and hopefully not get raped. thanks guys
Old 11-11-2004, 07:42 AM

Here's a site to find recalls and TSB's...

http://www.alldata.com/recalls/

Looks like there are a couple recalls...make sure you get them all taken care of when you go. Print out the alldata sheet so they can't argue with you.

Modified by axhandler at 11:56 AM 11/11/2004
Old 11-11-2004, 01:47 PM

service bulletin #04-027,I will try to send it to you
Old 11-11-2004, 01:54 PM

I just sent you a copy of the bulletin,let me know if you get it. what dealer are you calling up there? I work at one in citrus county now for about 15 yrs,I can not believe they would not help you out,call honda customer service and tell them that.
Old 11-12-2004, 03:39 AM

bill, got the email and thanks! after doing some more searching online yesterday i found some other boards where people were having the same problem but no info on a tsb. i called and asked to speak directly to the service manager and he said he had seen the problem before and there was a tsb on it. i am bringing it in next week, only problem is since its out of warranty i have to try and get them to do a goodwill repair on it. thanks a lot for the pdf though, this way i know the specifics before i head to the dealer!

forgot to mention - steve lucas honda is the dealer we bought the car from and have used for all service. was turned off the other dealers in jax by their annoying pushy salesmen and had a salesman at lucas recommended to us. he was great and the purchase was smooth, but ive had several complaints about their service dept since then. i do all regular maintenance on the car myself but these things are so computerized now theres not much repair you can even do on em. thanks again.