Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Lets list some of the possibilites as to why my car wont start....

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2002, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lets list some of the possibilites as to why my car wont start....

As most of you know my car is not starting and im in college at the moment. I was pulling up to park and my car just died. I pushed her into the parking space, tried to turn her own again, and I just get the sound right before it turns on. I really dont know if its turning over or not, I think it is, but im not sure.

1) Main Relay - But I doubt it due to it being cold outside

2)No spark - I havent checked because I dont have a spark plug socket here to pull it out and see a spark against the valve cover bolts(anyone know how to check without tools or just a philips)

3)I reset my ECU, just incase - NADA

4)No fuel - I checked it, nada

5)Ignition Coil - I have no clue how to check it without taking it autozone for testing(cat cant move)....

6)Igniter - Once again, I have no clue on how to check it without taking it to autozone(cant move)....

Anymore ideas would be nice, I am low on cash, but i have to do either the ignition coil or ignitor, its gonna be like 60, for each. Thanks in advance...
Old 11-06-2002, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lets list some of the possibilites as to why my car wont start.... (Ideal)

i always assume the simplest stuff first. I'd check (in this order)

THE QUESTION IS: do you have any remaining power at all? does your clock-light work?

1) battery cables on tight?
2) battery cables on tight to ground and starter?
3) if you were pulling in and it died...might be a bad alternator. A good alternator would've at least kept the battery charging and the car going.
4) i'd try to jump start it before i did anything else. free
5) if you do get it started...turn everything the **** off. No radio, no a/c, no fans, don't roll down more than your drivers power window...try not to use any power robbing accesories...geez, even use the hand-brake to slow down if you can safely (no brake light activation).
6) make it home to your tools...

Bad distributor? I know for the 92's they were a problem...

[Modified by RotaryBzzz, 1:31 PM 11/6/2002]
Old 11-06-2002, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lets list some of the possibilites as to why my car wont start.... (Ideal)

I WANNA PLAY!!!

i'll list some things, and go and try one by one.

1-) take your spark plug wire out of the spark plug, put the screwdriver where the spark plug conects and make it touch a ground, and tell somebody to try to start the car. Try this with the 4 wires justo to be sure.
2-) I don't know if this works, but take one injector out and try to crank it to see if the injector is sending gas, try this with the 4 injectors, just to make sure they are not dirty.
3-) Does the engine turn or it doesn't make any sound? i wasn't clear on this.
4-) i know you reset your ECU, but did you check every fuse?
5-) if you do #1 and you don;t get a spark you have to check Ignition Coil and Igniter, but if you get spark the first try my guess would be that these two are ok.
6-) this is a wicked tought, but did you check your timing belt? if not, try this, take the oil cap out and tell somebody to try to start it, and if you see the camshaft move it's ok.

DID I WIN?
good luck
Old 11-06-2002, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lets list some of the possibilites as to why my car wont start.... (GZERO)

Yeah, it does make a sound, like its trying to turn on. I think if it makes that sound its turning, but i dont really dont know on that.

I have full power when its in the on position, radio, clock, lights work.
the car has 123k miles on, i think the alternator would be ok, according to someone its still young?

Im gonna call triple A if i cant get it to start.

Keep on the with the ideas guys, thanks in advance

-Jon
Old 11-06-2002, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For checking spark, I take out my wire, touch the metal part of the screwdriver with that of the wire i just took out, and then touch another metal area of a screwdriver to another ground?

Or do I just pull the wire, and put the screwdriver(acting as a ground) like half an inch away and see a spark?

Also for the injectors, I dont know how take them out and turn them manualy, hell, i dont even know where they are....

keep the ideas comming guys...
Old 11-06-2002, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Slipped/Broken timing belt?

Did the same thing you mentioned on my 80 lude. Died and never started again. Bent all but one valve.

[Modified by niedejb, 3:56 PM 11/6/2002]
Old 11-06-2002, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lets list some of the possibilites as to why my car wont start.... (niedejb)

I just had my timing belt changed like in july and I havent droven the car more than a 600 miles probably, it was changed at the dealer to.
Old 11-06-2002, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

still try to check the belt as i told you, they might screw this up.
Put the screw driver where the spark plug would connect and make it close to a ground, or even touching one.
Old 11-06-2002, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it was changed at the dealer to.
Well there is no possible way then....c'mon.

Mine was also done by a dealer prior to the fateful day.
Old 11-06-2002, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lets list some of the possibilites as to why my car wont start.... (niedejb)

yup, no spark...