Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Question about factory XM tuner/antenna and aftermarket radio

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 04:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about factory XM tuner/antenna and aftermarket radio

Hi, I have a 2005 Accord EX V6 and I'm looking to buy the Metra T2 dash kit (http://www.installer-data.com/...-7864). It will replace my factory radio with XM, built-in 6-disc CD changer as well as all the factory AC/heating controls. My question is this: Will I still be able to use the stock XM tuner and antenna that comes with the vehicle? If I get an aftermarket radio to go into the dash kit I'd hate to rewire everything in order to add another XM tuner and antenna. The XM antenna that comes with the vehicle is perfect, it sits on the rear of the roof and is body colored. Will all the connections be compatible with an aftermarket radio that is XM ready? I'm really skeptical about replacing everything. I just want to make sure all my ducks are in a row before I go ahead with purchasing everything. Thanks for the help.

Modified by CommoSoldier at 8:42 AM 1/17/2006
Old 01-17-2006, 06:43 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: Question about factory XM tuner/antenna and aftermarket radio (CommoSoldier)

I'm afraid you might have to find this out the hard way. It's been my experience so far (as the owner of a 2006 CM8) that people here don't know a lot about the 7th Gens.

I hope you'll keep us advised of what you find out and how it goes!

For some reason the V6-6 coupes come with a 180 watt system and six disc changer in the dash, so I can't imagine being in the market for a replacement.

Old 01-17-2006, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Question about factory XM tuner/antenna and aftermarket radio (CommoSoldier)

Call Crutchfield and ask them.

Here's the part at their site, within $1 of the site you had listed (before shipping).

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-i...97864

That's the advantage of Crutchfield, knowledgeable customer service who could answer questions like these (hopefully).
Old 01-17-2006, 07:15 AM

Default Re: Question about factory XM tuner/antenna and aftermarket radio (Heat)

there is also a mounting bracket that fits right under your factory dash in the cd holder. this will save you the hassle of having to mess with the factory a/c system, but i'm not sure if you will still retain full xm capabilities. if you get an aftermarket xm system, i don't see there being a problem in moving the xm harnasses over to the aftermarket radio. good luck!

head on over to metraonline.com for the mounting bracket.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:21 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: Question about factory XM tuner/antenna and aftermarket radio (Heat)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Heat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Call Crutchfield and ask them.
That's the advantage of Crutchfield, knowledgeable customer service who could answer questions like these (hopefully).</TD></TR></TABLE>
Plus, they're in Virginia, so they're actually 1/2-way nice about it.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:38 AM

Okay, I called Crutchfield. They weren't much help. But the representative did tell me that more than likely the factory XM tuner wouldn't interface with an aftermarket head unit. Instead of being in the dark about all this I soon plan on finding the XM tuner in the vehicle and seeing what kind of connections it has. I believe the tuner is mounted in the trunk under the liner next to the right wheel well. At least that's where it's installed if you get the dealer installed XM radio (mine came with the vehicle integrated into the factory head unit). I also think an FM modulator is used. All of this is quite an adventure. I'm very skeptical and hesitant about replacing the factory radio. But I do appreciate everyone's help. I'll keep you posted.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:39 AM

Default Re: (CommoSoldier)

Indeed they are. I have family that lives in Charlottesville and I'm from Newport News.